H&R Lowering problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, H&R Lowering problem in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Recently bought a 2004 cts-v that has been lowered (i was told) 2 inches. I CANNOT keep a set of ...
    mark_patton21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cts-v

H&R Lowering problem

Recently bought a 2004 cts-v that has been lowered (i was told) 2 inches. I CANNOT keep a set of tires on it because its eating away on the inside on front and rear. Fenders have been rolled so there is no rubbing. I'm new to the "lowering" scene and had a few questions. I took it to the best alignment place in my area and was told it couldnt be changed because all the adjustment was set all the way in. Any suggestions? Tired of buying tires and I know there is alot of lowered v's out there and has to be some kind of solution! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: H&R Lowering problem

What are your alignment settings (all of them - camber, caster, toe, front and rear)?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Unless somebody cut the H&R's to drop the car even lower, the suspension should still be within its abilities to dial in an acceptable albeit somewhat "aggressive" alignment spec. Even then, the adjustment points could be "re-worked" a bit by a competent shop for a bit of extra adjustment range.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

At a certain lowering point the negative camber you have just can't be straightened out, the adjusting points will have been turned all the way in.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    What are your alignment settings (all of them - camber, caster, toe, front and rear)?
    Along with alignment specs, measure your ride height as well. That will tell us how much lower than stock you really are.

Measuring from the wheel well to the ground can be confusing because of differences in tire heights, you should measure from the center of your wheel to the top center of your wheel well.
    Faber and Faber like this.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

I have the same issue, never got it resolved so I'm in the process of upgrading to coilovers, the H&R's drop way lower than advertised. My front drivers side fender is all jacked up...

Im not sure of the alignment settings they were set to.. he adjusted the toe a little bit and the guy told me thats all he could do.. but i have been reading that alot of H&R springs settle alot lower than what they are advertised to do. I was told there was nothing that could be done for the front but i could get it on a lift and elongate the holes for the adjustment in the rear to where the wheels would tuck up in level.. Want to make sure that is possible before i go hacking away.v.jpg -- Heres the car now.. cant really tell in this pic how low it really is.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mark_patton21 View Post
    Im not sure of the alignment settings they were set to.. he adjusted the toe a little bit and the guy told me thats all he could do.
    Don't ever leave an alignment shop without getting the printout that shows what the car was actually aligned to (and checking the numbers on the printout to make sure they did something useful). If the guy adjusted the toe and said there was nothing else he could do then you paid for a bullshit alignment.

cant really tell in this pic how low it really is.
    But we could tell if you measured it, as suggested above.

The place charged me $10 because they just messed with the toe a little and said "theres really nothing else we could do". I took it to 9 different places that day before i finally found one who could actually get it up on their racks. (with lots of 2x4's and 2x6's stacked out 20 feet into the parking lot. But i measured it and it measured out almost 13" (12 7/8) almost identical on front and rear. Whats stock ride height?

caddiz06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    What does anyone recommend to lower a V series

caddiz06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    What does anyone recommend to lower a V series springs and what kind

Quote Originally Posted by caddiz06 View Post
    What does anyone recommend to lower a V series springs and what kind
    I have H&R springs with the rears spaced up slightly and the ride height is perfect IMO.. Others seem to be not so lucky. I'm wondering if they're actually running CTS-V springs and not just CTS springs maybe?

There's lots of info in this thread of mine from a while back. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-lowering.html

Also just for shits.

My wheel center to fender measurements are, 13.125" in the front and 13" even in the rear, but my rear measurement isn't really relevant since I spaced up my back springs slightly as mentioned in the above thread.

Also, another thought.. If the places you're bringing your car to have to lay out 20 feet of boards to get your car up onto their equipment, they are probably not used to or familiar with aligning lowered cars. You may want to consider taking it to an actual performance shop instead of a general automotive garage running an alignment special.
    Faber and Faber like this.

Ny's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cts-V

Ed how is your alignment? Do you have any or had any issues with getting yours all dialed in? the last few days there has been ppl complaining about this. i was just about to go the H&R way myself but not if im gonna be eating thru tires. i had to deal with that as a 18yr old and im over those days.lol
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    I have H&R springs with the rears spaced up slightly and the ride height is perfect IMO.. Others seem to be not so lucky. I'm wondering if they're actually running CTS-V springs and not just CTS springs maybe?

There's lots of info in this thread of mine from a while back. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-lowering.html

Also just for shits.

My wheel center to fender measurements are, 13.125" in the front and 13" even in the rear, but my rear measurement isn't really relevant since I spaced up my back springs slightly as mentioned in the above thread.

Also, another thought.. If the places you're bringing your car to have to lay out 20 feet of boards to get your car up onto their equipment, they are probably not used to or familiar with aligning lowered cars. You may want to consider taking it to an actual performance shop instead of a general automotive garage running an alignment special.

I'd have to really dig to try and find the numbers from last time I had it done, but I want to say off the top of my head that the front camber was in the 1.2-1.5 range, and the rear camber was in the 1.8-2.0 range. Can't recall the caster and toe off hand, but I can say that I'm not having any tire wear issues either.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post

Also just for shits.

Definitely running CTS-V springs, not CTS springs and way too low even with large rubber spacers. Strange how it could be so different from car to car... that said it's not going to be a problem for me anymore!

----------

Attachment 98243 -- Heres the car now.. cant really tell in this pic how low it really is.
    Clean looking ride, love the red calipers! Trying to decide between yellow and red myself right now..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.