So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Junior1 Its been done quite a few times in the Sy/Ty community with success. I think it ...
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: So maybe I'll just make a DIY Heat Extractor hood

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Its been done quite a few times in the Sy/Ty community with success. I think it would work...
    Love Sy/Ty.... Would have bought one if i didn't buy the V.

Also would love to see how the hood turns out. I wonder if there are extractors similar to the Spectre Works ones that could be fabbed in.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I wonder if there are extractors similar to the Spectre Works ones that could be fabbed in.
    As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, you can find all sorts of vents and louvers if you search around. A pretty random example that I saw recently over on corner-carvers.com - the intake louvers from a 1970s snowmobile were used on an LS-motored E36 (they flipped the louvers around so they would vent out the back rather than act as scoops).

One of my saved searches on ebay is for louvers and vents (I haven't bought anything in years, it's just one of those things I look at). There are hundreds and hundreds of things that pop up. A lot of them are garbage that I haven't figured out to filter out of the search results, but there are all sorts of things that one could be creative with.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

The real challenge may be trying to work with all the structural bracing in the hood. I spoke to my body guy today when I dropped off the car and he said that sometimes areas of the hood need to be reinforced since it's a double panel and the thickness is variable. If you peek under the felt hood mat you can see that the V's brace panel looks a bit different than the BMW in AAIIICs picture. My guy has done it before several times but he says sometimes it involves more than just cutting out the holes. I'll try to get as many pictures of the process. The results will be interesting. I'll probably do some hood pins as well since the hood waves like a piece of paper at speeds above 130. My last track outing is October 13-14th at Road America so I can see if any of these changes work.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

If you go that route, use the aero latches instead of the pins
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

IMHO, a much better use of time and money would be a ram air hood that would allow you to feed air to the intake through a straight pipe, doing away with that horrible 90 degree bend we have.

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    IMHO, a much better use of time and money would be a ram air hood that would allow you to feed air to the intake through a straight pipe, doing away with that horrible 90 degree bend we have.
    No place to put the filter unless you want to stick it above the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpeed View Post
    No place to put the filter unless you want to stick it above the hood.
    Why not? Cut a hole, stick the filter in there. Filter will be protected by the add-on scoop.

Why not? Cut a hole, stick the filter in there. Filter will be protected by the add-on scoop.
    TOtally.

funny guy. your V looks awesome.

i was thinking more along the lines of this:

scoop_challenger.jpg

Cool hood on that Challenger, but in this case we're looking to take hot air out not let cool air in.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'd rather have the aero, handling, and cooling benefits of a vented hood than the few extra HP one would get from a ram air setup.

i was thinking more along the lines of this:
    To each his own, of course, but I've seen a couple of those Challengers in person and I think the scoop looks ridiculous. On a classic muscle car the same thing looks awesome (the 60s Mopars, for instance), but on a modern car it just looks completely out of place to me.

Even a lower profile version (think WS6 TransAm or the GTOs) would look goofy IMO.

No doubt, that exact implementation would look like shit on a V. I was just trying to convey the general idea.

I disagree though that getting cool air through a straight pipe would lead to a negligible gain on a NA car. It doesn't even have to be a ram setup-- some hood scoop setups have the opening facing the driver.

No doubt, that exact implementation would look like shit on a V. I was just trying to convey the general idea.

I disagree though that getting cool air through a straight pipe would lead to a negligible gain on a NA car. It doesn't even have to be a ram setup-- some hood scoop setups have the opening facing the driver.

I stopped by the shop to see how they were making out. Holes are cut and vents are in place. So far it looks great. Next is to fasten the vents in so they stay put at speed. I may have some work in progress pics next week. Hopefully completely done by next Friday.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.