Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've been working on this project for a while and finally finished it up this week. I re-did the entire ...
  1. #1
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576

    Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    I've been working on this project for a while and finally finished it up this week. I re-did the entire audio system including a 205 amp alternator, big 3 upgrade, audio battery in trunk, 4 amps 2000 watts, 1 W7 12" sub, and a total of 13 speakers.

    I also modified the stock nav system to hold a aftermarket dvd/nav system where the 6 disc changer was. I have headrest monitors, back up camera, bluetooth, ipod control, wifi and lots more features. Also removed the rear arm rest and built a custom box for speakers in its place.

    Here are a few quick pics from my iphone, I'm thinking I'm going to remove the cadillac vinyl decal from the sub but other than that it's finally complete! Trunk is wrapped in the same suede I did my headliner in:

    IMG_0345.JPG

    IMG_0344.JPG

    IMG_0342.JPG

    IMG_0340.JPG

    IMG_0348.JPG

    IMG_0350.JPG

    IMG_0352.JPG

    IMG_0351.JPG

    IMG_0338.JPG

    DSC02628.JPG

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Double post

  4. #3
    rwarden90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v 2006
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    37

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    can you elaborate or explain moron how you did the head unit cause im sure thats somthing most people will be interested in


    Also killer set up mad jealous of this.

  5. #4
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Quote Originally Posted by rwarden90 View Post
    can you elaborate or explain moron how you did the head unit cause im sure thats somthing most people will be interested in
    Thanks for the compliment, was a lot of work!

    So the head unit mod wasn't super complicated but did take some doing. The hardest part was all the bondo work to redo the face so it looked decent. Basically when you open up the nav unit the six disc changer is in the bottom section, all you have to do is disconnect it and remove it. Then cut out the metal casing to accept the aftermarket unit as well as the plastic cover and slide the new unit in.

    I ran all new wires for power, ground, speakers, rca's, navigation antenna, bluetooth mic, so the unit is completly independent of the factory unit. The factory wiring all stays stock. The factory unit still operates as normal but it is not connected to any of the sound system. This way you retain the factory navigation if you want it (aftermarket is WAY better) and all the stock car controls. The aftermarket unit opens in front of the factory NAV screen and closes when you want to use the factory NAV unit.

    The benefit of this beyond having front, rear and sub pre-amp outputs and improved control over your EQ and sound is that I now have full ipod control including video, pandora, etc to the aftermarket unit, have bluetooth, a USB input for a hard drive, better navigation, HD and Sirius radio, video in and out for headrest monitors and other video input sources and a rear backup camera which is badass seeing as I have 15% tint and tinted reverse lights.

    Also note that the factory NAV unit has nothing more than a piece of acrylic infront of it, if you screen is scratched you can swap it out with a new piece from Home Depot for $5 and the screen is brand new!

  6. #5
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Here are a few Install Pics:

    DSC02167.JPG

    DSC02171.JPG

    IMG_0309.JPG

    IMG_0324.JPG

    DSC02515.JPG

    DSC02588.JPG
    Attached Images

  7. #6
    garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    245

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Its a nice system but for kicks I have to imagine trying to explain how to use this on a family trip, no those button work the old system, no that is the wrong screen, no use the remote instead of the knobs, no only this other gps can do lookups while driving, yes both can play dvd's but I have to slip the ebrake on for this other screen since I have gps going on this other, no you can't get any audio with that movie since I want to hear the directions but I don't want to slip the ebrake on anyway so forget it.

  8. #7
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter
    Not that complicated, you use the aftermarket system for everything. The only purpose of retaining the old system is for checking car systems and retaining gm service lights.

  9. #8
    shadybx7's Avatar
    shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,483

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    I like it. over the top and high attention to detail. congrats on being done. you need to enter that into some shows. get the V1 some attention
    etcts-v and etcts-v like this.

  10. #9
    amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunbright, TN
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Looks good

  11. #10
    Tackelbarry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    162

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Custom work takes time and planning. And then more time and planning. Ask me how I know. Nice job it looks great!
    etcts-v and etcts-v like this.

  12. #11
    I hate my AMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black LS6 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northern Jersey !
    Age
    22
    Posts
    153
    Too extensive for my taste but I think you did a great job. !

  13. #12
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,786

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Quote Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
    Its a nice system but for kicks I have to imagine trying to explain how to use this on a family trip, no those button work the old system, no that is the wrong screen, no use the remote instead of the knobs, no only this other gps can do lookups while driving, yes both can play dvd's but I have to slip the ebrake on for this other screen since I have gps going on this other, no you can't get any audio with that movie since I want to hear the directions but I don't want to slip the ebrake on anyway so forget it.
    This is basically why I stopped going down the aftermarket road.

    Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Not that complicated, you use the aftermarket system for everything. The only purpose of retaining the old system is for checking car systems and retaining gm service lights.
    Your right its not really that bad but I personally don't like the screen in front of a screen. My option was to either 1) get a video in to the stock crap or 2) use a stock CTS radio to maintain the DIC funtions and hack in a 7" touch screen where they have the huge disc changer space. Option 2 would still work out but me being over the top I would have spent and arm and a leg for something I don't really need.

