Opinion on Wheels - Post Hub Conversion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Moda MD5 or Avarus AV3 ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moda MD5

14 87.50%
  • Avarus AV3

2 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Opinion on Wheels - Post Hub Conversion in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Now that my CTS-V has Corvette hubs, they open up a world of possible wheel choices; especially those that fit ...
    POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Opinion on Wheels - Post Hub Conversion

Now that my CTS-V has Corvette hubs, they open up a world of possible wheel choices; especially those that fit BMW 3-series. And, no, that's not an open invitation to argue between 5x120 and 5x120.65 PCD.

Today I was perusing TireRack website and realized/found out that wheels intended for E46 or E90 had the best size combination (widths ranging from 8" to 9.5", ET around 35-45, and hub size is identical at 72 mm).

Originally, I wanted to use these 19x10.5 SSR Comp-H I have owned for years (long story on those), but those I found to be way too wide to fit up front. The 9.5" wide wheels, that are currently on the car, are already a bit too wide.

So I looked around and decided to find cheap 19x9.5 wheels. Some of the choices fell on Moda MD5 and Avarus AV3. Please note that the applicable wheel is for rear fitment only on both cases. I'm a bit concerned of caliper clearance; the Moda appears to have more lateral clearance.

I like polished lip over machined lip but that's not a major deciding factor. The prices differ by quite a bit; the Moda is merely $49 while the Avarus is $149. By the time there are 4 wheels factored in, the difference is significant (for me) at $400. If cost is of no concern, which wheel do you guys think look better on the car ?

Here is a couple of very recent pictures of the car. The wheels are OEM front C6 Z06 wheels. Size is 18x9.5, ET40 with 3-mm spacers up front to clear the upright/hub carrier. Tires are 255/45/18 GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar (not EMT).

Picture of the Moda MD5

Picture of the Avarus AV3

My small write-up on the hub conversion as follows - copied and pasted

The front has '10 Camaro SS rotors. The rear use old rotors with two PCDs. This is in addition of the center bore machining for the front Camaro rotors.

I'll post some pictures of the car after the hub conversion later. I run four OEM C6 Z06 front wheels (18x9.5 ET40) with 255/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars and 3-mm spacers in the front to clear the upright/hub carrier. 5-mm spacers would work better as far as clearance with the hub carrier is concerned.

The front hubs were very easy. 18-mm wrench is all needed to take off the caliper bolts and the hub bolts. Unbolt the caliper and set aside. Come to think of it, you don't even need to remove the torx-headed rotor retaining screw. Then unclip/unplug the wheel sensor connector and VOILA! the hub and rotor should come out in one piece.

The rears were hell. The parking brake needs to be kept intact, otherwise extra works needed to reassemble it, however it's not a big deal with the hub off. With the hub on, it's additional half a hell. Don't ask me how I found out

If you could access the axle nut without removing the wheel, undo the huge 34-mm-headed nuts when the car is still on the ground. You will need at least a 2-ft breaker bar. The longer the better.

Jack up car, unbolt wheel and remove.

Unbolt caliper (two, 18 mm head), remove it from the rotor and set it aside. Unbolt rotor (torx, can't remember, T-20 I think ?) and remove. Unbolt the parking brake bracket (two, 15 mm head). Make sure parking brake is off before this.

Set up your axle remover. The threaded kind is preferred over the hammer-style.

The problem with the rear is the axle stub. After breaking it free from the hub spline, the half shaft will not retract completely to clear the hub. That will require undoing one of the ball joints or maybe even more than just one ball joint; that rear suspension isn't as simple as a C5/C6. I chose not to go with this route.

You will be fighting with trying to keep the half shaft retracted enough so you can get access to the bottom bolt that retains the hub to the hub carrier. Grab a flat screw driver to keep the half shaft retracted; use the hub carrier as your pivot point and slide the blade into the stub flat area that faces the hub. Watch for the wheel speed sensor wires, don't pinch/damage any of them. You will understand once you see it

Now, you may need to keep the puller handy as the stub sometimes got stuck partway as it's sliding out of the hub. Take the old hub out and watch out, the half shaft will want to spring back. Mind the wheel speed sensor wires and the parking brake backing plate.

Reverse the process.

On all accounts:

1. Chock the car especially when working with a rear hub.
    2. Make sure the wheel speed sensor wires are clear from moving parts including, not limited to, the axle stub. Very narrow clearances here.
    3. Make sure the hub is oriented correctly so the wheel speed sensor wires are not stretched/pulled. Memorize the relative location of these wires on the old hub.
    4. If you are reusing the old rear rotors, make sure they are not switched around or you will need to readjust the parking brakes; possibly burning out a brake shoe. Again, don't ask me how I knew ...

Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2364244

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Opinion on Wheels - Post Hub Conversion

Nobody cared to volunteer an opinion ? 50+ views and none

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I voted for the MD5s. I have always liked the look of a 5-spoked wheel with relatively thicker spokes. If it was me, I would want to see how both wheels looked photoshopped on that pic of your V before I made the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    I voted for the MD5s. I have always liked the look of a 5-spoked wheel with relatively thicker spokes. If it was me, I would want to see how both wheels looked photoshopped on that pic of your V before I made the decision.
    Not a bad idea.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

glad to see you have this swap done. I know you have mentioned it a few times but to prob help explain some questions maybe you can put up what you used for the swap. then i am sure people would have more to comment, even though you are only asking about wheel choices.

I voted and i think the moda is a nice wheel. even come m6 wheels if they fit would be a nice way to go.

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

bro you spent alot of time and energy on doing the hub swap you should throw some breytons on there it would look mean!http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Black+Painted

Quote Originally Posted by lilgCTS-V View Post
    bro you spent alot of time and energy on doing the hub swap you should throw some breytons on there it would look mean!http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Black+Painted
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm poor now after the hub conversion

That Breyton GTS-R is $300 a piece in 19x9.5. I'll keep an eye on it

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    glad to see you have this swap done. I know you have mentioned it a few times but to prob help explain some questions maybe you can put up what you used for the swap. then i am sure people would have more to comment, even though you are only asking about wheel choices.

I voted and i think the moda is a nice wheel. even come m6 wheels if they fit would be a nice way to go.
    I did mention it in post #120.

I'll copy and paste the post into the first post in this thread.

ohh i know, but some may be on the forum less and think you are confused thinking you have a 5 lug oem

Quote Originally Posted by lilgCTS-V View Post
    sick wheels

No doubt Breyton GTS-R is some sick wheel I like the silver version of it.

mr_e_mann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I like the double spokes, but I'm not a fan of the rivets in the AV3.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_e_mann View Post
    I like the double spokes, but I'm not a fan of the rivets in the AV3.
    Do not despair, I will still keep the wheels currently on the car

I'm just looking for a 2nd set for it.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree with tweeter, hate the rivets. I'd go with the Moda and figure out a caddy center cap for them.

Moda it is then

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.