Remove OnStar antenna for tint job?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Remove OnStar antenna for tint job? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm having my car tinted on thursday and was wondering what to do with the antenna on the back window. ...
    JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Remove OnStar antenna for tint job?

I'm having my car tinted on thursday and was wondering what to do with the antenna on the back window. I read something about people removing the antenna and putting it back after. Did they only remove the inside box or both the outside and the inside. I guess the question I have is, will the guy need the back window to be flat so he can cut the tint to shape or does it not matter that the external one is on the window. I just don't want him to screw it up when he removes it. What should I do? I was planning on removing both and putting them back on after the tint dries but wont if it's not necessary. Maybe I'll just do the inside. :shrug:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cts-vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Remove OnStar antenna for tint job?

I had mine done over by "touch of class" in smithtown, They took care of it and it looks as if they took off the inside (just the way it's cut)
    I have not had any problems (at least that i am aware of)

LS6HVN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Blk/Blk, 2004 Escalade Wht

When I had mine done, the guy removed both pieces. Then cut a square a bit smaller than the inside piece out of the tint and reglued the pieces back on the window. The inside piece screws onto a cable kinda like a TV. Said he had the same adhesive that the factory uses. (something to check on?) So far, so good. As a side note, the only issues I have with the back window was air bubbles at the top because of the anntenna/ heating element "dots" kinda prevent the tint from sticking.

Making it stick on the dots is a lot of work but it can be done. I know on my camaro I had to squeegie out where the dots were for days. After awhile it will stick to it but you have to keep on top of it in the beginning.

LS6HVN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Blk/Blk, 2004 Escalade Wht

Thanks Joey, I'll give it try. The guy said I could use a credit card as a sqeegee but i didn't want to damage the tint.

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have a 2005 V that I just took delivery on. It does not have the antenna mounted on the right rear window. My dealer told me that on the 2005s, the On-star is combined with the XM radio antenna on the roof.

Can anyone confirm the truth of that? Virtually everything else that the dealer has told me has been totally incorrect.

Carl

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Yes Carl, the 2005 has the combo antenna. Your dealer told you one thing right.

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Pretty sure this has been discussed before, but can the '04 V's be converted to have the '05 OnStar/XM antenna?

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT
    Pretty sure this has been discussed before, but can the '04 V's be converted to have the '05 OnStar/XM antenna?
    yes, but it would end up becoming too expensive and it's not worth it imo.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by LS6HVN
    a side note, the only issues I have with the back window was air bubbles at the top because of the anntenna/ heating element "dots" kinda prevent the tint from sticking.
    I also have this issue did anyone else have this issue?

Well, I'm not sure how they did my rear window because I can't even tell if they removed it or not. They probably did and put it back on. As for the matrix dots on the top of the window, try to squeegie them whenever you remember. It will take time but it will stick better and better. My car has the same problem. This seemed to work on my Z28 so I'm gonna give it a try. I'll do it a little tomorrow when I get home from work. BTW, the V looks sweet with the tint job. :tup:

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crowan
    I have a 2005 V that I just took delivery on. It does not have the antenna mounted on the right rear window. My dealer told me that on the 2005s, the On-star is combined with the XM radio antenna on the roof.

Can anyone confirm the truth of that? Virtually everything else that the dealer has told me has been totally incorrect.

Carl
    I read your post about your dealership giving you incorrect information. Which one? Jim Coleman? Capitol?

I ask because I bought mine from Capitol, and every single thing they told me was incorrect. I knew a lot about the car going into the dealership, but things on financing, maintenance, etc. turned out to all be completely false.

Anyways, I work in Bethesda (West Bethesda) and I drive mine everyday to work from Clarksville, so I'll keep an eye out for yours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.