    All of that negativity aside (sorry) your looks great and it turned out nice.

  14. #13
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Your right its not really that bad but I personally don't like the screen in front of a screen. My option was to either 1) get a video in to the stock crap or 2) use a stock CTS radio to maintain the DIC funtions and hack in a 7" touch screen where they have the huge disc changer space. Option 2 would still work out but me being over the top I would have spent and arm and a leg for something I don't really need.

    All of that negativity aside (sorry) your looks great and it turned out nice.
    Yeah I explored the option of modding the stock unit, unfortunately the stock screen pins do not allow an easy tap in and there are no options within the software of the stock nav unit to capture a video in even if you soldered in a connection. Plus you would still not have the Bluetooth audio features, WAY better navigation, the enhanced ipod control and USB inputs, HD radio, etc.

    Also the screen folds down with one push of a button, hasn't been an issue as I very rarely use the stock NAV unit, only to make adjustments to oil change counter or the like.

    You can add ipod controls to the stock unit (although Iím not sure how much control, especially with video you get from that mod) and there is a Bluetooth option out there that works great if you want to get rid of our onstar (I used it for a while and loved it as Seattle has no cell phone while driving laws).
    There is one option for the video screen, someone does make a screen that you can solder in that allows you to toggle the screen between the stock nav unit and an aftermarket unit, but this screen costs a good chunk of change and could be really confusing to operate.

    I never thought about using the CTS radio; however I don't believe the stock CTS radio has the same functions that come in the CTS-V. I could be wrong, but I do know that many of the GM codes (non-odb codes) flash on the NAV screen and there are many functions within the stock NAV system to make changes to the car.

    Another thing to note about the stock Bose system, is if you haven't looked at the speakers in the doors on pillars you should. They are complete crap!! With that said if you're not an audiophile then it's not really worth the money to upgrade, money that could be spent on blowers and heads!

  15. #14
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,786

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Yeah I explored the option of modding the stock unit, unfortunately the stock screen pins do not allow an easy tap in and there are no options within the software of the stock nav unit to capture a video in even if you soldered in a connection. Plus you would still not have the Bluetooth audio features, WAY better navigation, the enhanced ipod control and USB inputs, HD radio, etc.

    Also the screen folds down with one push of a button, hasn't been an issue as I very rarely use the stock NAV unit, only to make adjustments to oil change counter or the like.

    You can add ipod controls to the stock unit (although Iím not sure how much control, especially with video you get from that mod) and there is a Bluetooth option out there that works great if you want to get rid of our onstar (I used it for a while and loved it as Seattle has no cell phone while driving laws).
    There is one option for the video screen, someone does make a screen that you can solder in that allows you to toggle the screen between the stock nav unit and an aftermarket unit, but this screen costs a good chunk of change and could be really confusing to operate.

    I never thought about using the CTS radio; however I don't believe the stock CTS radio has the same functions that come in the CTS-V. I could be wrong, but I do know that many of the GM codes (non-odb codes) flash on the NAV screen and there are many functions within the stock NAV system to make changes to the car.

    Another thing to note about the stock Bose system, is if you haven't looked at the speakers in the doors on pillars you should. They are complete crap!! With that said if you're not an audiophile then it's not really worth the money to upgrade, money that could be spent on blowers and heads!
    Well it sounds like you know more than I when it came to grabbing a video in source. I did sell off a stock radio to a member for him to explore it but he never got around to doing so. Not really worth it anyhow because of the resolution and date of equipment etc.

    I actually had the ipod add on and it sucked quite frankly. It would indeed allow you to operate the ipod but the buttons on the NAV didn't display anything and it just wasn't integrated as fully as I liked. I sold it.

    I think I know what your talking about with the screen toggle thing. It was like $800 though so you are back to a stock CTS radio or your option again.

    And lastly the stock CTS radio will work fine and still display all your V functions. You just have to have the dealer program the radio to tell it is in a V and not a base CTS. I forget where the thread is and didn't see it searching rather quickly but its been done.

    Yeah I agree the system is lacking who knows maybe one day I'll upgrade some crap. I chose the go fast route with the V. Besides I usually don't blast my tunes anyhow, have to be able to hear the countermeasures!

    Nice install though, really well put together.

  16. #15
    etcts-v's Avatar
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington,
    Age
    33
    Posts
    576
    Thread Starter

    Re: Audio System and Trunk Finally Complete!

    Great to know on the CTS option! If you swapped the LED's in it like I did in my HVAC screen and cluster it would look decent, a lot better than this option. Yeah the $800 one is the one, pricey mod just to update a crap NAV unit to begin with, but still very cleaver.

    Just getting going on the speed mod's now myself, got new heads and cam to put in this weekend to compliment my intake, headers and exhaust followed my the LS7 clutch and tune! Super stoked, nothing beats the hum of these motors!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting