Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work ! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well I was concerned that my headlights were too far gone for a referb' kit to work..... I suppose I ...
    Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work !

Well I was concerned that my headlights were too far gone for a referb' kit to work..... I suppose I was right.

Before, after a good scrub / Then after doing the process twice:
    Attachment 78660

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work !

Only saw one pic on your post, but I'm not surprised that it didn't seem to work.

I'm betting the only way to see real results is to use a buffer with the appropriate grit polishes and about an hour later you'll see decent results.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

catch2otwo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS_V

I used the meguires kit on my old 98 audi and it seemed to work good. The kit I bought didnt come with sand paper though, so I had to buy 4-5 different grits. Could you give us a break down of what the turtle wax kit comes with, then we can see if theres something that needs to be supplemented to get it to work

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i used the turtle wax kit on mine and it worked for me. try using an orbital buffer, you didn't compound the lenses enough. you have to remove the OEM UV coating.. thats what makes them look so shitty after a few years..

I used 800grit 1000 grit then an orbital buffer + compound to polish it out

The kit comes with a Clarifying compound and a lubricating spray. Also comes with a set of 4 sandpaper pads. There numbered 1,2,3,4. It explanes to use the #1 until you see that the oxydation is removed in a back and forth direction, then switch to #2 and go the opposite direction for 1 min. hen #3 for 1 min, then #4...etc. After all that you rub in the compound, let dry to a haze and then buff.

I did all this by hand, the first round I used the #1 for at least 15min... No result. The 2nd time I sanded for as long as my little hands could stand it!

I think the initial sanding is the trouble. Do I use a rougher grit at first to get that first layer off? Seemed like the #1 they include wasn't tough enough for my far gone lenses...

what is the grit rating on the sand papers provided?

and just a note, wrap the sand paper around a small sponge so that you dont rub grooves into the plastic. Let the sponge conform to the lens.

I'm really not sure what the grit rating is on those. Doesn't say on the packaging. Also the sandpaper is already attached to some sponge like pads.

Looking at the picture does anyone else think that they might just be too far gone to referb?

Trying to talk myself out of spending $300+ on new assemblies.

Thanks

OneFast V is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I recommend using the 3m headlight renewal kit. it works much better in my opinion, mainly because you attach the sandpaper to a drill which really makes the first sanding easier. i also believe it starts with a rougher grit than then turtle wax kit (which didn't work well for me either)
    Sullyfx and Sullyfx like this.

had a local friend tell me the same thing. Thats next on the to do list.... Thanks "Onefast V", and everyone else for the input.

make sure you spend a good amount of time with each grit (especially the roughest one). Remember the roughest grit is used to remove the "bad" layer on the lens the rest are really used to polish and clear it up from there.

I'm going to try the 3M kit this weekend and I will update after that. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I recommend using the 3m headlight renewal kit. it works much better in my opinion, mainly because you attach the sandpaper to a drill which really makes the first sanding easier. i also believe it starts with a rougher grit than then turtle wax kit (which didn't work well for me either)
    I remember reading that you should only sand in a back and forth motion and never a circular motion. I cant remember where I read it but id take caution before using sand paper on the end of the drill....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA
    How-to from 3M. I've used this kit and sanded the crap out of the lens to try and remove some pits caused by rocks. As long as you don't hold it in one place or push hard on it, it is perfectly fine.

Pancho213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts 3.2L
    Why don't you just wet sand the headlight then use the turtle wax polish. It's much easier plus there is always great results. All you is sandpaper grit 1000, 1500, 2000 some car wash soap with water a sponge and a spray bottle.

Do they make sand paper that works with a drill.... I think it will go a lot better using a drill. Thats why I like the 3M kit. It comes with the bits for a drill....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.