New custom fog lights - HID projectors & LEDs...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, New custom fog lights - HID projectors & LEDs... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have been working on these for several weeks now. I finally got them to the point where I was ...
    Oh5V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V *SOLD*

New custom fog lights - HID projectors & LEDs...

I have been working on these for several weeks now. I finally got them to the point where I was able to mount them in the car. Ill start with some fabrication pictures. The earlier pics aren't the prettiest but they accomplish my goal.

I will get better pics throughout the week as I actually get them completely wired properly, and I wash the car. Its hard to get decent night time pics due to my poor quality camera.

I started out with stock CTS foglight housings and pulled the lenses. Once they were off, I removed the divider and cut out the entire back of the housing. I bought a 6000k DS2 HID bi-xenon retrofit kit complete with real projectors and chrome shrouds. I also bought a pair of LED "DRL" lights. They are white when powered up and when power is applied to an additional wire, they switch over to amber LEDs. To fab up the new housings, I used a sheet of aluminum to form the new main housing and used fiberglass resin to finish it off and shape it up. I wont get into the details but it was a lot of trial end error, and not that easy, but they are finally done.

The new fogs mount right into the stock brackets with the stock pushpin on the one side and i had to use a nut and bolt on the other side. The level adjustment can be made and the bolt tightened to hold it in place.

The wiring was a whole different bunch of issues. When done, they "DRL"s will function similar to those on an Audi. They will only come on with the parking lights. However, when off, they will only blink amber with the directionals. When on, like I said they will be white, but will switch to amber at night and blink just amber until the directionals are cancelled, then the white LEDs will turn back on.

I thought about making a few sets of these and selling them, but due to the time involved and the cost to begin with, there is no point. I wont be able to sell a single pair and make even a penny.

Now for the pics....

sx54dx, sx54dx, Ny's Caddy and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Look fantastic, good job! I admire the level of creativity & DIY involved, I may just try and make a set of these myself!

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: New custom fog lights - HID projectors & LEDs...

those look pretty good!

howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v
    that looks great! May i ask how you made the stock lense clear or did u just eliminate the whole oem front lense

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

That's a great idea, looks killer!

Quote Originally Posted by howanicm View Post
    that looks great! May i ask how you made the stock lense clear or did u just eliminate the whole oem front lense
    I completely removed the stock amber/clear lenses like many people on the board here do, and just make clear ones to replace them.
    I then made new lenses out of a sheet of polycarbonate. It is much harder than plain lexan and it can be bent in half (with enough force) and still wont crack. Very strong to prevent any damage from rocks or road debris.

I had made a set of stock style fogs with just the clear lenses about a year and a half ago. They were nicer than stock but I still wanted more. Im gonna test the new design fogs out for a few weeks and if they hold up with no issues, I will then sell my last set of "clear" fogs on ebay.

Here are some pics from before I installed the current foglights....

And here are some pics from today.
    I'm still waiting on a relay to be delivered so I can wire them up 100%. At that point I'll post a video of how the blink and such.

jcollege is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven CTS-V

Nice work man, looks good!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

That's pretty awesome, congrats on figuring all of that out and making it happen! The lighting and the look (even with the lights off) really fits the lines of the car nicely.

Looks like now you need to upgrade the low beam to the same color temperature as the fogs.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Bigtuna819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

looks real sharp, great job!

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Where'd you find those LED strips?

i got the LED strips off ebay. They are now like 26 bucks shipped if you look for the best deal.

The projectors I got from The Retrofit Source @ http://www.theretrofitsource.com

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The problem is that there are eight billion sets of LEDs available on eBay and there's little to no data regarding their output characteristics (especially color temperature). Did you strip the housing off those LED units, or was someone selling those things the way you used them?

I'm a EE and could build an awesome set of fog lamps using Luxeon LEDs and good, 4200K projection HIDs, but the parts cost would be over $200. I don't even want to mention the possibility of selling these things, because I'd have to charge over $400 to make it worth my while based on the amount of overhead (i.e. shipping and acquisition costs) and labor that would be involved.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Those a f'n awesome...they look like machine gun turrets!

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

oh5V vendor time lol?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

those look great

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.