Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So just ordered a new face plate so that I can finally install all of the new buttons I ordered, ...
  1. #1
    Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    407

    Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    So just ordered a new face plate so that I can finally install all of the new buttons I ordered, but was curious if I should apply a protective coating to the buttons and/or the face plate to keep this from happening again, or at minimum prolonging the time it will start again.
    I saw this debated previously in a few posts:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...o-buttons.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-peeling.html

    but was curious if there was a consensus on the best approach/product to use now that some of these options have likely been tested over time.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    AAIIIC's Avatar
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Navy takes me...
    Posts
    3,613

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    It's possible that GM/Cadillac fixed the issue themselves. I bought my car used in late '07 with buttons already flaking. It had ~23.5k miles when I bought it. I had the radio/nav unit replaced in 2008 not too long before my warranty was going to expire. In the 3 years since I haven't seen any sign of flaking on any of the buttons (knock on wood!).

    With that said, I'm curious to see what others have to say. I don't know if my experience is typical of what people have seen once they've gotten a new unit installed. It might just be that I'm more cautious with the buttons than the previous owner(s) of the car were.

  4. #3
    RippyPartsDept's Avatar
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,963

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    that sounds about right to me... we used to replace a lot of radios (CTS and others) due to buttons peeling but in the last few years there have been very few

    you can purchase buttons only if that's all your after
    you'll have to call Specmo's aftermarket sales company Motivicity (1-866-SPEED-16)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

  5. #4
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    In the 3 years since I haven't seen any sign of flaking on any of the buttons (knock on wood!).
    I think it has to do with whether you push the button with the pad of your finger, or straight on where your nail can hit it.

  6. #5
    Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    407

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    that sounds about right to me... we used to replace a lot of radios (CTS and others) due to buttons peeling but in the last few years there have been very few

    you can purchase buttons only if that's all your after
    you'll have to call Specmo's aftermarket sales company Motivicity (1-866-SPEED-16)
    Def glad to hear that this issue might have been resolved. I already got my buttons from Luke @ Lindsay but good to know there's another source out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I think it has to do with whether you push the button with the pad of your finger, or straight on where your nail can hit it.
    See, I have issues buying into this hypothesis. Given the radio placement and how you reach for it, i don't see the ability to have your nail hit it and cause the damage as being a regular occurrence. Plus, while my buttons were pealing when I bought the car, there was one or two ones that showed more pealing and it started as a bubble that then subsequently broke. To me that implies improper prep or more likely something (chemicals, oil, lotion, etc) penetrating the paint and causing it to lift from the plastic. If it was the nail you'd see damage point then pealing, not bubble then pealing.

  7. #6
    RippyPartsDept's Avatar
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,963

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    that's where Lindsay was getting their buttons ... I could sell them to you too, but they're such a cheap item that it's not really worth it for me to buy and stock them in the off chance that people would want them so I just direct you directly to the source.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

  8. #7
    Aurora40's Avatar
    Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    See, I have issues buying into this hypothesis. Given the radio placement and how you reach for it, i don't see the ability to have your nail hit it and cause the damage as being a regular occurrence. Plus, while my buttons were pealing when I bought the car, there was one or two ones that showed more pealing and it started as a bubble that then subsequently broke. To me that implies improper prep or more likely something (chemicals, oil, lotion, etc) penetrating the paint and causing it to lift from the plastic. If it was the nail you'd see damage point then pealing, not bubble then pealing.
    I drove our Aurora daily for 9 years, no chips/wear/etc on the buttons. Within two months of my wife driving it (when I got the V), the radio buttons were badly chipped. Same radio, same placement, etc. We don't push them the same, though.

  9. #8
    CadzillaTN's Avatar
    CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Def glad to hear that this issue might have been resolved. I already got my buttons from Luke @ Lindsay but good to know there's another source out there.


    See, I have issues buying into this hypothesis. Given the radio placement and how you reach for it, i don't see the ability to have your nail hit it and cause the damage as being a regular occurrence. Plus, while my buttons were pealing when I bought the car, there was one or two ones that showed more pealing and it started as a bubble that then subsequently broke. To me that implies improper prep or more likely something (chemicals, oil, lotion, etc) penetrating the paint and causing it to lift from the plastic. If it was the nail you'd see damage point then pealing, not bubble then pealing.
    Agreed. Nails don't help of course, but a few of mine that I never touch are bubbling up.

  10. #9
    Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    407

    Re: Replacing Radio/GPS Buttons - Protective Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I drove our Aurora daily for 9 years, no chips/wear/etc on the buttons. Within two months of my wife driving it (when I got the V), the radio buttons were badly chipped. Same radio, same placement, etc. We don't push them the same, though.
    Could be that she uses more lotion than you, unless that is the same just kidding. Without someone doing some overall testing this'll be another one of those long debates that will waste more time than actually replacing the buttons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting