Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Headlight grey perimeter vinyl overlay - not just eyebrow - interest?

35K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  OneFast V 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been working on this for a bit recently. My lights are suffering from the common cracking, rashing, and scratching that most people's grey surrounds also suffer from. For me the eyebrows will not be enough and to me they look out of place. I have also heavily wet sanded my headlights to try to improve the situation. My defects are too deep into the plastic. So I created a vinyl overlay kit to fit all the way around the perimeter of the headlights.

I put them on today as a trial. It was not easy but not hard, best of all not permanent. I have a few minor bubbles I had to gingerly pop with the finest point from an exacto.

OK

It is a 6yr vinyl because it is stiffer and not "stretchy". I chose this for a reason. If you have ever put in vinyl, it can stretch as you work it on. This is less stretchy. It you pull to much, by the time you get to a bent it will be long. I ran into this once on each headlight and simply lapped and trimmed with an extremly sharp modeling exatco knife. This created only a minorly visible seam. For my first proto, it aint bad.

It will have 1 seam because our lights are a 3D geometry. Had to split somewhere to have a pattern lay flat for a 2D vinyl cutout. I made this seam at the bottom inboard in teh most inconspicuous place. If you take your time, really take your time, it could be done neater that mine, but it is miles better than before. It is not perfect but looks better than the mess my headlights have become.

Now the fun part. If there is interest, I will become a vendor and offer these to the forum for V and regular CTS. Unfortunately I do not have exact pricing as even though it is not much vinyl it does generate a lot of waste (I had to have the patterns nested to save more space). Depending on how many have interest the price may be between $35-40.

If you have interest reply to this and I'll take preliminary count. If there is interest I will pay to be a vendor and take orders via the site and paypal.

I currently have these setup for black and a closely matched gray to the headlights. Sorry no color matching to car colors (unless serious interest, but that will take time and $ to match) plus I need paint chips of the cars.

I will try to get some daylight pics tomorrow

What do you think? :confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
yes will have new one with eyebrow Tuesday for test fit. if successful, additional ones can be a day later. so far all i hear is a couple black with eyebrow and 1 without. once actually available i will become a vendor and provide info. These just take calm to install. first pair took me maybe 30 minutes. I had to make 2 small trims as a result of pulling the vinyl. If you pull too hard the vinyl will stretch and getting the pattern just right will be tough. Don't pull too hard and peel from trimmed backing as you apply. dont peel all off at one time. i will try to make a youtube vid of one of the lights - no promises. thanks for interest !

#36 ·
ill have my first sample Tuesday and try to out it on that night. Pricing will be available then as well when I go to get it. thanks for the interest... standby

#38 ·
I may be interested in a set as well, bneal. I just replaced both of my HID headlights due to peeling, and this would probably protect them a bit better.

#39 · (Edited)
got an email today the proto including the added material for the eyebrow is ready. I will get it tomorrow (tuesday) and try to put it on tomorrow night and post new pics. right now all available is very close to matched gray and a semi gloss black. I will inquire to a matte black as i know some have asked. Like i stated before the vinyl can be stretch - dont want to pull hard at all for a "tight" fit. You want it to be installed with no stress and the kit should line right up. If you get off track, peel back a bit, line up tou next transition and work back. this may cause a small ripple than can be cut then cut out to match as a seam. I had 2 seams and nobody noticed until i pointed them out. Getting a good 2D representation of the 3D pattern was tricky. but if you saw my pics and like them, then you should be happy! Note i am no expert on application.. just took my time and did not apply pressure until I was ready to commit.

just another note. I did wetsand my lights and could not go deep enough to clear up my troubles - hense this kit. the wet sanding a few months ago did remove surface scratches and and kicked up chips in the plastic. Remember if there are any divots or specs of anything from road rash under the overlay it may appear as a small bubble. it is reccommended you take a lubricated mild ebrasive to the area the decal will be applied to remove surface imprefections so the vinyl has a sleeker overlay. I used the turtle wax headlight restore kit.

#43 ·
Picked up some samples today. I will try to rework this weekend and post. The price will be 40 shipped.

#44 ·
:food-snacking:

#48 ·
sorry for the delay... I have:
1 black without eyelid
2 black with eyelids available right now

These were extras i bought to practice with which I did not use. I can have gray with and without and black with and without eyelids (semi gloss) in about 2 days. My cost is $40 shipped.

Note, This is not for the faintest at heart in applying. I still had to trim in 2 places as I stretched the vinyl in my application to get it "back on track". If you willing to give it a shot, I'm absolutely willing to help! See the pics below. If you like what you see - ok. Like the other poster, I believe that painting these will give impecable results, the vinyl is a self-application that runs less. I am by no means an expert at this and have only applied 2 kits. The first one without eyelids and this one. Take your time!!!

hints:
Have plastic absolutely clean with no divots, bugs, chips and such - totally smooth - preferred wetsand first
start with the bottom inside corner
trim them out (as a profile) to make easier to maneuver
trim excess backing as you apply to make easier to maneuver
work with thumb to apply pressure
If you find as you approach a corner or transition and the vinyl is hi or off mark, peel back slightly, apply at transition, this will leave a "hump" in the decal, trim it and overlap then trom at overlap point to join. I had to do this twice.
Do you BEST to not let decal stick to itself. I did not experience this. Peel as you apply only, periodically trim backing away.

Please understand I am no professional, not a business person. Just a forum member trying to address a common problem with our cars myself. I'm not looking to get rich or profit greatly for this. I think it looks great and is a step beyond the eyebrow alone and requires no professional paint. Good luck !!! hope you are happy

PM me - i'll get signed up as a vendor

Attachments

#49 ·
I really like them. I'll take the eyebrow one please!

#50 ·
This is a great solution to a major problem on my V. It pretty much looks brand new in those first pics. And really clean in the latest pics with the black vinyl and lids.

I'd like a set in gray without the eyelids whenever you get some more available.

#52 ·
uh , what?

#53 ·
I now have available:
5 black with eyebrows
1 black without
3 gray with eyebrows
2 gray without

PM if interested

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.