Thoughts on GM Accessory Refinish?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Thoughts on GM Accessory Refinish? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have the GM accessory rims and most of them have curb rash (from previous owner, not me), though I ...
    Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(

Thoughts on GM Accessory Refinish?

I have the GM accessory rims and most of them have curb rash (from previous owner, not me), though I recently had one replaced due to an accident that is in perfect shape. I retained the damaged rim and was going to have it repaired, but it got me thinking that I should have all the damaged rims refinished. Then I came across this post - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...in-me-its.html - and that got me to thinking that I don't have an f'ing clue on how to have them refinished. Seems the bulletin is saying that they should not be clear coated, but I can't imagine it being left bare either. I really like how they set off the black paint so I'm not certain about getting them painted. In essence, I have no clue what to do.

Also, had a shop recently recommend that I use a sealer and polish on the rims as opposed to something like the Armorall Wheel protectant. Actually was very adament to stay away from any acid based item, though I question if the amorall wheel protectant is an acid based product since it's a coating and not a cleaner.

Any thoughts/advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: Thoughts on GM Accessory Refinish?

I'll just +1 on wanting to ask the group the same question... best way to paint GM Accessory wheels in a durable way? just scuff, prime, basecoat, clear?

Faber, any reason why you don't want to powder coat them? That's the first route I'm thinking. I had stock wheels, powder coated, but got spooked running with the risk of cracks people reported on those wheels. But that was different metal than the Accessory wheels, I believe... I can't find the post, but someone said, I believe, powder coating the Accessories would be ok

Paint = $200, min
    PCoat = ~$300
    05 CTS-V (390hp/383tq) forged pistons & H Beam rods, balanced crank, TFS 220s, YT 1.7 rockers, Comp Cam 229/239 .627"/.621" 111.5+3, Super Damper, 63lb injectors, Fast 92, 90mm TB, LS7 clutch, RAM flywheel, Alradco, Kooks, Magnaflow, Volant CAI, MSD starter, CS Red MMs, roll bar, RaceTech seats, 6pt harnesses, remote oil & PS coolers, KWv3s, v2 brakes, Carbotech XR1s, 2pc rotors, Hotchkis sways, Revshift red bushings, BMR toe rods, trailing arms & anti-hop kit, Powergrid endlinks

Haven't even considered powder coating them, definitely something to look into...I like the polished aluminum look though and I'm guessing that Powder coated wouldn't be the same, correct?

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

ah, ok, i didn't catch that you just wanted to clearcoat them. That's something that'd be good to know as well but, as far as I know, any kind of polished metal is going to haze up and show scratches, particularly if you change the wheels often.

You could go with chrome or powdercoat, but it wouldn't be the same as the hard-to-maintain aluminum. What about that Shark Coat stuff?

(If anyone wants to trade a set of Team Dynamics wheels for my set of GM Accessory ones, message me... I can't stand the aluminum finish. It's either trade them or swap them for other light wheels.)
    05 CTS-V (390hp/383tq) forged pistons & H Beam rods, balanced crank, TFS 220s, YT 1.7 rockers, Comp Cam 229/239 .627"/.621" 111.5+3, Super Damper, 63lb injectors, Fast 92, 90mm TB, LS7 clutch, RAM flywheel, Alradco, Kooks, Magnaflow, Volant CAI, MSD starter, CS Red MMs, roll bar, RaceTech seats, 6pt harnesses, remote oil & PS coolers, KWv3s, v2 brakes, Carbotech XR1s, 2pc rotors, Hotchkis sways, Revshift red bushings, BMR toe rods, trailing arms & anti-hop kit, Powergrid endlinks

Technikal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts-v
    I'm taking mine off for powder coating this week. I need new TPMS sensors anyway. Would be even better if you time it to when you need tires but. Its $80 a wheel here locally for me. Not including the sensors. The question is now flat black or gloss????

thefulmonty_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

small wheel.jpgI got all my curb rash fixed and got them powdercoated for 500$...all 4. awrswheelrepair.com
    imagejpeg952.jpg

That's not too shabby.

Redxped1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v 04 cts-v

What color is that

He told me he did a black base and some sort of hyper silver, it pops more when the sun is on it...but i wanted something different other than just black.

Pho_phizzat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I like the black!

The black looks great, but I just wanted to offset it a little, I got the color idea from another member Edmund something.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.