Accessory Power Help Needed!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Accessory Power Help Needed!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have a 2004 CTS-V which I have been doing a stereo upgrade on. I installed a new 200 amp ...
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Angry Accessory Power Help Needed!!

I have a 2004 CTS-V which I have been doing a stereo upgrade on. I installed a new 200 amp alternator, upgraded the big 3 wires, new optima battery and new belts. I also ran some new wires through the exsisting firewall for some amps in the back.

I finished the job and put everything back together and now I have no accessory power at the switch. The lights work, seats move and power door locks work but when I turn the ignition switch, nothing happens, no power whatsoever. I can hear the relays clicking in the rear fuse panels as if it's trying to get power but nothing happens.

I've checked every fuse in the car and tested power at all of the fuse panels. There is 12 volts at every fuse box and none of the fuses are blown (I even tested the fuses with the voltmeter to make sure they were fully functioning). I also looked for any loose grounds that I could think of and found nothing loose.

Could the PCM be preventing the car from getting power at the ignition switch even though there is power throughout the car? Could the alarm system be preventing power for any reason (the factory key fob works fine)? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

My next step this weekend is to test the leads at the actual switch. Other than that I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Accessory Power Help Needed!!

Accessory power is the brown wire on the keyswitch.

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

Have you checked the relays? Swap similar relays and see if that works.

Thank you for the input! I will test the brown wire at the switch as well as the relays this weekend. I went ahead and ordered a new switch since it was only $30 so hopefully I'll be back in business shortly.

Update - I solved the issue! Just incase anybody runs into a similar wiring issue, let me add what I found.

The solution was a pin connector in the S200 IP Harness located in the dash behind the glove box that has just slightly come loose. The problem was in order to find that I had to take the ignition apart, cut all the ignition wires and test each lead to find which one was dead. After I found the wire that was dead it was easy to trace back using the wiring diagrams I have from the factory service manual.

If you run into a similiar issue, I suggest you check the major harness pin connectors in the dash first before you tear the ignition apart. Had I done that I would have saved a lot of headaches and frustration. The ignition switch runs off two different postive 12 volt leads, one from the engine compartment fuse box and one from the fuse box located under the passenger rear seat. If both leads do not register a positve 12 volts, then you can't start the car. When you turn the ignition swith the accessory power then runs through a brown (looks grey) wire into the dash integration module and then to the relay in the engine compartment.

The line from the passenger rear seat runs from the fuse box along side the passenger kick panel and up through the dash to another harness which is secured by a white plastic clip that is easy to bump loose if you are doing any wiring in the car.

If you need help, PM me. I've spent hours upon hours studying these wiring diagrams and have a good feel for what is going on in these cadillacs, particulary the sound and navigation systems.

baskak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.2

can somebody perhaps give some suggestions regarding sudden disappearance of accessory power in both sockets? both fuses are okay. i may have overloaded the supply, though. is there any other master fuse? any idea? thanks in advance. sorry, as a new user i can't pm.

baskak
    cts 3.2 2003

btw. any suggestion where to get the separate manual for the bose soundsystem from? i got my car second-hand, no manual was included. it's the european version (if that matters).

If all 4 fuses are okay under the hood, you probably need a new Relay. The power wires for the Auxiliary Power Outlet and Cigar Lighter both run directly from the fuse box under the hood, so there is nothing in between the fuse and the outlets that could cause an issue. Make sure you check both of the 20A "I/P outlet" fuses and both of the 30A "Oulet" fuses. Since both outlets are not working it is most likely a bad relay. Here is the wiring diagram for a 2003 CTS OutletAttachment 78987

If that doesn't solve the problem for some reason then you have a ground issue, your ground leads off the outlets must have a short. Best way to test would be with a voltmeter check the power coming in to make sure you have 12 volts then test the ground leads to make sure they aren't shorted.

Best place to buy a navigation manual is on e-bay, here is a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-20...item45edd7caad

I have factory service manual software which I purchased off e-bay and it also has the manuals for the car and navigation, If you understand how to run a virtual machine I would go that route, costs the same and you have all the information you will ever need!

Hope that helps!

Elliot

hi elliot, thanks for superquick reply! i'll check the relay first, then.
    are there four or two fuses, though?
    brg

The wiring diagram shows four, fuses 72, 70, 57 and 59. Two of them should be marked "I/P Outlet" which are 20amp fuses and two of them should be marked "Outlet" and are 30amp fuses. There should be a total of four according to the diagram, but I haven't verified this on my car so there's a slim chance there are only two.

Also FYI, I had to replace a few relays in my cts-v and no autoparts stores had them in stock, I checked Napa, Shucks and Carquest. I ended up buying them at the dealership but they were only about $10 a piece so not too bad.

Good luck!

thanks for the diagram indeed. i think there are two fuses. each has two mounting positions changing the source connection (the sockets actually have three holes each).
    you can find it on cadillacfaq, search for switched accessory power... i can't post links
    which, btw., means the relay is bypassed in the other mounting position. gotta check.
    nice intercontinental investigation we do here

Ah yes you are exactly right! I've read that post a few times in the past about the switch accessory power on the faq site. If that's the case then it should be an easy fix for you to test, just bypass the relay. I vaguely remember him saying something about the fact that it doesn't work on some of the newer cars, but never tested it myself. I haven't had to mess with the switch accessory power besides tapping off it for some hard wired accessories inside the car like my ipod plug and radar detector, but I do distinctly remember seeing the dual pole fuse positions in my fuse box.

Keep me posted on what you find out, if you need the ground distribution diagrams let me know.

-Elliot

One more quick note, closer inspection of the diagram shows very clearly the two posts you were referring to, looks like they called it "battery saver mode". One post on each fuse runs from the relay and one runs directly from the fuse panel power. Pretty ingenious thing for Cadillac to add!

MO POWA! is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

where can i get a high output alternator?

I got mine from Maniac Electric Motors, paid $425 with shipping and couldn't be happier. It's a direct OEM replacement and has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it (10 months ago). I did a lot of research on H/O alternators before I bought this one and not only do these guys make the best and most reliable alternator out there (lots of horror stories from other shops), but they stand behind their product and have great customer service.

Here is a link to the Cadillac Alternators:

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/cts.html

The install is a little tricky since the alternator is at the bottom of the motor, but only took me a few hours. If you install one, drain the radiator and pop it out and you'll have no problem getting to the bolts to take the alternator off. I also replaced my belts while I was at it and upgraded the power and ground wires to 0 Gauge. Getting to the lead wire on the back of the alternator that runs to the battey can be a little tricky but if you remove the front driver side wheel there is an access panel that you can stick your hand through to undo the nut holding the wire on.

My stock alternator was throwing error messages to my NAV unit (battery not charging) and the dealership wanted to charge me $1,400 to install a new one. $425 later and three hours on a Saturday afternoon and not only did I save money and fix the error codes, but now I have a 200 amp alternator! (I think stock these cars some with 150amp)

If you do this job and have any questions let me know, I have all the factory instructions and torque specs to get the alternator installed.

-Elliot

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.