New Head unit Installed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, New Head unit Installed in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; i used to remember reading threads which made a stereo install a pain but cant remember why. maybe it was ...
    catch2otwo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS_V

Re: New Head unit Installed

i used to remember reading threads which made a stereo install a pain but cant remember why. maybe it was getting a good surround for the h/u? but there seems to be a good option now.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Everything I've read about head unit changes being a pain dealt with trying to keep the DIC, or substituting it. Removal of the head unit isn't the hard part.

howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

If all it was, was keeping the DIC then i say forget it. I would prefer an ipod plug and some other nifty features over the DIC

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

best thing i have done to my cts was getting rid of the DIC to upgrade the stereo. i did change the front door speakers also with a set of infinity's. the ipod and bluetooth make it all worth while.

Sounds like its a go for me. I was just concerned with compatibility issues between the new head unit and the bose speakers.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    It's an easy swap and you can find the adapter plastic surround on ebay just search CTS stereo dash kit. I have a pioneer head unit, my thread is also on here a few down.

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    It's an easy swap and you can find the adapter plastic surround on ebay just search CTS stereo dash kit. I have a pioneer head unit, my thread is also on here a few down.
    How much was your wiring harness adapter thing? I went on crutchfield and they sent me a link to one that was like $120. It said it retains all the chimes and stuff. Is this necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by howanicm View Post
    How much was your wiring harness adapter thing? I went on crutchfield and they sent me a link to one that was like $120. It said it retains all the chimes and stuff. Is this necessary?
    I actually didn't use a wiring harness, just soldered connections off the factory harness (power, ground, accessory) using a wiring diagram. All my speakers are running off 4 different amps which are connected to my head unit by pre-amp lines and direct speaker wires from the amps to each speaker. If you don't want to go this route, I believe you will need to run lines from the headunit to the factory Bose system in the trunk which if memory serves me right is where the speaker lines terminate.

I haven't noticed any missing chimes myself, at least none that I was paying attention to in the first place! haha

So you completely bypassed the bose shit? I ended up doing that in my 350z because after i changed the head unit it has a static hum when no music was playing and was irritating. But i dont really feel like doing all that, just wamt to swap the HU. Did you cut off the factory stereo plug that goes into the OEM HU?

So you completely bypassed the bose shit? I ended up doing that in my 350z because after i changed the head unit it has a static hum when no music was playing and was irritating. But i dont really feel like doing all that, just wamt to swap the HU. Did you cut off the factory stereo plug that goes into the OEM HU?
    Yeah Bose is completely history now, that was actually one of my first mods when I bought the car in 08. I didn't cut the harness off completely, I just snipped the power, ground and accessory wires and left everything else intact. My previous setup I actually ran power directly from the battery I have in the trunk to the head unit, grounded the ground to the chassis and ran an accessory wire from the Climate control in the rear fuse panel drivers side. However somewhere along those paths I was picking up serious noise so this new unit I just put in I went to the factory lines.

I've tried several different setup a over the years. First setup I pulled the factory Bose speakers and used a JL clean sweep off the Bose amp to two alpine amps with a JL W6 and components in the fronts and rear. That worked great until the damn sunroof drain lines in the trunk flooded an destroyed all my components I had installed in the spare tire well (actually happened to me twice, ruined 2 sets of amps and cleansweep systems)

Next setup I modified the stock nav unit and put a single din popout aftermarket unit where the 6 disc changer is, added another set of components, in the rear arm rest, new center channel in dash and upgraded to a JL 12" w7 with 1 mono amp and three four channel amps all alpine.

Finally I just pulled the entire stock unit out as I realized I never used it anyways after a year of driving and swapped in a different pioneer double fun head unit. now the system is clean, loud, and pro with lots of features like Bluetooth, app support, navigation, 1tb hard drive stuffed with media, headrest monitors (never use them haha), DVD, pandora, Netflix, hd radio, integrated Dash Command app in the head unit for gauges and checking/clearing Check engine lights and more!

My recommendation is you pull the Bose, it's complete crap IMO. You can upgrade every speaker to decent aftermarkets for $200 and trash that worthless 8" rattle can sub in the trunk, you will b much happier with the quality if your tunage!
    shadybx7 and shadybx7 like this.

Sorry for spelling errors damn wrote that on my iPhone! Damn autocorrect...

Damn. Thats way more work than i want to do. The sound quality i can live with but that oem head unit i cant. I mostly want to be able to play mp3 cds and connect my phone for pandora.

03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS
    Typically there is an adapter/harness that basically converts the audio from hi-level to low level outputs that will work with the Bose amps (vehicle specific adapter). If done right, you shouldn't have any issues. It's pretty much adapt new head unit to Bose amps, or bypass it and run whole new stuff. That's pretty much the deal.
    etcts-v and etcts-v like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 03GrayDTS View Post
    Typically there is an adapter/harness that basically converts the audio from hi-level to low level outputs that will work with the Bose amps (vehicle specific adapter). If done right, you shouldn't have any issues. It's pretty much adapt new head unit to Bose amps, or bypass it and run whole new stuff. That's pretty much the deal.
    Thats the answer i was looking for! Thanks. I didnt want to spend $600+ on a deck and it dosent work properly ha

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Damn. Thats way more work than i want to do. The sound quality i can live with but that oem head unit i cant. I mostly want to be able to play mp3 cds and connect my phone for pandora.
    You need to get a PA15-Vette and it sounds like you will be happy with the stock stereo. Get over the need to play CD's, lol. Play the MP3's from your ipod and if you have an iPhone you can stream pandora right into the stock stereo. I added my 15" sub, pulled out the bose, and the system sounds pretty good now. I can live with the bose mids and highs, they aren't bad, aren't great, but are acceptable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.