Taillights + headlights + badges = VHT - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Taillights + headlights + badges = VHT in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Whether it's legal or not to tint lights, I guarantee they will become your legal achilles heel in an accident. ...
    soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Taillights + headlights + badges = VHT

Whether it's legal or not to tint lights, I guarantee they will become your legal achilles heel in an accident. Anyone with brain cells to rub together is going to say "I couldn't see ........... because his lights are all tinted black". You can rationalize all you want, but when reality strikes, you'll lose.

djgershom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2005

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    Whether it's legal or not to tint lights, I guarantee they will become your legal achilles heel in an accident. Anyone with brain cells to rub together is going to say "I couldn't see ........... because his lights are all tinted black". You can rationalize all you want, but when reality strikes, you'll lose.
    Unfortunately your wrong (in Texas anyway) the law states that no matter what, if you get rear ended its the person who hit you that is at fault.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Getting the grills powder coated makes a world of difference. Personally I think VHT is great stuff, it's cheap (all you need is one $11 can for everything), looks good, you can vary the darkness to your liking and if you get a ticket just grab a towel with a little Acetone and it comes right off in 2 seconds (FYIo not under any circumstances use paint remover chemicals to take the stuff off your lights, it literally melts the plastic! Went through a pair of taillights with this mistake).

I had my wheels and both grills powder coated black. They look great and only cost me $220 to do everything at once. I then painted the silver trim around the grills black and cleared them.

I blacked out my fogs, tail lights, reverse lights and 3rd brake light with VHT. Personally I think just doing a light smoke of the taillights looks a lot better than complete blackout, I tried both and the lack of contrast just looks ghetto when they are completely black. This week I am in the process of painting my front grill emblem (I've got an Escalade Emblem on my grill, a lot bigger and looks better), I blacked out the center emblems with carbon fiber vinyl and I'm painting the ugly gray surrounds on the headlights with black car paint. I tried VHT on the emblems and headlight surrounds but I've found that a little prep sanding, adhesion promoter, primer, black base and clear coat not only looks 10 times better but also adheres 20 times better.

Good job on experimenting, that's the only way I found out what I like and sure I took a few steps forward and a few back but my end result is turning out perfect in my eyes.

Heres a pic of my car before this week’s project of the emblems and headlight surrounds, I'll post the final results this weekend so you can see if it's something you may want to do for your car.

Attachment 79100

One more note, if you live in Washington don't put a smoked tail light cover over your licence plate, I got nailed 2 weeks ago for tinting vilolations, the ticket grand total was $1,200 of which $250 was just for the stupid licence plate cover.

V Beast is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A lot of guys are using Plasti-Kote for grills and emblems lately. If the VHT doesn't hold up, might want to try that.

PrelateBishop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post

I blacked out my fogs, tail lights, reverse lights and 3rd brake light with VHT. Personally I think just doing a light smoke of the taillights looks a lot better than complete blackout, I tried both and the lack of contrast just looks ghetto when they are completely black. I tried VHT on the emblems and headlight surrounds but I've found that a little prep sanding, adhesion promoter, primer, black base and clear coat not only looks 10 times better but also adheres 20 times better.
    I too think smoked looks WAY better than completely blacked-out. Care to elaborate on how you achieved your results? I think your tail lights look perfect.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by djgershom View Post
    Unfortunately your wrong (in Texas anyway) the law states that no matter what, if you get rear ended its the person who hit you that is at fault.
    What law is that?

I assume you're young and have never been sued/ or sued anyone in relation to a traffic incident. I assure you the right lawyer could convince a jury of anything.

Btw, I concur with scatillac. Clean that stuff off your headlights, windshield, and emblems...will look much better...

Quote Originally Posted by PrelateBishop View Post
    I too think smoked looks WAY better than completely blacked-out. Care to elaborate on how you achieved your results? I think your tail lights look perfect.
    Using the VHT I just sprayed really light coats with 10 min in between each coat until I got to the darkness I was happy with. The great thing about VHT is it takes very little to get a good smoked look and if you screw it up just wipe off with acetone soaked rag and start over!

On a side note I would have to agree with the above aforementioned post that civil court (which is where the insurance company of the other driver in any accident would sue you) is a whole different ball game than criminal court. Even if the person who hit you was found to be at fault in the eyes of the criminal (traffic) court, that would not stop an insurance company from winning a settlement by jury in civil court.

Personally none of this bothers me as I know my insurance company has just as good of litigators as the other party and I have my own attorney to poke holes in such matters. Hence why my $1,200 tinting ticket was swiftly dropped on a count of a technicality.

Do what you want to your car is my motto, it's your car and if you like it who gives a sh.. what other guys think about it.
    djgershom and djgershom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    What law is that?

I assume you're young and have never been sued/ or sued anyone in relation to a traffic incident. I assure you the right lawyer could convince a jury of anything.

Btw, I concur with scatillac. Clean that stuff off your headlights, windshield, and emblems...will look much better...
    Your comment has been noted, car is still in the process of transformation.

Your right i am to young to get sued/ sue anyone, not just because i havnt had the chance but I usually settle the problem before legality needs to be brought in. until that day comes where i do have to walk into court, i'll be ready because i have read up on my laws.

^^^car looks sweet etcts-v! I was planning on doing up my car the same way except leaving the chrome trim around the grills. Also I wanted to powder coating the "spokes" black leaving the rim of the wheel a shiny silver. Not sure about it yet, may just do the whole wheel black. Do you have any side shots of your car you can spare?

Quote Originally Posted by djgershom View Post
    Do you have any side shots of your car you can spare?
    Thanks for the compliment!! Yeah I will get some more shots this weekend when I finish the emblems and headlights, I also painted my calipers black with white Brembo inserts a few weeks ago which adds a lot to the car. The silver just wasn't cutting it, I put 4 coats of engine enamel clear on them so the paint is durable as a rock!

If you get your wheels powdercoated, pick up a set off the black center caps off e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-C...item27a89b2b6a

In the meantime here are two shots:

Attachment 79167

Attachment 79168

Here is a few shots of the calipers:

Attachment 79169

Attachment 79170

Attachment 79171

I'm trying to post up some more pictures of my redone taillights and my g-meter but aparently i've reached my pic quota? Calling to a mod/admin here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.