My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by EdmundGTP The best microfiber towels I've used so far are the Deluxe Mega Towel (DMT) from Poorboys. ...
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: My first DIY paint correction / detail thanks to auto geek

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    The best microfiber towels I've used so far are the Deluxe Mega Towel (DMT) from Poorboys. http://poorboysworld.com/microfiber.htm They have an extra plush side and a thicker short weave side, so they multi-purpose very well.
    Very reasonably priced as well. $50 for a dozen of them.

EDIT: Also be sure to wash new MF towels at least once before using them. Do not use regular clothes detergent though, just something with no bleach and no dyes, or fragrances. And do not use a dryer sheet when you dry them out. There are several detergents specifically for MF available on Ageek. MF's get softer the more you wash them.

Another good practice is to visually inspect each MF towel before you go rubbing down your car with it. MF towels have a tendency to pick up small debris (i.e. very small wood splinters or twigs, small crumbs, hairs, fibers from other less gentle fabrics) and the last thing you wanna do is be dragging these other things along your freshly polished paint. Take a minute to look over each side of the towel before use and pick off anything that ISNT microfiber. I even go as far as to pick off bits of lint from OTHER MF towels. If a towel starts to fray, its fibers can "cross contaminate" other MF towels and get knotted up in the weave. Even though it IS microfiber, when it's knotted up at all it can mar clearcoat.
    Sounds anal retentive but absolutely true! Just wash your MF towels by themselves because they pick up from other fabrics so terribly.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    This thread is inspiring... My car is covered in 5 months of dust and has cat paw tracks all over it. Even a few streaks with light scratch marks where the little bastards slid off before the dust gave them some grip...

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    This thread is inspiring... My car is covered in 5 months of dust and has cat paw tracks all over it. Even a few streaks with light scratch marks where the little bastards slid off before the dust gave them some grip...
    AHHH, I don't mind cats, but if they walked on my car they would be gone.

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Literally just cringed at the thought of a cat sliding across the hood of my car with a day's worth of ambient dust on it... I can't even..

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

here kittie kittie kittie......WHAM!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    They live next door or trust me I'd consider wacking them...but it's not really their fault. I've learned alot as I age, mostly the hard way.. and one if those things is, "it's just a car".

If I don't like it, I can work harder and get a promotion, or a better job, then a better house...with a garage..(and a V2.)

They live next door or trust me I'd consider wacking them...but it's not really their fault. I've learned alot as I age, mostly the hard way.. and one if those things is, "it's just a car".
    Evidently I am not old enough then. "Mommy where did snowflake go"? "I don't know honey, last I saw her she was on the neighbors property".

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

So here's what i ended up ordering:
    - Porter Cable 7424XP with 5" backing plate
    - Wolfgang Duo (16oz Total Swirl Remover 3.0 and 16oz Finishing Glaze)
    - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paing Sealant 3.0
    - LC CSS 5.5" pads - 3 orange, 2 white, 2 gray, 1 red
    - Mothers California Clay Kit
    - 6 pack of Poorboys microfiber Deluxe Mega Towels
    - and some microfiber detergent for the washing machine

I'm planning to knock out my first paint correction over thanksgiving weekend when i'll be at my parents place with not much else to do. I'll post up my results when i'm done thanks for the insight and motivation !

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    I'm planning to knock out my first paint correction over thanksgiving weekend when i'll be at my parents place with not much else to do. I'll post up my results when i'm done thanks for the insight and motivation !
    Good luck! I always do it on a four day weekend so that I can take my time and do it right.

If you've never ran one before, be prepared for your hands and wrists to feel like jello after running that polisher for 4-6 hours.

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    If you've never ran one before, be prepared for your hands and wrists to feel like jello after running that polisher for 4-6 hours.
    Haha, yea i'm hoping plenty of yuengling will ease the pain and thankfully i'm not going to be in any rush so i may break up the entire process over a few days. Quick question for you, i got the poor boys DMT's as you suggested and noticed the differences on each side of the towels... with that said, do you use the shorter side to initially remove polish/glaze after applying it with the polisher and then go to the longer side for final wipe or do you just use the long side so as not to micro mar the paint with the towel?

The short nap side will be better for removing polishes, waxes and sealants, and the longer nap side I find more useful for quick detailing stuff and quick dust-off's. You can technically use either side for whatever it works best at. Neither side is more or less prone than the other to mar the paint, so you should be fine either way. The main thing to avoid paint damage is to make sure your MF towels are free of debris or other foreign specs, fibers or threads, and don't OVER use one towel. After a while you'll notice that the towels have a clean "lifespan" and that basically they'll stop removing polish, or wax, effectively once they reach a point of "dirtyness". During a paint correction, I'd allocate 1 towel, per body panel, per correction step, at the minimum. I usually plan to have 30 or so clean towels on hand for any sort of correction work.

Based on the stuff you bought.

Clay bar step - You could probably get this done with 2 or 3 towels
    Swirl Remover - One towel per body panel
    Finishing Glaze - One Towel per body panel
    Paint sealant - Probably can do this with 2 or 3 towels as well, but pay attention to when the towels stop "picking up" what you're rubbing off effectively.

Honestly, you can NEVER have too many clean MF towels on hand. It's literally impossible..

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Wow, I didn't get any notifications so I missed a whole bunch of posts! Thanks for all the compliments.
    One problem I'm left with is winter washing. I bought a rinseless wash, but it's still going to freeze when I wash in my garage. What do you guys do to keep her clean in the winter? I hear that the detergents used in most commercial washes (touch free) are too harsh...

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Wow, I didn't get any notifications so I missed a whole bunch of posts! Thanks for all the compliments.
    One problem I'm left with is winter washing. I bought a rinseless wash, but it's still going to freeze when I wash in my garage. What do you guys do to keep her clean in the winter? I hear that the detergents used in most commercial washes (touch free) are too harsh...
    Don't drive it in winter? Seriously, I don't know. Personally I'd never bother doing a clearcoat correction on a car that I had to drive during the winter. The first snow/ice attack and subsequent brush off will ruin most of whatever work you put into getting a swirl free finish. If I had to wash in the winter I'd run a hose to one of the faucets in my house and use hot water to do it.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Well geeze... Might as well just leave it in a farmer's field to rot away then, eh? Just kidding. But just 'cause it's winter driven doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a nice glassy paint finish. I'm sure winter's a little rougher on it than sitting in a garage, but improper washing will add imperfections a lot faster than some snow. And whatever the winter does will be easily corrected in the spring since it's in great condition now. Hopefully a one step polish (and then wax) will bring things into tip top shape in the spring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.