Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work ! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work ! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; By hand is best if you are untrained there is chances you will damage the plastic use a power tool....
    Pancho213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts 3.2L
    By hand is best if you are untrained there is chances you will damage the plastic use a power tool.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Turtle Wax Headlight Referb Kit Doesn't Work !

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho213 View Post
    By hand is best if you are untrained there is chances you will damage the plastic use a power tool.
    The chances of damaging it are very low if you follow the instruction in the link i provided. These grit aren't removing huge amounts of material (w/respect to the thickness of the lens casing), if you just take your time sanding and aren't in a rush or overly aggressive, it is VERY easy.

Pancho213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts 3.2L
    Very true, well you can't learn something until you try it your self.

DRod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS

I had the same issues. None of the kits work on our headlights without sanding. I went through the process with the Meguiars kit, which doesn't work out of the box at all. You need to use various levels of sandpaper (I went from 400 to 1200 grit...3M wet sand paper) and the wool buffing pad that comes with the Meguiars kit. The kit does include sand paper, but normally the oxidation calls for more extensive sanding.

I got it to the point where I got most of the oxidation off and pitting down, but I could quite get the shine of a new set of headlights. So I called a restoration guy on the referral from one of my friends. Once he got to it, he didn't have to sand very much (he had to sand some of the edges that I apparently missed). He polished the lights with a more aggressive wool buffer (like this one), and the finished product is amazing. He said the pad I used wasn't aggressive enough for the amount of crud on CTS headlamps in particular. Polish was similar to PlastX, and he just smeared it on the headlight generously with his hand before putting the buffer on it.

I posted about this awhile back. You can see my process toward the bottom of this post (page 5): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-doing-5.html

And the finished product here (again, scroll to the bottom):
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ights-hid.html

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I use 3m plastic cleaner (39017) and polish (39010).

Not sure of the cost but it was about 8 bucks each when I got mine. The bottles are small but have lasted me for many years. I had to mail order them..

+1 on the back and forth motion. For the products above I just put a nickel size amount of each on a cloth and wipe hard. Repeat with the cleaner until clear, then polish once or twice. For all but fubar'ed lights it works great.

I'm doing my wife's Maxima lights this weekend, i'll post a pic or 2 if I remember.

dr.duct_mossburg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-V

Stop wasting money on all of these kits. You could get the real products for the same price. Ill do a write up sometime in the next week when I have time.

400 grit is too rough. 400 to 1200 is also too much of a jump.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-pictures.html

My basic write up. I will do a real DIY thread with all of the products that I used, procedure, etc. in the next few days. In the meantime, put the 400 grit down and step away from the vehicle.

Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

Sat I am going to try and use the compound that came with the Turtle kit I already have. I will end with the 1200, but I will have to go pretty rough to begin with since my lenses are far worse than "dr.duct_mossburg's". The kit came with a polish compound and a finish glaze.... I'm heading to Home Depot to get sanding pads for my drill.

awdtalon92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    It depends on the lights. The Turtle wax kit did wonders on my WRX, and almost nothing on my CTS-V, even though I spent more time on them. I'm going to try the 3M next. I think I just need to sand off an entire layer of plastic before the lights will start getting clear...

DRod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS

Quote Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg View Post
    400 grit is too rough. 400 to 1200 is also too much of a jump.
    400 to 1200 means 400 > 600 > 800 > 1000 > 1200. If you look at my lights now, you'll see it worked out pretty good. I read your DIY post. What you did obviously worked really well. But I can tell you for sure that mine were much much worse. Most of the guys on these headlight threads have really bad oxidation as well. For those of you, there's definitely hope!

It's important to alternate directions with each level of paper and keep the light super wet.

Quote Originally Posted by awdtalon92 View Post
    It depends on the lights. The Turtle wax kit did wonders on my WRX, and almost nothing on my CTS-V, even though I spent more time on them. I'm going to try the 3M next. I think I just need to sand off an entire layer of plastic before the lights will start getting clear...
    Agree with that...definitely depends on the lights. For instance, the Nissan/Infiniti lights work well with just the kit and little sanding. Ours...not so much.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

yeah i used the 3M kit and it worked great for me.

Did my wife's 2005 Mazda 3 this weekend. Based on the attached pic, obviously the 3M kit works. In the pic is the spray bottle from the Turtle wax kit that didn't work very well. Will do the V this weekend.
    Attached Images

Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

Project complete. 3M kit is the best.
    Before
    Attachment 78929
    During
    Attachment 78930
    Attachment 78931
    After!!!!
    Attachment 78932

Also added clear corners, and LED's

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

You beat me to it! Had to do the wife's car because she had the weekend off.
    Looks great, hopefully my results are just as good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.