KW variant 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, KW variant 3 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey everyone, I need to get new shocks, mine are going bad. I have ground control coilover kit now but ...
    isakhanyan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo Manual

KW variant 3

Hey everyone,

I need to get new shocks, mine are going bad. I have ground control coilover kit now but I have decided to just get the KW variant 3. How hard is the installation process? Where can I get them the cheapest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: KW variant 3

Hey - I just finished installing the KWv3 on my 05 V... I bought mine for $2033 shipped from tunedcustoms & they arrived in 3 days - http://myworld.ebay.com/tunedcustoms...84.m1497.l2754

The instructions for the ground control kit pretty well sum up what's involved: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...all/index.html. I'm no pro, so it took me around 5-6 hours for the front and 2 hours for the rear. That's mostly to BS like a stripped wheel stud and strut tower bar bolt...

The only thing that I'd change from those instructions is that you don't have to drop the rear cradle to remove the rear springs. Once you've gotten the rear shock bolt off and . the 21mm bolt holding the control arm, the spring perch will drop but not quite enough. Remove your rear end links and loosen the sway bar - that'll let you swivel it out of the way and you can then pull the springs out. Also, with the KW3 kit on the rear, you'll need to pry out the upper and lower rubber spring mounts.

Last thing I'll say is, for me, I set the front springs waaaay too low out of the box. It made front spring install easier but I ended up having to go in and re-adjust upward.

kciaccio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Awesome. let us know how it drives after. Thanks!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I had put a nice, detailed "how to" in this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...led-today.html - but that thread appears to be gone for some reason. (I found the link to it in another thread about KWs.) I just sent a note the site administrator to see if there's anyway that thread can be recovered; it had plenty of good info about the install and feedback on performance and ride quality from a few different KW users.

Long story short, installing the KWs is no different than installing any other struts/shocks. They include pretty detailed instructions, including very specific measurements on where to set the spring perches so that your ride height is good from the start. (jclayc, did you not get those instructions, or did you just not see/use the part about setting the spring perch heights?)
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Presence Distribution is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 09 V

We can get you a set of KW coilovers, send an email/PM.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

hmmm, there were instructions with my kit but they were either how to set the dampning/rebound or what parts to keep off the existing shocks. (Only like 2 pages of actual instructions instead of warnings in German.) I'm at a good height now, I believe.

It's tough for me to make a clean judgment on the KW3s because I also installed Hotchkis sways and new endlinks but, compared to the FG2s (which were a BIG improvement) there's much less body roll & the ride quality is still good. I need to adjust my rebound settings a bit softer because of some chattering over bad road but that's just part of getting them broken in.

My only issues, one related one probably not related: I've checked all my bolts but it sounds like something's looser than it was when I go over big bumps. My next issue is that I got the car from the hand wash this AM and my stability system message came on w/ tc and abs now lighting up on the dash. ugh

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I had put a nice, detailed "how to" in this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...led-today.html - but that thread appears to be gone for some reason.
    Thread restored (thanks to JimmyH).

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    hmmm, there were instructions with my kit but they were either how to set the dampning/rebound or what parts to keep off the existing shocks. (Only like 2 pages of actual instructions instead of warnings in German.) I'm at a good height now, I believe.
    I suppose it's a moot point if you've gotten the suspension set up already, but there should have been 2 sets of instructions - 1 detailing how to put them on the car, and 1 detailing ride heights and damping adjustments. Their website has them both listed - here's the right height / damping instructions.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

I love my KWs, I'd buy them again.

2006CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by isakhanyan View Post
    Hey everyone,

I need to get new shocks, mine are going bad. I have ground control coilover kit now but I have decided to just get the KW variant 3. How hard is the installation process? Where can I get them the cheapest?
    Are you willing to sell your Ground Control Kit? What shocks where they for? I am currently looking for a GC kit - figured might can help you on the cost for the KW V3s

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Let us know if you find it cheaper then $2Gs..

good thread here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...led-today.html

Quote Originally Posted by 2006CTSV View Post
    Are you willing to sell your Ground Control Kit? What shocks where they for? I am currently looking for a GC kit - figured might can help you on the cost for the KW V3s
    stock shocks

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2006CTSV View Post
    The question should be, what spring rates. 600F/650R is perfect. I went with 500/550 with my stock shock and they were too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by 2006CTSV

I'm replacing them bc I need new shocks, I can sell you the ground control kit once I get a set of the kw's

2006CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    The question should be, what spring rates. 600F/650R is perfect. I went with 500/550 with my stock shock and they were too soft.
    yea - true that. how can i contact you about a short throw? looking to get one soon...

Quote Originally Posted by isakhanyan View Post
    I'm replacing them bc I need new shocks, I can sell you the ground control kit once I get a set of the kw's
    - interested - what is the spring rate? and what shocks were they for (need them for fg2's)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2006CTSV

yea - true that. how can i contact you about a short throw? looking to get one soon...

- interested - what is the spring rate? and what shocks were they for (need them for fg2's)

thanks
    I have the fg2's but I don't remember what the spring rate is. How do I check that?

Another question for you guys, I have the hotchkis sway bar and the z06 end links, will I have a problem?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.