Powder coat clear coat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Powder coat clear coat in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys I just had my stock wheels powder coated in a flat black. Heres a picture. What you guys ...
    Danwoods is offline Banned

Powder coat clear coat

Hey guys

I just had my stock wheels powder coated in a flat black. Heres a picture. What you guys think?

IMG_0522.JPG

My question is can I clearcoat over the powder coat and still be flat black? I would like to add
    some vinyl lettering and clear over the vinyl to make sure it stays but I don't want to make the
    flat black glossy.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RVO27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Powder coat clear coat

They do have flat clearcoat but it will add a little bit of shine. I also havn't seen it in a rattle can application.

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I honestly would not bother. If you properly prep the surface before applying the vinyl it should adhere well and look good for years, provided you don't abuse your wheels and wash them carefully. Just think of those applied vinyl racing stripes that they put on a lot of the newer "retro" cars now (Challenger comes to mind). There's no extra clear over the tops of those and they hold up fine.

The better option, if you ask me, would be to buy extras or have numerous duplicates available of whatever graphic you wish to put on there, and if/when one gets dinged up and starts to peel, you just replace it. It takes a LOT of clear to fully bury a decal to the point that it looks good.

RVO27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    I honestly would not bother. If you properly prep the surface before applying the vinyl it should adhere well and look good for years, provided you don't abuse your wheels and wash them carefully. The better option, if you ask me, would be to buy extras or have numerous duplicates available of whatever graphic you wish to put on there, and if/when one gets dinged up and starts to peel, you just replace it. It takes a LOT of clear to fully bury a decal to the point that it looks good.

Very good points. I agree.

Ny's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cts-V

Looks good as is. Where did you get them powder coated & how much? i ask cause i know your in my area and im getting ready to do mine

Quote Originally Posted by Ny's Caddy
    Looks good as is. Where did you get them powder coated & how much? i ask cause i know your in my area and im getting ready to do mine
    My next door neighbor owns a powder coat business. They are still moving in and i only met him a couple times. Hell, i dont even remember his name. He said to load them in his truck and next eve they were on my front porch done. I still havnt seen him and we never discussed price. Next time i see him i will find out.

----------

Thanks for the info guys. Think i will pass on the clear as you suggest.

----------

Btw... The IPhone app for this site is killer!!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Don't touch them, they look good.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

They look great. Welcome to the flat black wheels club. lol

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Do you guys with black rims hand paint the weights when these are balanced? I imagine you have to tell them to take extra care not to chip them removing the old weights..

Tape weights on the inside edge i imagine

Ny's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cts-V

very nice if I was you i would start dissasembeling pieces and they would magicaly apear in your neighbors truck..lmao please let me know the info or email me please barajazm@gmail.com I have a few shops lined up but i am waiting for there down time so i could make shure i get them back in a day.having a other shop lined up would be nice.. We wanna see pics of the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Danwoods View Post
    My next door neighbor owns a powder coat business. They are still moving in and i only met him a couple times. Hell, i dont even remember his name. He said to load them in his truck and next eve they were on my front porch done. I still havnt seen him and we never discussed price. Next time i see him i will find out.

----------

Thanks for the info guys. Think i will pass on the clear as you suggest.

----------

Btw... The IPhone app for this site is killer!!

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Do you guys with black rims hand paint the weights when these are balanced? I imagine you have to tell them to take extra care not to chip them removing the old weights..
    That's what I do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.