My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yeah. I guess I'd just try to rinse it down as often as possible with warm/hot water....
    EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek

Yeah. I guess I'd just try to rinse it down as often as possible with warm/hot water.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Wow, I didn't get any notifications so I missed a whole bunch of posts! Thanks for all the compliments.
    One problem I'm left with is winter washing. I bought a rinseless wash, but it's still going to freeze when I wash in my garage. What do you guys do to keep her clean in the winter? I hear that the detergents used in most commercial washes (touch free) are too harsh...
    I used to use a hot bucket of water and just rinse with my hose. That is before I did the ultimate winter wash mod.....move south!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

brace yourself.

Attached Images

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    Yeah. I guess I'd just try to rinse it down as often as possible with warm/hot water.
    I bought some rinse-less wash when I got my other stuff, so I'll use that with warm water. No hose necessary. Problem will be that even hot/warm water, it will quickly freeze when it's really cold here, making drying a challenge. I suppose in that case I'll just do the coin-op touchless wash.

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    brace yourself

Wow... That hurts my heart. lol

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Cadzilla....where did you park for all that dust....next to a construction site?!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Haha, nah...Just under my carport... For 5 months .

I drove it for 2 days, now it's back in the air getting suspension bits put on.. I like the stock feel but just can't live with the stinkbug stance.

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Figured i'd post up my results after last weekend's marathon.... total time was about 10 hrs actual effort from wash to sealant removal.... i also swept out the inside and wiped everything down but that was only 30 min or so.... Steps included the following:
    Day 1:
    - Wash entire car and dry with GG microfiber towel
    - Clay with Mothers cali clay kit and quik detailer using Poorboys DMT MF towels
    - Wash MF towels and get some sleep
    Day 2:
    - Orange Pad with Wolfgang TSR on speed 6 (porter cable 7472xp) going very slow... i found i needed 6 and slow arm speed to really remove the swirls. This was really a matter of just how perfect you wanted it, cause on troublesome areas, i'd just make another pass and it would continue to get better and better each time, but i wasn't looking for 100% perfection.... only 95% this was easily the most time consuming process but certainly eye opening as the results were astounding (see 50/50 and additional shots below)... ended up making 2-3 passes on top facing surfaces and 1-2 on doors and other side facing surfaces
    - White Pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on speed 5 - 5.5 again going pretty slow
    - My hands were spent after this so i called it a night
    Day 3:
    - Dusted everything off and made sure i was happy with all panels
    - Red Pad with Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on speed 4.5... this stuff is awesome, goes on super easy as i did the entire car in 20 minutes and then let it sit for an hour
    - After taking off the DGPS i was amazed as the depth and wetness actually improved slightly... i didn't expect it to get any better but so far this stuff seems pretty awesome
    - Swept out interior and trunk and wiped everything down and i was done....

All in all a fool proof process that just takes time but the results you get are nothing short of astounding... it seriously looks like i got a brand new paint job on my entire car... my bro, dad, and I were super impressed as we've hand clayed/polished/waxed cars before plenty of times but never got results like this... see photos below and let me know if you have questions

Nate

Hood after Clay:

Trunk after Clay:

50/50 of the trunk after only one pass with the TSR:

Trunk after 2 passes of TSR on the entire lid:

I went around the rest of the car with the TSR and orange pad, being sure to clean the pad on the fly after every 1-2 panels... then i went around with the finishing glaze per notes above.... the results below are before applying sealant but after all polishing was complete:

Hood after all polishing:

Drivers side after all polishing:

Hood photo outside in direct sun.... so sweet

And one last hood photo pulled inside before sealant...

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Figured i'd post up my results after last weekend's marathon.... total time was about 10 hrs actual effort from wash to sealant removal.... i also swept out the inside and wiped everything down but that was only 30 min or so.... Steps included the following:
    Day 1:
    - Wash entire car and dry with GG microfiber towel
    - Clay with Mothers cali clay kit and quik detailer using Poorboys DMT MF towels
    - Wash MF towels and get some sleep
    Day 2:
    - Orange Pad with Wolfgang TSR on speed 6 (porter cable 7472xp) going very slow... i found i needed 6 and slow arm speed to really remove the swirls. This was really a matter of just how perfect you wanted it, cause on troublesome areas, i'd just make another pass and it would continue to get better and better each time, but i wasn't looking for 100% perfection.... only 95% this was easily the most time consuming process but certainly eye opening as the results were astounding (see 50/50 and additional shots below)... ended up making 2-3 passes on top facing surfaces and 1-2 on doors and other side facing surfaces
    - White Pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on speed 5 - 5.5 again going pretty slow
    - My hands were spent after this so i called it a night
    Day 3:
    - Dusted everything off and made sure i was happy with all panels
    - Red Pad with Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on speed 4.5... this stuff is awesome, goes on super easy as i did the entire car in 20 minutes and then let it sit for an hour
    - After taking off the DGPS i was amazed as the depth and wetness actually improved slightly... i didn't expect it to get any better but so far this stuff seems pretty awesome
    - Swept out interior and trunk and wiped everything down and i was done....

All in all a fool proof process that just takes time but the results you get are nothing short of astounding... it seriously looks like i got a brand new paint job on my entire car... my bro, dad, and I were super impressed as we've hand clayed/polished/waxed cars before plenty of times but never got results like this... see photos below and let me know if you have questions

Nate
    Looks great man!

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Looks good.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Fist to the OP, wow. Looks like miracles were performed in the garage.

Watch out washing your car in winter, hence freezing as stated above. I herd that water will find it's way in places and freeze/thaw occurs which can cause metal to rattle over time. It's something I've done and can say has worked. Try to wash your car when the day is warmer (above 32) if possible. Best is in the morning on a day you'll be driving around to help it dry off.

I give my car a wash/clay/polish/wax in the fall and after the winter. Always with GG stuff. Now that I can take my time and do it slowly I want to try their idea of applying three coats of wax over three days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.