New Head unit Installed - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, New Head unit Installed in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Think I'm going Kenwood because (as far as I'm being told) is the only aftermarket head unit using genuine Garmin ...
    ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: New Head unit Installed

Think I'm going Kenwood because (as far as I'm being told) is the only aftermarket head unit using genuine Garmin GPS.

Of all the functions I regret loosing, the volt meter is the only one I'll try and replace with some sort of aftermarket gauge....I know when my oil needs changing, I understand that it could be icy outside, I know when to turn on my headlights and I could really care less about the rest of it.....won't miss my factory head unit which has nice, "no chip" buttons and a clean screen if anybody is looking for a replacement!!!!!

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I like my Kenwood, Garmin NAV was one of the leading reasons I went that route. Persoanlly, I think the base model CTS radio conversion looks better and more OEM than using the Metra kit for a double din install.

FWIW, just got $600 for my OEM head and GPS DVD unit on eBay. That's pays for a lot of aftermarket goodies.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

weren't you goin to post a how-to?

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    weren't you goin to post a how-to?
    who me? I have two little kids, I'd never agree to that. I do plan on taking pictures as soon as it warms up outside. Everything I did has been well documented in other threads already.

musta misunderstood.

would love to see pics. Also are you controlling volume with the CTS volume controls or from the aftermarket head unit?

My aftermarket head unit controls everything. The CTS radio is in place for cosmetics and the DIC functions only.

fweasel, which Kenwood did you go with? I've been looking at the 890hd listed below. What kind of phone are you using? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-eXce...item3f2cb085f2

I have the excelon 890HD, very happy with it. The parametric EQ gives you enough control to tweak the system and most of the normally buried menus are easy to get to with hot buttons. The ergonomics are better than the last two excelon double din models I've owned and the current version of Garmin Nav software is hands down the best I've used to date. I was even able to edit the start-up and background images with a CTS-V logo.

I use a Galaxy S3 and the bluetooth phone part of that works flawlessly. I use an old 160gb iPod classic hardwired with the accessory cable as the primary source of MP3 files. Sounds better than bluetooth link on other head units I've used, search function is the best I've seen in a while, but it's a little slow to skip between multiple songs. Not sure if that's a refresh problem caused by the older model iPod, the huge number of files I keep on that iPod, or simply the data speed employed by the Kendwood iPod interface. I've been meaning to try a newer iPod Touch to see if that changes any thing, but its a minor annoyance that hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about.

My only real complaint has been the buggy Pandora App integration. Again, unsure if it's a Kenwood issue, Android, Samsung Galaxy, or Pandora issue. I was hoping to use it more, but rarely even bother with it.

890HD.jpg
    kevler9oh likes this.

Nice looking setup! I like the way you combined the 890 with CTS DIC but I probably won't even bother.

I'm looking at the Crutchfield reviews on this HU and I see "its been freezing up" and "it takes it a full 60 seconds to boot up" problems but I'm suspecting that these reports may be skewed because people report problems long before they do success.

Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving?? Someone noted that having to pull over to work with the GPS was a pita...

Last thing, does it look like this ebay kit would have everything I need to install this?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...5eec6c&vxp=mtr

Thanks for your time!

Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving??
    it's usually a ground wire that is wired to your parking/e-brake. most people just ground it out.
    The CTS radio is in place for cosmetics and the DIC functions only.
    good to know though for me, i'd rather the volume control come from the CTS since i'll be using a tablet with no steering controls. i'll have to figure out how to get it to work or add a separate control in place of the volume knob.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    I'm looking at the Crutchfield reviews on this HU and I see "its been freezing up" and "it takes it a full 60 seconds to boot up" problems

Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving?? Someone noted that having to pull over to work with the GPS was a pita...

Last thing, does it look like this ebay kit would have everything I need to install this?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...5eec6c&vxp=mtr
    Older firmware, no longer an issue, or none that I've encountered with the most recent version installed at the factory.

Ground the parking brake wire. Nav still has a one time safety bypass acknowledgement, but after that, all features are available while driving, including watching the rear view camera!

Not sure what you're going to need for your car. I used a steering wheel control adapter to keep those buttons active, an ipod cable add-on, an On-Star add-on to keep that active with the dash center speaker, and then the usual power and line level wires run to the trunk where all of my amplifiers and crossovers are installed.

I too was lucky enough to sell my stock NAV unit for $600 on ebay.

Based on that I purchased a used Kenwood 890HD.

I chose this unit because it has all the features I need and it has Garmin Nav which I am used to. I bought used ($630) because I'm cheap and because ebay offers a warranty ( http://pages.ebay.com/warranty/squaretrade.html#q2 ) that gets as good reviews as the factory Kenwood warranty and I have 30 days to buy it....put the stereo in, if I don't like, turn around and resale without taking much of a hit, if I do like it, spend the $165 for the 2 year warranty and call it a day. The biggest challenge (that would affect me anyway) with aftermarket HUs is there ability to pair up with certain phones. Who's to really say for sure if this HU and my Iphone are going to play nice...only time will really tell.

For installation kits, I went with....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...114c98&vxp=mtr

not the.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...4aa190&vxp=mtr

because the first on has a nice detail embossed in it that really tends to breakup the sea of plastic created when you take out the stock NAV.

It will be at least a week before I can get around to installing this so I will take a few pics of the install if anyone is interested...it should be straight foward.

disclaimer....this picture is not of my car but hopefully, that's what it will look like when done....

If you're worried about compatibility, flash the unit with the latest firmware before messing with any settings.

I just traded in my 890HD for the new 891HD. Should have it installed in a couple of weeks.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    A nav with no buttons just looks too weird in this car...
    HotRodNerd likes this.

The only thing weirder than the way the car looks without the stock nav is the way it works with it....
    HotRodNerd likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.