Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic Time to put proper springs in the rear. I encourage you to try a pair of ...
    Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Re: Opinion - Matte Black, Piano Black, or Gunmetal on Infrared CTS-V?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Time to put proper springs in the rear. I encourage you to try a pair of Swift Z60-228-140 (9" length, 784 in-lbs) springs in the rear.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-tuning.html
    Yeah really fuzzy!!!!, where was this mention all while oozing about these forgestar rims?, I too have tire rub running narrower tires than what you decided was the best fit!. Yes, I'm paying around $125 a month just in car insurance on a car I can't drive unless I want to ruin my $500 rear rubber running these forgestars!. As far as I'm concerned you can take all your data and stick it. All was good on these tires from what I read on your reports!, again, I'm ****ing wrecking my new tires due to fender rub!. I have some forgestars forsale...just don't want anymore work and expense because these rims are to wide.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    Yeah really fuzzy!!!!, where was this mention all while oozing about these forgestar rims?, I too have tire rub running narrower tires than what you decided was the best fit!. Yes, I'm paying around $125 a month just in car insurance on a car I can't drive unless I want to ruin my $500 rear rubber running these forgestars!. As far as I'm concerned you can take all your data and stick it. All was good on these tires from what I read on your reports!, again, I'm ****ing wrecking my new tires due to fender rub!. I have some forgestars forsale...just don't want anymore work and expense because these rims are to wide.
    The wheels are fine. You have your KW Variant 3's or Ground Control kit set too low. If you want to run a quarter inch off the rubber, you need much stiffer springs.

Get your s**t straight and stop blaming other people for your problems.

Really! So if you have stock springs and 4 adults and hit a mid sized bump your wrong as hell!,the suspension will travel to point of rubbing, or hard cornering with 2 people..either way I can't drive this car let alone drive it the way I used to!. Again, your a douch! My fenders will have to be rolled if I want to keep this ****ed rims.

----------

Get your s**t straight and stop blaming other people for your problems.[/QUOTE]

Hey!, your the Internet expert on this...just read your posts

You're 1/2" off the rubber. That's 2" lower than stock ride height.

Return the car to stock height OR choose: wreck your tires and fenders, or buy the shocks and springs necessary to support your OTHER modification.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Both rears are rubbing. It looks good this low but in the meantime I'm going to have to raise it up some. I still have to cut the axels as I realized I dont have that size socket in my toolbox so ill do it all then.

As for those springs, how do those affect ride harshness? Am I going to be bouncing around? Are there still rubbing issues at all with those?

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Both rears are rubbing. It looks good this low but in the meantime I'm going to have to raise it up some. I still have to cut the axels as I realized I dont have that size socket in my toolbox so ill do it all then.

As for those springs, how do those affect ride harshness? Am I going to be bouncing around? Are there still rubbing issues at all with those?
    You're approaching this problem the wrong way. Fundamentally, you're restricting the suspension's normal full range of motion by putting an obstruction in the way. There's a tradeoff to be made. A lower ride height looks cool, but more importantly, it lowers the Z-axis center of gravity (CG) of the car and it reduces the size of the air gap between the bottom of the vehicle and the road. Both of those things are good--one increases roll stiffness and the other improves aerodynamics.

But going too far (e.g. "slamming" the car) prevents the suspension from doing its job, and decreases handling capability. Mn800r is at that point--in fact, he's got a reverse rake situation going on there (rear is lower than the front), which is pretty much the worst of all worlds. Not only does his car look bad with the rear end sagging like that, it drives slower than it would if a) his weight distribution wasn't effed up, b) the suspension was allowed the freedom of motion to do its job and c) the underbody wasn't trying compress something like 3000 CFM of air at 60 mph.

Important point: cars that are fast also look fast. My advice is to take a look at the fastest CTS-V1s on the road today--guys that hit the track constantly like AAIIIC and Junior1--and ask yourself, if your settings are more aggressive than theirs, why that is.

