Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Let's see if the plasti dip holds up

85K views 241 replies 58 participants last post by  vdaddy05 
#1 ·
The first time I painted my grill I used a bunch of different shit like bulldog (chrome adhesive) like 3 coats of primer, a bunch of coats of paint and a bunch of clear. about 2 months into it the paint started chipping and getting worse and worse and worse. A lot of people have been using the plasti dip so I thought, hey.... i'd give it a try. The second time was a lot faster because I knew how to take everything off and bla bla bla. About 3 cans later just to be on the safer side. So that's about 25$ worth of plasti dip and sandpaper which is $5. And water for the sandpaper to wet sand everything..... Priceless. Also I used about 4-5 coats on each piece

Here are some before pictures

And After......... I used a wire brush which is shown in one of the pictures to get as much of the older paint as I could off of the mesh grill part. This plasti dip seems to stick to pretty much anything though

See less See more
#102 ·
Very nice.....Ok i have a question. I just bought a 05 black cts-v. And the previous owner spray painted the girlles, and it is chipping. I would really like to try out this plasti dip stuff. How do i do i go about gettin the paint off the crome trim and the netting. And also how do i go about prepping for the plasti dip before spraying. thanks.

#103 ·
you don't need to do any prep work for plasti dip as its a coating and not a paint. I would clean the grill the best you can. Then spray it with the plasti-dip over the current paint.

#104 ·
I took wire brush and my old paint came off easy. You have to make sure you get all of it off though, or the stuff that is left is going to lift your plasti dip off the mesh. If I was going to do it again, i'd just leave the paint and plasti dip over it

#107 ·
#122 ·
/\ what color v? I did the grill and got tired of the chrome trim and redid the whole thing and the bumper... very happy with the look

#124 ·
stock color wheels... leave the the grill surround chrome. nice contrast imo..

#129 ·
I was thinking about doing that I may just peel it off on the outside of the emblem first so all of the emblem will be chrome except the colored logo in the middle and then I will leave the rest of the front black I will post up pics... I am also ordering the glossifier to test

#126 ·
Andringa said:
Have any of you thought about using plasti dip to protect paint on long drives/track days? (I'm thinking front end and behind rear wheels.) I know some people do painters tape so they don't get rock chips, but this seems like it might be even easier/better? Thoughts?
My son (10) actually suggested this to me after seeing a C6 driver painter tape half his car before a Solo race. I will probably give its try along with some good humored racing stripes, lightning bolts and a big ass "Jake" on the hood. Wheels are next, maybe this weekend.

#128 ·
There are water-soluble products that would likely be better than Plasti-Dip for temporary use like a track-day. Better in that they would be much easier to remove, overspray is not a concern, etc. How would you plastidip your front bumper without it getting overspray in the grill, on the lights, etc? And how big a pain would it be to remove?

I used this at the last V-day: http://www.prowax.com/specialty_products/S-10-22_Bug_Guard.html You can keep spraying it on after it dries to get it thicker and thicker.

Duplicolor makes this: http://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor-weblogic/products/shield/

The biggest plus is my car didn't look ridiculous for pictures, since it is fairly clear (it looks cloudy up close though):

#130 ·
There are water-soluble products that would likely be better than Plasti-Dip for temporary use like a track-day. Better in that they would be much easier to remove, overspray is not a concern, etc. How would you plastidip your front bumper without it getting overspray in the grill, on the lights, etc? And how big a pain would it be to remove?

I used this at the last V-day: http://www.prowax.com/specialty_products/S-10-22_Bug_Guard.html You can keep spraying it on after it dries to get it thicker and thicker.

Duplicolor makes this: http://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor-weblogic/products/shield/

The biggest plus is my car didn't look ridiculous for pictures, since it is fairly clear (it looks cloudy up close though):
That Duplicolor product looks interesting. But it looks like it would require about as much prep as Plastidip. Definitely looks like it would be easy to remove though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.