HIDs in the fogs need a special ballast?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, HIDs in the fogs need a special ballast? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, I got some cheapo HID bulbs for the fogs, with the slim digital ballasts. While they both work.... ...
    carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

HIDs in the fogs need a special ballast?

Hey guys, I got some cheapo HID bulbs for the fogs, with the slim digital ballasts. While they both work.... generally only one will work at a time or neither.

Contacted the seller and they will give me a refund, but they say the V needs a Canbus Ballast that they guarantee to work which they also offer to sell ($30)

Any ideas if that is legit? The way the fog switch is on our cars makes me think their might be some tricky relays/switching going on within the car where it doesn't detect any bulbs, doesn't give the ballasts time to fire, etc.

Thanks for any input as I'm just guessing. I'd like to run these 3k bulbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Just buy a descent kit. Toss the cheapo shit !!! You drive a caddi !!! Not a civic haha

Regular hid kit and ballast should work.
    Bigtuna819 and Bigtuna819 like this.

I think most guys are ordering from "ddm"

Re: HIDs in the fogs need a special ballast?

I actually tried an Ebay vendor due to a lot of shady DDM practices, not to mention my fair share of failures of their products also. I might just go that route again though.

Personally I just buy from a dealer right in my town. Amd they warranty everything right from their shop. But I've never had issues.

I have the hid foglights in my car, and yeah you don't need a special ballast or anything extraordinary.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I'm running the standard DDM 35w HID in the fogs and they require no special parts.... not sure what their reasoning would be for needing something special but they don't. have you checked to make sure all the connection are secure and in place?

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You all remember that the foglamp wiring is reversed relative to normal, right? If your HIDs don't fire, flip the polarity.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic
    You all remember that the foglamp wiring is reversed relative to normal, right? If your HIDs don't fire, flip the polarity.
    ???? Reversed ?? You have one power wire and one ground wire... On most hid kits I find you have to reverse the connectors. I don't think that's just a Cts v foglight issue.

On my first set of his foglights for my car they plugged and played just regularly plugging them in. The new 6000k set I just bought I had to reverse them. I don't believe it's the cars "foglight wiring is reversed relative to normal"

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stepchild21 View Post
    ???? Reversed ?? You have one power wire and one ground wire... On most hid kits I find you have to reverse the connectors. I don't think that's just a Cts v foglight issue.

On my first set of his foglights for my car they plugged and played just regularly plugging them in. The new 6000k set I just bought I had to reverse them. I don't believe it's the cars "foglight wiring is reversed relative to normal"
    Yeah, I reversed them like most kits require, but no love. They work.... just only sometimes, and with some flickering. The seller said its common with the kits he sells to Caddy and BMW owners and is offering me some different ballasts, but he is also offering a full refund without having to ship them back, which is pretty cool. I think I might do that and order a set from DDM.

Do you guys use the slim digital ballasts or the full size sets for your fogs?

Bigtuna819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

i went with the ddm slim kit. No complaints or regrets here...

I used the slim ballasts for all my hids. I didn't think they still sold the full sized ones

Thanks

For 35 watts, the DDM slim kit is fine, but in general, you should use the full-size DDM Raptor whenever you can because they're more reliable and carry a better warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    For 35 watts, the DDM slim kit is fine, but in general, you should use the full-size DDM Raptor whenever you can because they're more reliable and carry a better warranty.
    +1. I had a couple issues with their slim kits in past and the full sized raptor kits are barely any bigger, no pigtail, and never an issue with those.

The build quality on the DDM Raptor is superb. Their slim kit feels like a toy in comparison.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.