AAIIIC:

Junior1:

The bottom line is that I'm not going to focus on solving your rubbing problem. You can fix that by simply raising the car. In lieu of spoon feeding you or forcing you to read this thread (still a work in progress), all I'm going to do is point you at three spring combinations that will improve your handling balance and oops by the way reduce rubbing because the springs are stiffer.

By the way, don't simply expect to install new springs and leave your compression and rebound settings the way they are. You'll have to retune everything to find an optimum trade-off between control and comfort for the ride height you've selected. That includes an alignment. Or several. In some cases (like Mn800r), you may have to cope with the fact that your expectations for ride height are unrealistic or untenable.

Mediocre:
    - 2x KW generic brand (8" length, 70mm ID, 574 in-lbs) springs in the front (free-ish)
    - 2x Swift Z60-228-120 (9" length, 60mm ID, 672 in-lbs) springs in the rear ($170 at MAPerformance)

Front/Rear Natural Frequency: 1.45/1.45 Hz
    Front/Rear Bias: 0% (equal)

Notes: equal rate is not optimum--does not meet the 10-20% rear rate criteria for high speed ride comfort--but still better than KW stock reverse bias. Should permit lowering of rear to within 1.5" of 285mm rear tires at -2.0 degree camber without rubbing. Front still prone to damaging fenders under bump loads while cornering. Decent roll resistance with Hotchkis or Addco sway bars.

Good:
    - 2x KW generic brand (8" length, 70mm ID, 574 in-lbs) springs in the front (free-ish)
    - 2x Swift Z60-228-140 (9" length, 60mm ID, 784 in-lbs) springs in the rear ($170 at MAPerformance)
    - 2x Swift 044101 60mm thrust sheets ($21 at FRSport)
    - 2x Swift 744303 70mm thrust sheets ($21 at FRSport)

Front/Rear Natural Frequency: 1.45/1.57 Hz
    Front/Rear Bias: -10%

Notes: suspension balance within optimum range. Should permit lowering of rear to within 1.0" of 285mm rear tires at -2.0 degree camber without rubbing. Front still prone to damaging fenders under bump loads while cornering. Decent roll resistance with Hotchkis or Addco sway bars.

Better:
    - 2x Swift Z70-203-120 (8" length, 70mm ID, 672 in-lbs) springs in the front ($170 at MAPerformance)
    - 2x Swift Z60-228-160 (9" length, 60mm ID, 896 in-lbs) springs in the rear ($170 at MAPerformance)
    - 2x Swift 044101 60mm thrust sheets ($21 at FRSport)
    - 2x Swift 744303 70mm thrust sheets ($21 at FRSport)

Front/Rear Natural Frequency: 1.57/1.67 Hz
    Front/Rear Bias: -6%

Notes: suspension balance a little lower than optimum (bumps in the 30-50 mph range might exhibit some pitch). Textbook optimum balance would require 1008 in-lb, 8" rear springs (Swift Z60-203-180), which would be overly harsh and uncontrolled due to limits of KW Variant 3 valving. Should permit lowering of rear to within 0.5" of 285mm rear tires at -2.0 degree camber without rubbing. Front nearly immune to contact with fenders, even under bump loads while cornering. Excellent roll resistance with Hotchkis or Addco sway bars.

Finally, you can use a sawzall with a good blade to knock two threads off the axle stubs. There's no reason for them to be that long--GM wasted material there.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Understood. I obviously have them set too low, was fine with stock wheels but I didn't get around to adjusting them before heading into the city.

I'm looking for drivability in the meantime, until I have a chance to start playing with the springs and settings. This is all new territory for me, my technical understanding is lacking but I'm trying to get up to speed.

Will fender rolling help with the front end fender damage due to corner bumps? Or is more of a cop out just to allow a lower image. And how much would that help in the rear as far as bump damage?

