Front Lip and Headlight Scratches.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Front Lip and Headlight Scratches. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My front lip seems to be falling off, I pushed the rubber back in place but whatever clips or screws ...
    xxxcrown Guest

Front Lip and Headlight Scratches.

My front lip seems to be falling off, I pushed the rubber back in place but whatever clips or screws were holding it in are gone now. What kind of clips.screws are used to hold in the lip?

Also, on the top of my headlights where the headlight is flush with the hood, I have scratches from what appear to be rock chips? I don't know if this is common or what but the V's I looked at has similar damage on the headlights. Any idea how to get the scratches out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Re: Front Lip and Headlight Scratches.

Mine and the others I have seen also have the damage on top of the headlights, but I think it is sun damage that gives them that "worn leather" look.

xxxcrown Guest

I am taking about scratches on the top lens area.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

yeah that is also what I meant. Every V1 I have seen has looked the same, always real beat up and spider web looking on the very top where it really catches the sunlight, looks like the top layer of plastic starts to have micro cracks and splinters all over.

Teamsorad is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

they have a wet sand kit for the headlights. mine were really faded on the top, almost a foggy look. I had a friend do it for me, I can get the info if you like. Don't have a before pic but can post the after if that would help

you can post a pic of your headlights take make sure we are talking about the same thing

xxxcrown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teamsorad View Post
    they have a wet sand kit for the headlights. mine were really faded on the top, almost a foggy look. I had a friend do it for me, I can get the info if you like. Don't have a before pic but can post the after if that would help

you can post a pic of your headlights take make sure we are talking about the same thing
    Mine looks more like what carlson was talking about, like if the plastic is splintered on top. The only thing I could think of is that the slightest contact with pebbles and rocks cause it to get scratched.

vettepoweraddict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 v Black Raven

Trust me, its ultravoilet sun damage. The plastic along the gray edging on the top and sides starts to "crack" First you will have a couple then it will turn into dozens. I was going to paint my lenses to cover up the cracks but a thread on this site showed the 3M headlight resoration kit. It a sanding pad that fits on your drill and wetsand and polishes the lenses. Works perfect. I did mine and they now look new. BTW the gray is on the inside of the lenses. Also I highly recomend taping the painted fender edges off will mutiple layes of painter tape so as not to sand any painted surface.

It took me about 2 hours start to finish highly recomend

The bottom rubber "LIP" on the bottom of the bumper is held on with those plastic push rivets. They are a little bigger than the ones along the inner fender well to fender infront of the wheels

kerberos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

You can get the bumper rivets at any auto parts store. $3-4 a package for 4-6 rivets. The lip uses longer and more slender pins than the fender trim and bumper pins.

Like everyone else said, try wet sanding the headlights. I just spent some time with mine and it was worth it. You have to put some time into it, buts its worth it. Spend extra time on the buffing, it helps. I didn't like the polish that came in the headlight kits, was made for plastic, but didn's seem to do a good job on the clear and shine. I used a combination of the plastic wax and deep crystal wax. I was surprised by the outcome. Ended up doing my wives car and my truck too. Can't wait to do the tails on those two.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

for the lights i used mothers headlight restoration kit. They were pretty bad the first time. Now i do a full sand and wax once a year. Ill post pics when i get the picture off my phone.

thefulmonty_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Yea just pull a few out and take it with you to Lowes or Home Depot they'll have them there.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images

6 SPEED Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red Line CTS-V

I took it one further and covered the headlights with a 3m "clear bra" designed for the headlights and use a low dollar vinyl black overlay made out of a roll of vinyl striping from Pep Boys for the top of the headlight.

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Those headlights turned out great. Huge difference

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I used the Mothers kit and couldn't get the headlights to buff out real clear. Seem to show some swirls and I was buffing like a mofo with the drill....kinda sucked.

6 SPEED Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Red Line CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JD03Cobra View Post
    I used the Mothers kit and couldn't get the headlights to buff out real clear. Seem to show some swirls and I was buffing like a mofo with the drill....kinda sucked.
    I broke out the "heavy artillery" and used the full size paint buffer with a hard cut pad and the 3m buffing compound, came out great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.