Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Faber 
#1 ·
So just ordered a new face plate so that I can finally install all of the new buttons I ordered, but was curious if I should apply a protective coating to the buttons and/or the face plate to keep this from happening again, or at minimum prolonging the time it will start again.
I saw this debated previously in a few posts:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...l/97195-protecting-flaking-radio-buttons.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...609-just-thought-maybee-easy-fix-peeling.html

but was curious if there was a consensus on the best approach/product to use now that some of these options have likely been tested over time.

#2 ·
It's possible that GM/Cadillac fixed the issue themselves. I bought my car used in late '07 with buttons already flaking. It had ~23.5k miles when I bought it. I had the radio/nav unit replaced in 2008 not too long before my warranty was going to expire. In the 3 years since I haven't seen any sign of flaking on any of the buttons (knock on wood!).

With that said, I'm curious to see what others have to say. I don't know if my experience is typical of what people have seen once they've gotten a new unit installed. It might just be that I'm more cautious with the buttons than the previous owner(s) of the car were.

#3 ·
that sounds about right to me... we used to replace a lot of radios (CTS and others) due to buttons peeling but in the last few years there have been very few

you can purchase buttons only if that's all your after
you'll have to call Specmo's aftermarket sales company Motivicity (1-866-SPEED-16)

#5 ·
Def glad to hear that this issue might have been resolved. I already got my buttons from Luke @ Lindsay but good to know there's another source out there.

I think it has to do with whether you push the button with the pad of your finger, or straight on where your nail can hit it.
See, I have issues buying into this hypothesis. Given the radio placement and how you reach for it, i don't see the ability to have your nail hit it and cause the damage as being a regular occurrence. Plus, while my buttons were pealing when I bought the car, there was one or two ones that showed more pealing and it started as a bubble that then subsequently broke. To me that implies improper prep or more likely something (chemicals, oil, lotion, etc) penetrating the paint and causing it to lift from the plastic. If it was the nail you'd see damage point then pealing, not bubble then pealing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.