Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Can you take a picture? I'm not sure if you're talking about the clearance between the forward-facing portion of the ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V?

Can you take a picture? I'm not sure if you're talking about the clearance between the forward-facing portion of the tire and the bumper, or some other area.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by seeyouinajif View Post
    Your car sittting still looks like AAIIIC's outside wheels during a hard corner. There is no way your car is the same height as his.
    Keep in mind the race rubber in the pictures is 275/35 which is about 1.2 inches smaller in diameter than the standard tire. Tire clearance will look different to that of the stock size even though the suspension settings are the same. Also, Junior1 and I (and also AAIIIC I believe) have as much negative camber the car will allow. Junior1 even more so due to his modifications. I'm not sure about Junior1 but AAIIIC and I have rolled rear fender lips.

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    I'm not sure about Junior1 but AAIIIC and I have rolled rear fender lips.

Looks like yes.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways

That doesn't look right at all. Have you checked your rack for breakage?

No I have not. Youre referring to the steering rack I assume. I think im going to have to visit the brother in law and get on his lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    No I have not. Youre referring to the steering rack I assume. I think im going to have to visit the brother in law and get on his lift.
    Have you gotten an alignment since the repair? That might uncover any potential issues.

Yes, recently. The repair was two years ago. Nothing was noted. I had quite a bit of work done when the alignment was done as well so any issues should have been noticed.
    Work done:
    Crankshaft rear oil seal replacement.
    DM flywheel was replaced, all driveline bushings inspected and deem ok, no cracks, all one piece including transmission mount, drive shaft and center support.
    No signs of MM damage or separation.
    Oil pan replacement, engine was pulled and cradle removed as they couldn't hang the engine as shown in si.
    Replaced diff carrier drain or fill plug.
    Left front outer tie rod.
    AC belt and tensioner.
    Right lower control arm...my fault.

alignment.jpg

Ewww. You have 1.49 degrees of difference between your front caster angles. That may be the problem.

For comparison, my alignment is much tighter: 0.0 degrees of cross camber, 0.2 degrees of cross caster, and 0.02 degrees of toe, which I requested to prevent the car from driving right on roads with significant crown. The rear was less tight, because my stock toe rods had almost totally seized. Now that I have BMR toe rods, I'm going back in next week to have the whole thing redone. I'll probably go 0.1 degrees of toe out in the front this time.

This is greek to me haha. I will need to read about alignments and the differences to understand these numbers.

Im noticing they based the specs off of the FE4 setup, is this why my spec ranges are so much different than yours or did you specify your own?

I specified my own, based off the stock alignment settings printed in the FAQ.

It bit me in the ass. Drove up to work, 4.5 hrs, got to the parking compound and I hear a noise...check it out aaand...tire wore through a bunch of the inner shroud. F sakes. Have to take the car in anyhow as they got brake fluid on my calipers and ruined the finish and the new windshield still leaks where it was before.
    Now they can fix those f ups and the shrouding...try to get that covered as warranty on their retarded alignment. The front forgestars are no larger in diameter with a 245/40 as our original wheels, correct? The car was already lowered when they did the alignment too so I'm putting all the blame on them.

The front tires may be the same diameter and width but the offset is not the same. The rear tires are, again, the same diameter, but their offset and width is different.

It's a three dimensional problem that the dealership is not responsible to solve. All they're going to do is tell you that they set your alignment within the broad, factory specs for stock ride height. It's not their fault that your lowered car ate a fender liner. Over the course of tuning my suspension, I've annihilated several fender liners. So has everyone else with modified suspension. Some on this forum have destroyed so many that they don't install them anymore.

Bottom line: you're going to look like an idiot if you try to put the blame on them for the liner. You're better off pretending to be stupid, although that's unethical. Going to a dealership to get an alignment is almost always a bad idea, unless you own a stock car and want a rough, stock alignment. What you want with a lowered car is an aggressive, precisely dialed-in race alignment. The dealership will not do that for you for liability reasons--some wont even touch the suspension on a modified car for that very reason.

Understood, makes perfect sense. I was just a little peeved at the time of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Understood, makes perfect sense. I was just a little peeved at the time of writing.
    **This is the front portion of the front fenders**
    25765935 FENDER LINER LEFT ($40.08)
    25765934 FENDER LINER RIGHT ($38.93)

**This is the rear portion of the front fenders**
    25750635 LINER EXTENSION LEFT ($39.55)
    25750634 LINER EXTENSION RIGHT ($41.36)

I had to create a list of commonly broken parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.