Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am now trying to decide if I want to pull the plastidip off the outside chrome lip and leave ...
    xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up

I am now trying to decide if I want to pull the plastidip off the outside chrome lip and leave the rest black like odthetruth except blacked out emblem too... HMMM

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

/\ what color v? I did the grill and got tired of the chrome trim and redid the whole thing and the bumper... very happy with the look

Raven

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

stock color wheels... leave the the grill surround chrome. nice contrast imo..

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Have any of you thought about using plasti dip to protect paint on long drives/track days? (I'm thinking front end and behind rear wheels.) I know some people do painters tape so they don't get rock chips, but this seems like it might be even easier/better? Thoughts?

Driftwood420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 V stock, silver on black
    Quote Originally Posted by Andringa
    Have any of you thought about using plasti dip to protect paint on long drives/track days? (I'm thinking front end and behind rear wheels.) I know some people do painters tape so they don't get rock chips, but this seems like it might be even easier/better? Thoughts?
    My son (10) actually suggested this to me after seeing a C6 driver painter tape half his car before a Solo race. I will probably give its try along with some good humored racing stripes, lightning bolts and a big ass "Jake" on the hood. Wheels are next, maybe this weekend.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Wow, that is a really good idea. I have never though of that. This stuff doesnt chip whatsoever so I think it would work

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

There are water-soluble products that would likely be better than Plasti-Dip for temporary use like a track-day. Better in that they would be much easier to remove, overspray is not a concern, etc. How would you plastidip your front bumper without it getting overspray in the grill, on the lights, etc? And how big a pain would it be to remove?

I used this at the last V-day: http://www.prowax.com/specialty_prod...Bug_Guard.html You can keep spraying it on after it dries to get it thicker and thicker.

Duplicolor makes this: http://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor...oducts/shield/

The biggest plus is my car didn't look ridiculous for pictures, since it is fairly clear (it looks cloudy up close though):

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    stock color wheels... leave the the grill surround chrome. nice contrast imo..
    I was thinking about doing that I may just peel it off on the outside of the emblem first so all of the emblem will be chrome except the colored logo in the middle and then I will leave the rest of the front black I will post up pics... I am also ordering the glossifier to test

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    There are water-soluble products that would likely be better than Plasti-Dip for temporary use like a track-day. Better in that they would be much easier to remove, overspray is not a concern, etc. How would you plastidip your front bumper without it getting overspray in the grill, on the lights, etc? And how big a pain would it be to remove?

I used this at the last V-day: http://www.prowax.com/specialty_prod...Bug_Guard.html You can keep spraying it on after it dries to get it thicker and thicker.

Duplicolor makes this: http://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor...oducts/shield/

The biggest plus is my car didn't look ridiculous for pictures, since it is fairly clear (it looks cloudy up close though):
    That Duplicolor product looks interesting. But it looks like it would require about as much prep as Plastidip. Definitely looks like it would be easy to remove though.

Dipped the wheels this weekend. Could not wait any longer. Pics to come. Oh yeah installed the Hotchkis front sway as we'll. Solo racing here I come.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The front sway? What did you do for the rear? AAIIIC had Andy Pilgrim drive his V and I think the consensus was it plowed a little too much. I wonder if Pat ever removed his Hotchkis front sway...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    The front sway? What did you do for the rear? AAIIIC had Andy Pilgrim drive his V and I think the consensus was it plowed a little too much. I wonder if Pat ever removed his Hotchkis front sway...
    Jim I only changed the front bar, SCCA stock class will not allow for a rear bar. The car fells great my little test track of clover leafs on I-20 here in Atlanta yielded some nice G readings on my beat up AS tires. I am going Bridgestone RE-11 staggered next weekend so I hope the bar helps out. Car is stock other than the Hotchkins and the scandalous cross drilled rotors. My wife is getting my DHM low profiles for V-day so I can put a card in the spokes when I need it to sound faster than it is. I love this car!

Back on topic. Here are the pictures I hope. Having some sizing problems on the iPad.

Side marker, fogs, badges and reverse lights have been tinted with Oracle 8300 dark smoke. Glass is 3m carbon tint or something legal tint level for Ga 20 or 30 whichever is lighter. Grill and wheels are dipped. By the way it was near freezing when I did the dipping. No issues at all.

Damn it, size issues on the pictures again. Let me see if I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood420

Jim I only changed the front bar, SCCA stock class will not allow for a rear bar. The car fells great my little test track of clover leafs on I-20 here in Atlanta yielded so nice G readings on my beat up AS tires. I am going Bridgestone RE-11 staggered nex week end so I hope the bar helps out. Car is stock Luther than the Hotchkins and the scandalous cross drilled rotors. My wife is getting my DHM low profiles for V-day so I can put s card in the spokes when I need it to sound faster than it is. I love this car!

Back on topic. Here are the pictures I hope. Having some sizing problems on the iPad.

Side marker, fogs, badges and reverse lights have been timed with Oracle 8300 dark smoke. Grill and wheels are dipped. By the way it was near freezing when I did the dipping. No issues at all.

Damn it, size issues on the pictures again. Let me see if I can fix it.
    There is a free app for that it turns out...
    Attached Images

Wow those look like crap. Sorry guys still figuring this thing out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.