My new TWM Performance Shift Knob
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, My new TWM Performance Shift Knob in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I finally got tired of my stock shift knob and decided it was time to change to a weighted knob. ...
    junoreactor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Maggied CTS-V

My new TWM Performance Shift Knob

I finally got tired of my stock shift knob and decided it was time to change to a weighted knob. I had initially looked elsewhere and had a very bad experience with another company. The Holden knob, although very nice looking, wasn't for me. After a lot of looking around on the internet I found TWM Performance.

They didn't have any models specifically listed for the V. I started a discussion through email with them and they got back to me very quickly. After giving them the measurements of my UUC short shifter shaft they figured it was the same as the 89-04 Corvette. Through the course of several emails they told me to pick the Corvette knob size on the product page and write in the comments for the order that we discussed one for the V. What was great was that we had our discussion through email all the way up to something like 2am EST. That's some amazing customer service!

The style that really attracted me was the TWM Piston in stainless steel. It is 520 grams and just the right size for me. The shifting is easier than stock due to the added weight and the feel is more notchy feeling now.

I really like how the knob feels as the pads on my hand at the lowest joint just fit into the indentation in the top of the knob. There are no sharp edges at all and it is just a really well made piece.

To attach the knob to the shaft of the shifter, they supply you with a little metal collar that you place on the shaft at the desired height. It is secured with three little set screws. After the screws are tightened you simply thread the knob onto the top of the collar and you are done. The collar makes for a modular system so that you can use whatever knob you want on their website, some exceptions of course.

This is the model I chose. The TWM Piston.
    http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...hiftknobs.html

Here are some pics of mine installed.

------

------

In the pics I scraped and sanded off that old rubbery paint stuff on the shifter bezel and repainted it with some matte black and clear coat. It came out a lot shinier than I expected but I still really like how it looks. The stainless steel of the knob matches the interior of the V quite nicely. At the same time I also added a suede boot from Redline Goods. I'm quite happy about my results. The car is a lot more fun to drive with the heavier knob.
    If anyone's looking for a new knob, I'd highly recommend TWM Performance. Shipping is quite speedy and packaging is top notch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: My new TWM Performance Shift Knob

I just looked at the product page again, and I see that they do specifically include the V now in the product offerings.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

TWM has an excellent reputation over on NASIOC, the Subaru forum. As you found, they're very willing to work with customers to develop new applications or come up with custom stuff.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Great write-up on the shifter knob.

Now, I loved to know more about what's in your ashtray
    and the control knob & button by your cup holder.
    looks cool.
    Need a write-up on the cool blue light.

Those are both for audio equipment. In the front door of the ashtray I've got the control module for my Audison BitOne audio processor. Behind that when you flip down the door is a monitor for the Zapco 9.0 amp for my subs. It monitors stuff like sub lvl, battery voltage, amp rail voltages, temps, etc. That little knob by the cupholder is a controller to change various parameters on the Zapco amp. Hopefully I'll have some pics up here soon. My car is off for detailing right now so when it gets back I'll get time to get some pictures of everything. It's my luck that the day I took my car for detailing (yesterday) and today there was non-stop rain. And a little sleet. So nothing has been done yet.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Wow, I really like that knob. I will be ordering one. I also really like the suede boot. It looks great.

I will be copying your idea to repaint the shift surround. Mine looks nasty.

Nice work!

bcarv87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05` maggied V

I wonder if they would add a shift pattern like ours

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Pretty sweet knob. The only thing that keeps me from considering it is that it looks like she'd get DAMN hot after being parked outside in the Arizona summer heat for an afternoon. I could see chunks of skin being left behind on there on a 118 degree day.

I'm sure they could get a shift pattern like ours. They have one that is 6 speed but I think the 6th gear is on the wrong side. I don't remember without looking again though.

As for it getting damn hot I'm sure it does because it's solid stainless steel. I do know for a fact it gets damn cold right about now though! But that's to be expected.

rpgibbs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 05 CTS-V

How does the bezel (with the boot) come out of the console since I would like to paint mine like you did on yours? Also, is the boot attached to the bezel and ws the new shiter (the piston) easy to replace (a direct fit with the OEM shifter)? Thanks

The bezel is very easy to remove from the console. There are two tabs on one side. Maybe you can pop it out by sliding it while prying very lightly. It takes about 5 seconds. After you disconnect it you have to pull like hell on the OEM knob to get it to pop off the shifter stalk. It requires a lot of force because there is a lip inside that catches on part of the shifter. I forget which gear I put it in to get some good force. When it's off of the shifter, carefully pop off the silver trim ring which has little clips that snap into the bezel. Perhaps some little pliers would be good to pinch the clips together to get it apart. Watch out because they will break if you bend them too hard. After the trim ring is off the bezel you need to remove the boot from the bezel. The boot has fingers/strips of leather that are glued to the inside of the bezel. Again pliers helped me in removing the boot. You can yank on the boot leather pretty good, it won't tear.

The knob I put on is a direct fit because they give you a little metal collar that you put onto the shifter first. Then tighten the set screws to hold it in place and thread the new knob on. It's really a very easy job that anyone can do. TWM Performance has a lot of knob choices you can use. They are all threaded to use with the collar I believe. If you aren't sure just shoot them an email. They respond quickly and are really easy to deal with. I'll be going with them on the next car I have most likely.

silver02stang is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): LS6 CTS-V

I just checked out their website - how bout seein if they can make that bronze bushing kit for us as well

DrSzabo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V - Light Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by bcarv87 View Post
    I wonder if they would add a shift pattern like ours
    Looks like they added the V's shift pattern now.

I painted that trim ring as well after seeing the above pic...it was very easy and looks amazing!!! Now I'm debating on painting the trim around the Nav. I don't think it would be near as easy, and I still wonder how good it would look?!?!?

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

That looks pimp, you should ask them which styles would work so they can add our cars to the model selection list.

Noisycow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS-V

Very nice knob, might get one. Stainless w/ shift pattern. Got a link on the suede boot?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.