Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I managed to find a Home Depot here that stocked it. I picked up 3 cans solid. I'm planning on ...
    odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Let's see if the plasti dip hold's up

I managed to find a Home Depot here that stocked it. I picked up 3 cans solid. I'm planning on doing the grill tomorrow, assuming it doesn't magically snow here in NYC like it did yesterday. LOL

Oh btw... Silver CTS-V... Blacked out fogs, tails, etc... with the bottom portion lip of the bumper blacked out = erect pen0r... just sayin.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I'm thinking about hitting my rims with this to have something different for a while. According to a guy selling his V on ls1, this stuff 'peels' off any time without harm to the wheel finish....?... Any of you guys experience the same result or have input on the validity of that?

I can't afford a second set of rims to permanently black out so it seems the time and effort would be worth it considering the low cost.. Just need to source some black center caps..

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Completely valid. The thicker you spray it, the easier it comes off. If you just spray one thin coat it doesn't come off in sheets. I'd do a minimum of 3 coats.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

yeah. You can spray this crap all over your car and it doesnt mess anything up

atoler27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

YouTube plastidip rims

I just finished doing the headlight outlines, and the grill mesh... This stuff peels right off. I'll vouch for that for sure. I painted a good amount of stuff today and the next time I get off, I'll continue painting the bottom mesh and the rest of what I had planned.

I lightly ran my xacto over the emblem and then using my thumb, just rubbed until the cut opened up in the plastic, and then peeled it right off. I had spray painted over the emblem, etc. Didn't mask it on the grill.

I completely suck at painting. I overspray anything from even 20 feet away, but I found this very very easy to work with, and knowing that if I messed up, I could just peel it off and retry was awesome.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

doing the whole grille looks better : )

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    doing the whole grille looks better : )
    LOL I truly contemplated it... but my procrastination didn't allow me to give it too much effort today. LOL

it takes a little bit of time. Do it when you have a few hours.
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

atoler27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

[QUOTE]Oh btw... Silver CTS-V... Blacked out fogs, tails, etc... with the bottom portion lip of the bumper blacked out = erect pen0r... just sayin. / [QUOTE]

LOL thanks man

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by atoler27 View Post
    YouTube plastidip rims
    I checked it out.. Some looked good, some looked like total ass. I guess paint is paint. One dude sprayed his and slapped them on within minutes, while the car was on jackstands in the street... Terrible.

I was thinking about some custom matte overlays for the center caps as the gloss black caps would contrast. Or source some silver and paint only the surrounding area apart from the logo..

On another note, this could be a good replacement paint for the shifter trim bezel............

wwteg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac cts-v

Very nice.....Ok i have a question. I just bought a 05 black cts-v. And the previous owner spray painted the girlles, and it is chipping. I would really like to try out this plasti dip stuff. How do i do i go about gettin the paint off the crome trim and the netting. And also how do i go about prepping for the plasti dip before spraying. thanks.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

you don't need to do any prep work for plasti dip as its a coating and not a paint. I would clean the grill the best you can. Then spray it with the plasti-dip over the current paint.

I took wire brush and my old paint came off easy. You have to make sure you get all of it off though, or the stuff that is left is going to lift your plasti dip off the mesh. If I was going to do it again, i'd just leave the paint and plasti dip over it

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    I took wire brush and my old paint came off easy. You have to make sure you get all of it off though, or the stuff that is left is going to lift your plasti dip off the mesh. If I was going to do it again, i'd just leave the paint and plasti dip over it
    I just washed the mesh, let it dry, and then plasti dipped it. Its ridiculously simple because it is a coating and not necessarily paint.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.