So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ZZ i love that hood...
    xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood

ZZ i love that hood

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Oh, and I'm not sure I'll ever really have the balls to do this. I guess if I can find a cheap-ass donor hood to cut as a test before I cut into the "real" hood?
    Fast forward a few years and I finally sourced a cheap-ass donor hood. Checked the local Pick-n-Pull's inventory this morning and saw they had a 2006 CTS - the first time I've seen them have a CTS. I wanted to look at a couple things for my other 2 cars, so I headed over. The CTS's hood was not only intact and in decent shape, but someone had already removed it, so all the hard work was done! $55 out the door! (I occasionally look for them on Ebay, and even considered buying one a month or so ago, but about the lowest I've seen them priced was ~$250. Usually they're $300+ and then another $100+ freight on top of that, with the risk that the aluminum hood is going to get damaged along the way.)

It's not the right color, and the paint is pretty beat up along the center ridge (dragged on the gravel in the junkyard?), but for $55 I'm pretty happy. This project is still not real high on my list of automotive things to do, but having a hood to play with is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edit: Stock hood weighs ~24# (24.2# using the "me+hood" - "me alone" on my digital bathroom scale). That's complete - washer nozzles, "chrome" trim, hood liner, but no hinges.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Fast forward a few years and I finally sourced a cheap-ass donor hood. Checked the local Pick-n-Pull's inventory this morning and saw they had a 2006 CTS - the first time I've seen them have a CTS. I wanted to look at a couple things for my other 2 cars, so I headed over. The CTS's hood was not only intact and in decent shape, but someone had already removed it, so all the hard work was done! $55 out the door! (I occasionally look for them on Ebay, and even considered buying one a month or so ago, but about the lowest I've seen them priced was ~$250. Usually they're $300+ and then another $100+ freight on top of that, with the risk that the aluminum hood is going to get damaged along the way.)

It's not the right color, and the paint is pretty beat up along the center ridge (dragged on the gravel in the junkyard?), but for $55 I'm pretty happy. This project is still not real high on my list of automotive things to do, but having a hood to play with is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edit: Stock hood weighs ~24# (24.2# using the "me+hood" - "me alone" on my digital bathroom scale). That's complete - washer nozzles, "chrome" trim, hood liner, but no hinges.
    Do you plan on using the Lumina vents as well? I just started looking back into this. I may have an idea with carbon fiber if you are interested...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Yeah, I was planning on the Lumina vents. At some point since this thread started I found a set of the rain trays; they would have to be modified to be used, but they at least give me something to work with.

I'm all ears on the CF - shoot me a PM.

07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Living down here in East L.A. (eastern lower alabama) I really would like to do something to extract the heat also. It gets "surface of the sun hot" down here.... It looks like some drip pans would have to be fabbed up to fit around engine components and still be functional. Sounds like fiberglass time....

Found this on ebay, C7 Vette hood insert into a V1 hood...

Link to the ad? Were the selling the hood, or the car, or the D3 windshield banner ? (If it's the windshield banner, I'm guessing that goes for $225 new from D3. )

Edit: Found it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-CTS...ht_3231wt_1105. $325 for a hydro-dipped factory part. I haven't been able to find a part number for the factory part to look up what it costs without the hydro dipping..
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Link to the ad? Were the selling the hood, or the car, or the D3 windshield banner ? (If it's the windshield banner, I'm guessing that goes for $225 new from D3. )

Edit: Found it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-CTS...ht_3231wt_1105. $325 for a hydro-dipped factory part. I haven't been able to find a part number for the factory part to look up what it costs without the hydro dipping..
    Checking for you. I've already found it for $275 at another place so its basically the OEM part hydro dipped. APR makes it full carbon fiber as well for $470...

SLP also makes one for the Camaro with drip tray: http://www.slponline.com/product/620...xtractor.html#

Hines Performance too: http://www.hinesperformance.com/stor...C-Edition.html

----------

Now keep in mind, from my reading, for any of this to be helpful and not just for show we would be touching on some Pratt & Miller type fluid dynamics/air management stuff...
    I would figure there was plenty of work that went into the design of the V1 World Challenge hood and my guess is those vents were placed exactly where they were for good reason.
    Doubtful any of us are getting that involved but I am going to try and mimic that WC hood as close as possible...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.