Bluetooth with an excellent mic
Bluetooth Audio
IPod Integration
Pandora and iHeart Radio Apps
USB
Free Real Time Traffic
Hooked up to my rear view cam
ETC...
I keep my iPod Touch and Verizon WIFI hotspot in the car and it gives me every source of music I could want. I will post pics once I figure out the permanent place for the Pod and hotspot.

I should have done this sooner. The sound is much better than the stock headunit. Now I need some speakers to round out the system. I will keep you guys posted on my choices.

See less See more
#2 ·
how'd you get/do the trim panel around it? looks great

#3 ·
Very nice. Caddy upset me by not having all the DIC info simply scroll through under the speedo where it should be, then there would be a real purpose to that steering wheel button to scroll through that info. Why they put a digital speedo next to a perfectly good analog speedo?

#7 ·
Are there any other ill effects of removing the oem head unit? I really want to get rid of dont really care bout the temp and odometers and such. Can you swap tge unit and still use the stock bose speakers? Does traction control and stability control still work? Thanks

#10 ·
Will the oem bose speakers humm if you swap the H/U but not the speakers? I had bose in my 350z and swapped just the head unit and there was like a fuzzy/scratchy/humming sound or whatever you want to call it when there was no music or other media playing. I ended up doing everything in that and dont really want to do that with this car. I hate that f*@$en stock thing.

#14 ·
So i followed your link, and it looks to be the same thing. I started browsing and it seems pretty simply to put in a stereo. Pick the one you want, buy the pac adapter to keep the chimes and thats it? All plug in play? Am I missing something? Yes I know you lose your DIC stuff but is it really that easy?

#24 ·
So you completely bypassed the bose shit? I ended up doing that in my 350z because after i changed the head unit it has a static hum when no music was playing and was irritating. But i dont really feel like doing all that, just wamt to swap the HU. Did you cut off the factory stereo plug that goes into the OEM HU?

#25 ·
Yeah Bose is completely history now, that was actually one of my first mods when I bought the car in 08. I didn't cut the harness off completely, I just snipped the power, ground and accessory wires and left everything else intact. My previous setup I actually ran power directly from the battery I have in the trunk to the head unit, grounded the ground to the chassis and ran an accessory wire from the Climate control in the rear fuse panel drivers side. However somewhere along those paths I was picking up serious noise so this new unit I just put in I went to the factory lines.

I've tried several different setup a over the years. First setup I pulled the factory Bose speakers and used a JL clean sweep off the Bose amp to two alpine amps with a JL W6 and components in the fronts and rear. That worked great until the damn sunroof drain lines in the trunk flooded an destroyed all my components I had installed in the spare tire well (actually happened to me twice, ruined 2 sets of amps and cleansweep systems)

Next setup I modified the stock nav unit and put a single din popout aftermarket unit where the 6 disc changer is, added another set of components, in the rear arm rest, new center channel in dash and upgraded to a JL 12" w7 with 1 mono amp and three four channel amps all alpine.

Finally I just pulled the entire stock unit out as I realized I never used it anyways after a year of driving and swapped in a different pioneer double fun head unit. now the system is clean, loud, and pro with lots of features like Bluetooth, app support, navigation, 1tb hard drive stuffed with media, headrest monitors (never use them haha), DVD, pandora, Netflix, hd radio, integrated Dash Command app in the head unit for gauges and checking/clearing Check engine lights and more!

My recommendation is you pull the Bose, it's complete crap IMO. You can upgrade every speaker to decent aftermarkets for $200 and trash that worthless 8" rattle can sub in the trunk, you will b much happier with the quality if your tunage!

#30 ·
You need to get a PA15-Vette and it sounds like you will be happy with the stock stereo. Get over the need to play CD's, lol. Play the MP3's from your ipod and if you have an iPhone you can stream pandora right into the stock stereo. I added my 15" sub, pulled out the bose, and the system sounds pretty good now. I can live with the bose mids and highs, they aren't bad, aren't great, but are acceptable.

#28 ·
Typically there is an adapter/harness that basically converts the audio from hi-level to low level outputs that will work with the Bose amps (vehicle specific adapter). If done right, you shouldn't have any issues. It's pretty much adapt new head unit to Bose amps, or bypass it and run whole new stuff. That's pretty much the deal.

#32 ·
Probably been discussed since the car came out, but has anyone been able to replace the head unit and keep all the dic info? Because I actually use it often lol. Also for those who have an after market unit, how can you tell when your traction control or stability control system comes on? is there another way to tell besides looking at the screen on the stock unit?

----------

Probably been discussed since the car came out, but has anyone been able to replace the head unit and keep all the dic info? Because I actually use it often lol. Also for those who have an after market unit, how can you tell when your traction control or stability control system comes on? is there another way to tell besides looking at the screen on the stock unit? ()

#33 ·
There is a post out there.... Someone installed a basic CTS unit, had the dealer program it in. The Top screen is left in and radio cut out- modified to fit an after market double din. One would need the PAC unti to keep bose/on star/chimes... Or just bypass it all

The only thing holding me back.... Not sure about the cost and hassle (above) and not sure I want to go w/o the diagnostics in the stock radio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.