Need Feedback on My Aftermarket Stereo!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Need Feedback on My Aftermarket Stereo! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I finally pulled the trigger on just pulling the entire NAV unit out of the car and replacing it with ...
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Need Feedback on My Aftermarket Stereo!

I finally pulled the trigger on just pulling the entire NAV unit out of the car and replacing it with a pioneer unit. Before I had modified the stock unit to accept a single din Clarion Nav Unit which worked ok, but honestly the Clarion was a complete POS. After driving the car I realized I never use the factory NAV unit so it's getting pictched!

I went with the Pioneer AVH-8400BH. In the past I've always been a Kenwood man and steered clear of Pioneer, however after lots of research I found this unit had several features that made it the best option. Most importantly it has "Advanced App Mode" which supports apps from my iphone that can be controlled by the head unit. The three main apps that caught my eye were Pandora, GPS Drive and most importantly Dash Command.

With this unit I can use the GPS Drive Naviation App (fantastic app by the way) which allows me to save several hundred dollars over the built in DVD/Nav units. Plus the app will stay current with maps, traffic, etc without requiring additional map upgrade purchases down the line. The Dash Command is what really got me excited, I bought an iphone wifi OBD-ii dongle which will send signal to my Iphone and then to my NAV Unit. I will be able to pull real time engine info including rpm, mpg, intake temps, etc from the OBD and display it on my head unit. In addition I can pull and clear CEL codes directly from my head unit!

Dash Command: http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php

Pioneer Head Unit: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P8400BH

Now here is my dilemma, the aftermarket dash kit looks like complete sh*t, looks like a sea of plastic on an already plastic dash. I'm pondering ideas on how to dress this up a bit through paint, decals or wrapping it in leather or vinyl. I cannot for the life of me think of what would look good, I think any color other than black would look stupid and straight black wouldn't really solve the issue. I tried wrapping the bottom HVAC in carbon fiber vinyl and it looks cheap IMO. Any thoughts, opinions?

I did just order some of this stuff which may look slightly better than what I tried already: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200787236484...84.m1497.l2649

Also ordered some of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320942645341...84.m1497.l2649

Possibly thinking of this which looked great on my valve covers: http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/wrinkleplus/

Here are some pics, first two are my old setup, next three are what I have now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: Need Feedback on My Aftermarket Stereo!

the shape of the panel is much, much better - well done... I'd like to see pics of the whole console, put together (and eventually all wrapped/dipped in the same stuff)

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    That looks awesome. May have to do this at some point down the road !!

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Are you getting the DIC codes?

If so the single DIN comes out today and the touchscreen or IPad goes in.

If u want a carbon fiber look the 3M DINOC stuff is hard to beat.

IMO - the only reason the kit looks so plain is the removal of all of the buttons and going from triple DIN to double DIN. There just ends up being a lot of extra space. I've been struggling with what I would do as well. That's why the IPad may be an option. The only issue with the iPad is no Bluetooth integration with my phone.
    etcts-v and etcts-v like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    Are you getting the DIC codes?

If so the single DIN comes out today and the touchscreen or IPad goes in.
    I'm still waiting for my wifi ODB dongle to arrive today to truly test the CEL codes and see level of detail I can get to. That said there are levels of DIC codes from GM that I won't be able to see, however my plan is to purchase HP tuners or EFI Live which we give me all the info I need for that level of diagnostic, checking and troubleshooting. I've also considered investing in a tech II.

With that said, I think my long term plan is to purchase a CTS unit and do this mod with it which will allow me to see DIC codes.

Yeah that is what I found this weekend. Too bad though because dash real estate is always limited.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Looks great. Very nice work.

Pho_phizzat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good job man!

NickL84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts-V

I love it, good job! Question, the plastic bezel that goes around your indash, that's from a non nav CTS, however is that available in the gray/wood grain color as well? I have that/nav in my 05 V and when I switch over to a double din this year. Thanks!

- Nick

My setup is an aftermarket dash kit (first post pictures) but the picture I posted above is a standard CTS unit modded and I'm almost certain they have a wood grain option on those.

Just discovered this system, 8" would be a good step forward in closing up the sea of plastic!

http://shop.alpine-usa.com/products/...0.0.0.0?pp=12&

Ive had my eye on that one too!

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

I just purchased a pioneer nav unit and am ditching be stock unit. Anyone know the color/pin location of the speed sense/vvs wire in the stock radio harness?

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

go to the Cadillac faq page:http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html
    should have what you are looking for there. radio: page 2 in the connectors section

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.