Please understand I'm not looking for the easy way out, I want functionality over image...but it is also summer afterall, I can't not drive her

Rolling your fenders will give you a little bit of wiggle-room, but not nearly enough. The money that you'll put into rolling the fenders should be spent on springs. In the short term: raise the rear. It's free. I would put in an order for springs today, if I were you.

By the way, if you could simply "band-aid" the rubbing problem by cranking up the compression dampening on the KW Variant 3's, I would have mentioned it. But the problem is that you simply don't have enough spring under the corners to prevent the corners from compressing under sustained load. In other words, it's not the job of the shocks to control ride height. Their job is to dampen the rate of change of your suspension when acted upon by an outside force.

If you want to think about it this way, shock damping controls the rate of motion (compression and rebound) of the suspension, but cannot prevent it from compressing or extending to its full length over time. So, for example, if you massively increased compression damping in the rear to prevent it from compressing under bumps, you'd have a very harsh ride that *might* not rub when you hit certain bumps, but you'd find that over a second or two of continuous cornering or acceleration, oil in the shock will slowly leak through the valves (as is intended) and the rear will collapse because the spring isn't sufficiently strong to hold it up.

Will order when I head back to work so they're home when I am. Pros and cons of working away for weeks ar a time.

Question about trimming the axels. I've got years of steel fab so that's no issue, I'm planning on using a zip disc, are the axel nuts one time use? I definetely don't want to damage any of the studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Will order when I head back to work so they're home when I am. Pros and cons of working away for weeks ar a time.

Question about trimming the axels. I've got years of steel fab so that's no issue, I'm planning on using a zip disc, are the axel nuts one time use? I definetely don't want to damage any of the studs.
    The 35mm axle nuts are supposedly single-use (torque to yield). Those stubs run about 1.5" past the nuts, so you'd really have to screw up to mess up the nuts.

More hub information here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ear-skf-x.html

I'd have to cut the axel on an angle, it didn't seem like the angle grinder was going to fit flat and take off enough. Ill take a closer look shortly.

Again fuzzy, does this look like your "keyboard gospel" reverse rake? my driveway is slopped for water run off as it should be and is very comman,unlike garage ports. The point is there are a lot of keyboard technicians out there and your the biggest on this foru. Another point is you took a look at my last photo and spouted off measurements based on a look(keyboard expert)in which are both wrong. The paper I hold for my H&R springs states 1.2 fr. & 1 in. Rr. Not 2 in. lower than stock as you state.

One more point of your keyboard wisdoms, this photo of mine looks just like AAIIIC's car..

My over all tire Dia. are the same as stock,it's the offset that messed this up to the point where I can't drive the car unless I spend more time and money. Would have been a nice thing to know besides just how great these are. $2600 spent to keep it in the shed..

----------

Metal01, you may want to contact forgestar as I did and get these caps for FREE,they sent 4 with o-rings.

seeyouinajif is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

One more point of your keyboard wisdoms, this photo of mine looks just like AAIIIC's car..

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Your car sittting still looks like AAIIIC's outside wheels during a hard corner. There is no way your car is the same height as his.

Quote Originally Posted by seeyouinajif View Post
    Your car sittting still looks like AAIIIC's outside wheels during a hard corner. There is no way your car is the same height as his.
    Correct. In the picture you quoted, he's cornering. In the other, he's accelerating.

Metal01, you may want to contact forgestar as I did and get these caps for FREE,they sent 4 with o-rings.
    Thanks but its now done, used a 40 grit flap disc with no issues.

Also I adjusted "A" measurement of the kw spacer to roughly 1" driver side and 1 3/16" passenger side. Test drive may have confirmed no more rub, I'm going to put marks on the rubber for 100% confirmation. Both sides are close to 14" fender to center and visually still looks slick.

An area of concer I've noticed: my front bumper is not original, it was replaced doe to a brief "off road excursion"..what ive noticed is the gap between the tire and inside bumper on the driver side is much smaller than the same gap on the passenger side. Everything else seems to line up pretty well. I've never taken the bumpet off myself, what should I be looking for? Are there adjustments?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.