Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Let's see if the plasti dip holds up

85K views 241 replies 58 participants last post by  vdaddy05 
#1 ·
The first time I painted my grill I used a bunch of different shit like bulldog (chrome adhesive) like 3 coats of primer, a bunch of coats of paint and a bunch of clear. about 2 months into it the paint started chipping and getting worse and worse and worse. A lot of people have been using the plasti dip so I thought, hey.... i'd give it a try. The second time was a lot faster because I knew how to take everything off and bla bla bla. About 3 cans later just to be on the safer side. So that's about 25$ worth of plasti dip and sandpaper which is $5. And water for the sandpaper to wet sand everything..... Priceless. Also I used about 4-5 coats on each piece

Here are some before pictures

And After......... I used a wire brush which is shown in one of the pictures to get as much of the older paint as I could off of the mesh grill part. This plasti dip seems to stick to pretty much anything though

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, I might do that pending your feedback on how it holds up to rock chips, but I would definitely spray some clearcoat on afterward.

#7 ·
I already tested a couple clear coats. The plasti dip just eats it up no matter what. so until plasti-dip comes out with a "gloss black", I think it'll have to be flat black. The cool thing is, is it's really easy to take off. about 400 miles and 2 washes with no chips so far. There have been testimony's of track days and multiple washes with no chipping or tearing.

Also, from far. It doesnt really look flat black cause the stuff is a viynl kinda rubbery stuff, so it has a little shine to it. In the dark you cant even tell it's a flat black color

#9 ·
nope. And it is very easy to remove. There is a guy on some srt8 forum that sprayed his whole car with it just to see what it looked like and then a couple days later just took it all off. another video on youtube shows it holding up against a power washer. Then after the guy easily removes it with his fingers. Great stuff IMO

#12 ·
That's another good idea. I think it can pretty much be used on anything. Also another heads up. I sprayed my whole grill inside of my garage and it left a thick layer of black on the ground. it comes off with a simple swipe of the broom so dont worry about doing it outside if you dont want to

#15 ·
pics or it never happened rawdawgmike

#16 · (Edited)
doublepost

#21 ·
dayum it happend..

saw the pics on facebook.. looks smokin

whaaa you guys havin meets without me.. hit a V brotha up lol

#25 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Hood

Went ahead and painted my front end with the plasti dip as well. When thing you have to watch for is the it acts like a coating more than a paint so when i was peeling the painters tape off the crest, it would peel some of the grill paint nearby also.

#28 ·
I used almost 2 whole cans.... I couldn't get the lower piece out with out getting underneath the car or pulling the front end off so i taped it up first and then painted it.. again led to issues with the coating adhering to both the grill and tape and peeling off as i peeled the tape, required a bit of touch up. You can buy it at home depot or OSH for between $5-7 a can. I also really like the contrast of the gloss to more matte look simply because they are trim pieces and it helps them stand out a little.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Grille

#27 ·
Now I'm thinking about jumping on this bandwagon too. The OP said he used 3 cans. I agree with some that don't really like the flat black on the chrome piece, I might leave mine chrome but since you could just peel it off why not do both and gauge it in person. Where do you get this stuff autozone or something?

#29 ·
the bottom grill comes out without bumper removal, or having to go underneath. It would have been 99% easier if you still had the top grill off, but it's gonna be pretty much impossible since its back on. There are pins all the way around the bottom and top of that grill so you gotta get them all. Pop it inwards and flip it sideways and remove it at an angle.

#30 ·
I popped all the pins out and had everything set to pull it out, however there was a plastic piece on the drivers side that was intruding and restricting movement of the grill so i couldn't even really pull it back at all...

#33 ·
Very hard plastic, it didn't want to budge and i didn't want to press my luck and break something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.