Cts v dual halo aftermarket headlights. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Cts v dual halo aftermarket headlights. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; etcts-v, I'd be interested in hearing what kit you bought and what options you purchased (if any). I'm running a ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Cts v dual halo aftermarket headlights.

etcts-v, I'd be interested in hearing what kit you bought and what options you purchased (if any). I'm running a 35W DDM foglamp kit with 4200K bulbs bought elsewhere, and figured that I might try their 4500K option for use with this housing.

Have you considered using the stock ballasts and buying a D1S adapter for the H7 bulbs?

Lastly, I'd be interested in hearing how bright the primary bulbs are compared to the stock setup, since the OEM projectors have the old school diffused lenses instead of being completely clear.

By the way, on those headlamps, is the interior black and the outer edge OEM grey?

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

I agree that anything beyond 6k makes me think RICE and more than 2 pair of halos on a car makes me think double RICE. For aftermarket housings these look nice though.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

The halo rings are 7000k so I went with the 35 watt 6000k slim H7 kit from DDM. Originally I purchased the 50 watt kit but decided against it as I didn't want to blind oncoming traffic nor melt any housings.

I sold my stock ballasts for $85 each on e-bay to help pay for these new lights so I don't have them to use with this setup, plus I'm pretty sure there is no way you could fit a D1S bulb in these headlights. Personally I like the 6000k look, white with a very slight hint of blue, stock 4300k is to yellow for me.

Yes the outer edge is grey which looks like crap on my completely blacked out car!

Here are some photos of my lights as well as the comparison between the H7 and D1S so you can see what I mean by them not fitting. Note in my pictures that this is only the Halo lights, no headlights as the headlights are not in my car yet.

D1S Bulb:

H7 Bulb:

Is there any way to add the headlamp washers in there?

Unfortunately No, that was my hope as well. It's one solid piece just shaped like the headlight washers. I just removed the lines and capped them off at the reservoir. Still trying to sell the pumps on e-bay! Haha

I did get the edges painted up last night, I'll post a pic tonight after the paint drys. Excited to see how they look all black!

And back to black, much better!

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Yours are wayyyy brighter then mine. You definitly got the true 7000k ccfl's. I'm pissed but man do yours look good. Congrats !!!!

Before you and I forget, could you provide a few general details regarding your paint selection and application process?

danrob0123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 RAVEN CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    And back to black, much better!

Please post a bunch of pics once you get 'em installed! I'm thinking of ordering a set of these too. I've had a cracked headlight lens forever so I've been looking for a replacement and these look like a great buy

I'll post pics for sure! Hopefully the lights from DDM will be in the mailbox when I get home tonight and I can get everything back on!

Fuzzy, the painting is really easy. First mask off the center of the lights paying careful attention to the new lines you want for the edges. I went in a 1/4 just to make sure there was no way to see the grey edges. Luckily on these lights there are very distinct clean lines that you can follow with the masking tape for clean straight edges.

Next step I did a light sanding with 800 grit around all the edges to remove the gloss on the plastic and get a good roughed up starting point, I made sure that any shiny parts were sanded enough to produce a dull base. I then cleaned the edges with some duplicolor prep spray. The prep spray removes any wax, greases etc, even though these are new I wanted to make sure there were no chemicals on the surface to mess with good adhesion.

The prep spray always leaves an oil residue which you want to make sure is completely removed. This was easily accomplished with a good wipe down with acetone, the acetone will remove any chemicals and leave a nice dry finish. I then sprayed one light coat of adhesion promoter followed 10 min later by three light colors of Dupli-color gloss (you can use any color or paint you want on this if you have a different colored car) waiting at least 10 min before coats (critical step, painting plastic has a propensity to bubble if you spray coats two thick or don't give the 10 min set time). Following 15 min of drying of the base I sprayed three light coats of dupli-color clear and viola!

You may be tempted to do thick coats of clear or more than three coats but I would highly recommend you avoid this. I've experimented a lot with painting plastic and thick coats or many coats of gloss not only run, but will crack or bubble when drying. 3 coats is plenty. If you want more protection (these are in the front and prone to rock chips), after you're finished let everything dry for 7-10days. After its set rock hard you can go back do a light sand and spray more clear, the best would be to clear the entire from of the assembly as there will be a distinct edge from the masking which would be best protected with a sanding fade of the edges and a clear to cover and lock in everything.

here are the products I used:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumEnamel/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/greaseWaxRemover/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesionPromoter/

Looking forward to seeing pictures of these things installed. I'm on the verge of buying a set with DDM Raptor 55W 4500K H7 bulbs, but I'd like to see how they look on a CTS-V first. I'd also like to try to etcts-v to paint them for me, but he's on the other side of the country. :/

I wish I could put the washers in there and restore the corner LEDs. Does anything flash when you lock the doors?

Finally, I'm worried about the color temperature of those halos. The eBay page says 7000K, which is really, really ghetto blue/purple. Most people that take pictures of headlights have no idea how to color the color balance settings of their cameras, so it's really hard to tell what the true color of the lights are. etcts-v, is the color in your pictures the same as they are in real life?

7000k on the halos are a very bright white. Defintly nowheres near a "ghetto blue/purple" purple usually is only in anything 12000k and up.

Also the halos flash when you lock or unlock your doors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.