stereo install build, 06 CTS-V, competely bypassing the Bose crap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, stereo install build, 06 CTS-V, competely bypassing the Bose crap in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The car is a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V, and its 'infotainment' system is very dated, to say the least. The speakers ...
    .:stealth:. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

stereo install build, 06 CTS-V, competely bypassing the Bose crap

The car is a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V, and its 'infotainment' system is very dated, to say the least. The speakers sound horrible, and the radio doesn't even play mp3s, let alone have an auxiliary input. The whole thing is just crap and is in much need of some modernization.

My day to day activities revolve around my android phone (a Galaxy S2) and I'd like to integrate my phone with my car. (just as the latest model cars do these days) I want to start with the audio system, and we'll see where it goes from there.

I like great sound quality, so my home and car audio need to be top notch. I've done a few car audio setups in some of my other cars in the past, but now I really want to go all out with some nicer equipment...

So lets get started on the parts we have together:

Speakers:
    -Hertz HSK 165 2-way component system
    -JL Audio 12w6 subwoofer in sealed JL Audio enclosure
    Amp:
    -Audison LRx 4.1K 4 channel amplifier
    DSP and EQ:
    -Audison Bit Ten D
    Sound treatment:
    -Second Skin Damplifier Pro for deadening doors and trunk
    -Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro - closed cell foam & vinyl for absorbing airborne waveforms from escaping the doors.
    Other items of interest:
    -MHL adapter (for digital HDMI audio output from Samsung Galaxy s2 micro-usb port)
    -DC to DC power supply for 12v to 5 volt conversion (to power the HDMI to toslink converter)
    -Galaxy s2 (digital audio source, pandora and stored music playback)

You can probably see where I'm going with this. The setup is actually fairly simple and geared towards keeping the signal digital for as long as possible while using a quality DAC when it eventually gets converted to analog. (and believe me, if I could afford an audison amp with optical input, I would be all over it)

The phone will be mounted to my dash with a proclip. As you can see in the diagram below, the phone will be connected to the MHL adapter that charges the phone and transfers digital audio output via HDMI cable to a converter box that converts it to toslink SPDIF. (the connection the Audison Bit Ten D accepts)

Eventually I'd like to run HDMI from the converter box to a 7" LCD screen where the stock navigation resides currently to mirror the display of my phone for better accessibility while driving.

Now that you have an idea of the project, here's a neat diagram that outlines everything, as well as some progress pictures.

----------

Bit ten D... a damn nice DSP.. optical input ftw

Sexy amp!

Comparison, stock bose vs. the new Hertz drivers. Mmmm nice!

The gaping holes gotta go!

Second skin treatment completed on this door... onto the next one!

Most of the door is covered in two layers of second skin Damplifier. On top of that is the 3/8" luxury liner that mainly covers over the large gaping holes. This stuff is heavy too! It's about 10 lbs per door! The Hertz mid bass fits perfectly and does not interfere with the window. No modification needed. It's not shown in this picture, but i have since wrapped the plastic spacer with sound deadener and luxury liner.

Slowly building out the trunk here. Since I removed the stock 10" Bose sub from the rear deck, There's now some nice venting between the trunk and cab. I'm going to place the sub just below the hole in the rear deck facing upward. I'm also goign to seal off the sub behind some 3/4" MDF to isolate it from the rest of the trunk. The sub will have no where to vent to except the hole in the rear deck. This should reduce trunk rattling and keep all the bass in the cabin. There will be somewhat of a 'sub chamber' between the rear seats and back of the trunk. I should still have plenty of room for groceries. The Amp will be mounted onto this MDF board and visible when the trunk is opened. You'll see when it's done...

Looks good there, fits perfectly too. I can close the tray and no one would know it's there.

stock sub... something missing here? The driver is actually on top, nifty space saving design I guess.

tweeters installed! I pried out the bose logo and glued on the Hertz one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I hate my AMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black LS6 CTS-V

Re: stereo install build, 06 CTS-V, competely bypassing the Bose crap

Well done ! This is sick !!

.:stealth:. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

it's no where near done yet, but thanks!

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
    Similar to what I plan to do. Curious what you come up with for the new Nav/screen. Are you going to to a remote stock Nav setup?

LAYGO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V - '96 Impala SS

AHHHH! A man after my heart . . .

I've had plans for awhile to do something similar, but with no real direction. I've wanted to install a tablet in my dash & I just had the idea of an MHL adapter & something like the Bit Ten. I have bought a tablet (turns out it's too big & it's borked presently, some hardware issue, just got it back from Asus today & it's STILL NOT RIGHT), so I am thinking of something like the Touchpad. I also have a CTS DIC that I will try to integrate as well. I figure my center stack to be: tablet/dic/hvac. We'll see.

With my Galaxy Nexus & some UPnP apps, I could control most of it from my phone or the tablet. The Nexus supports NFC & I've already got Tasker to help automate so many things. Oh man, my head swims with all the possibilities!

The previous owner already changed out the door speakers & I've already got a Kicker 10" mounted in the rear tray. Just need to get it all worked out.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

You ought to buy some quality stuff instead of that crap you have!!! haha dang its going to be nice when done.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

nice.. great diagram.. on the rest of the build

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7
    nice.. great diagram.. on the rest of the build
    Similar set up in mine. Audison amp is a beast.

----------

This was done back in 2008 by Steve Hester in Austin, TX.
    Since I've moved to Michigan the Morels didn't like the cold and had to be replaced with Dynaudios

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter%20Designs/

LAYGO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V - '96 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post

----------

Since I've moved to Michigan the Morels didn't like the cold and had to be replaced with Dynaudios

How is that single piece trim working out? Is it difficult to take off? Vibrate? Looks pretty slick . . .

JD03Cobra is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I've seen this setup in person...Let's just say I wish I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post

----------

Quote Originally Posted by LAYGO

How is that single piece trim working out? Is it difficult to take off? Vibrate? Looks pretty slick . . .
    I don't recall ever needing to remove it. I was able to side the HU right out when it needed servicing. There are no rattles

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

Very nice! I like the new Hertz logo on the tweeter cover...

awdtalon92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

tweeters installed! I pried out the bose logo and glued on the Hertz one.

[/QUOTE]

Do you have detailed pics pf how you installed the tweets onto the A-pillar? I was able to get the tweets from my Alpine SPX-17PRO on there, but have not reattached the stock grills yet, because I had to hack up the retaining clip mechanism to for the tweets. I have some epoxy ready to install some small magnets so I will be able to pop the grill on and off. Just wondering how you did it.

Thanks.

jamie.beaird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none, yet

Quote Originally Posted by LAYGO View Post
    did you fabricate this or buy it? Where can i get one?
    and are u using the DIC still?

Quote Originally Posted by jamie.beaird View Post
    did you fabricate this or buy it? Where can i get one?
    and are u using the DIC still?
    Steve Hester, The installer who did my V, Fabricated this for me. He's currently working for Games2U so I doubt he's in the business but he might still have the mold that he used for mines. I'm no longer using the DIC. I use aCar on my android phone.
    However the V has been a garage queen since July.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.