Shift Knob Fail - Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Shift Knob Fail - Help! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So back in October I ordered the UUC short shifter and suede V2 knob from Lindsay. About the same time ...
    pharoh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS-V

Shift Knob Fail - Help!

So back in October I ordered the UUC short shifter and suede V2 knob from Lindsay. About the same time I ordered the black suede/light grey stitched shiftboot from RedLine goods, but because it ships from Europe I received it a week after the SSK/v2 knob. Being the impatient soul I am, I installed the UUC Short Shifter and v2 knob the day after I got it. Now, no matter what I do, I *CANNOT* get the darned v2 knob off the UUC shifter to install the boot. I was able to get the stock knob off the stock shifter w/ no issue. But this, I've literally spent several evenings trying to pull/yank/pry from underneath with channel locks with no luck.

I've marred the base of the v2 knob (which you don't see under the boot) and the beautiful (otherwise unseen) machined finish of the UUC shaft with no luck in getting the knob off. Now I have a $55 shift boot I can't install short of destroying the $120 v2 knob, FML! I've installed my Magnaflow catback and UUC shifter by myself, as well as countless other mods on past cars. I can't believe I've been defeated by a darn SHIFT KNOB!!!

</rant>

Anyone here have any advice as to how I can go about this? I've tried the push up toward 5th and pull back towards 2nd methods (the towards 2nd method is how the stock shift knob came off). I'm about to open a FS thread on the darned shift boot otherwise 'cause its getting to be more trouble than its worth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Shift Knob Fail - Help!

HA! Yep. Same thing happened to me and about everyone else that's tried to remove the V2 knob. My advice is open the sunroof, stradle the center console, and stop babying it (j/k). There is no real secret other than brute strength, don't use tools just muscle it. Mine finally came off randomly after many attempts. Try it every morning and you'll have a new boot by Christmas.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Castro View Post
    HA! Yep. Same thing happened to me and about everyone else that's tried to remove the V2 knob. My advice is open the sunroof, stradle the center console, and stop babying it (j/k). There is no real secret other than brute strength, don't use tools just muscle it. Mine finally came off randomly after many attempts. Try it every morning and you'll have a new boot by Christmas.
    Troof. The UUC is the worst to get shift knobs off and I can attest to that. I have had mine off a few different times and it doesn't get any easier subsequently! Why in the heck do we not have threaded knobs like the rest of the world?!

G/L OP just eat yer wheaties and go to town.

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Troof. The UUC is the worst to get shift knobs off and I can attest to that. I have had mine off a few different times and it doesn't get any easier subsequently! Why in the heck do we not have threaded knobs like the rest of the world?!

G/L OP just eat yer wheaties and go to town.

LOL Thanks guys! So which method have you had the most success with, pulling up and towards second gear?

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i found it to be easier if you twist back and forth while pulling up, still needs a lot of force, but put it in second, pull and try to kind of twist back and forth on the knob

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

^^^^^

That's what I was gonna say too. While steadily pulling with all your might: try twisting the handle slightly CW/CCW. Eventually that worked for me, and I too had more difficulty getting the V2 knob to liberate from the UUC shifter. There's a groove cut in the shift lever the knob clips to. The purpose of pulling or twisting at a certain angle is to unseat/unclip the knob from the notch.

I do recall almost giving myself a hernia and putting at least 100 lbs of upward pressure on that darn knob before it gave way...then I had to change my pants.

STOP with the channel locks on your purdy new V2 knob! The portion of it that clips to the shifter is plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanTamu View Post
    ^^^^^

That's what I was gonna say too. While steadily pulling with all your might: try twisting the handle slightly CW/CCW. Eventually that worked for me, and I too had more difficulty getting the V2 knob to liberate from the UUC shifter. There's a groove cut in the shift lever the knob clips to. The purpose of pulling or twisting at a certain angle is to unseat/unclip the knob from the notch.

I do recall almost giving myself a hernia and putting at least 100 lbs of upward pressure on that darn knob before it gave way...then I had to change my pants.

STOP with the channel locks on your purdy new V2 knob! The portion of it that clips to the shifter is plastic.
    I kid you not when I say the first evening I was tugging so hard for a good 45 minutes that my shirt was soaked and my whole arm/shoulder was sore for the next 2 days. The only thing that came out of that session was a good crap immediately after. LOL!

The channel lock thing I tried was from underneath the shift boot side. The UUC has that flat ledge that I tried to use as leverage. I'll try the twist action tonight and see if I get any luck. I'll get this shift boot on yet!!!

You guys ROCK! The twisting action did the trick and it was fairly easy! The new shiftboot is now ON!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    might as well post a pic or two..

Ask and you shall receive!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Well, it was worth the grief. Looks great!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I agree. I don't think anyone has this combo yet.. the boot was a good addition.

SRTTOCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Nice!!! I might go this route......

zzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v-xlr v

Quote Originally Posted by SRTTOCTSV View Post
    Nice!!! I might go this route......
    the boot is a different color suede than then the V2 knob The boot has a black /Reddish purple tint where as the V2 knob has a black Green tint. I am Looking into getting the boot dyed to match closer to the knob.

jeffthenail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 TG V1

Does this mean that you are going to remove it again?? Perhaps a video for us to watch the fun this time!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.