Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Headlight grey perimeter vinyl overlay - not just eyebrow - interest?

35K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  OneFast V 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been working on this for a bit recently. My lights are suffering from the common cracking, rashing, and scratching that most people's grey surrounds also suffer from. For me the eyebrows will not be enough and to me they look out of place. I have also heavily wet sanded my headlights to try to improve the situation. My defects are too deep into the plastic. So I created a vinyl overlay kit to fit all the way around the perimeter of the headlights.

I put them on today as a trial. It was not easy but not hard, best of all not permanent. I have a few minor bubbles I had to gingerly pop with the finest point from an exacto.

OK

It is a 6yr vinyl because it is stiffer and not "stretchy". I chose this for a reason. If you have ever put in vinyl, it can stretch as you work it on. This is less stretchy. It you pull to much, by the time you get to a bent it will be long. I ran into this once on each headlight and simply lapped and trimmed with an extremly sharp modeling exatco knife. This created only a minorly visible seam. For my first proto, it aint bad.

It will have 1 seam because our lights are a 3D geometry. Had to split somewhere to have a pattern lay flat for a 2D vinyl cutout. I made this seam at the bottom inboard in teh most inconspicuous place. If you take your time, really take your time, it could be done neater that mine, but it is miles better than before. It is not perfect but looks better than the mess my headlights have become.

Now the fun part. If there is interest, I will become a vendor and offer these to the forum for V and regular CTS. Unfortunately I do not have exact pricing as even though it is not much vinyl it does generate a lot of waste (I had to have the patterns nested to save more space). Depending on how many have interest the price may be between $35-40.

If you have interest reply to this and I'll take preliminary count. If there is interest I will pay to be a vendor and take orders via the site and paypal.

I currently have these setup for black and a closely matched gray to the headlights. Sorry no color matching to car colors (unless serious interest, but that will take time and $ to match) plus I need paint chips of the cars.

I will try to get some daylight pics tomorrow

What do you think? :confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#115 ·
i can get a few more made.

Senor = gray, tell me with or without eyelids
gmtsrt = black with

I have 1 set on hand black without eyelids. will be about a week to have more given the holiday weekend. you can pm me or paypal me at bnealsales@gmail.com. $40 paypal me and I will get them made.

Shortly 8th day creations will be making these and I no longer will be as I have released the design to them. I feel they can offer their experience to refine these as that is their core business. I made these origianlly to solve my individual problem - but they got popular.

#118 ·
got it.... thanks

anyone else want in on an order?

I'll offer more until 8th day is up and going. tell me black or gray AND with or without eyelids. PM or paypal $40 to bnealsales@gmail.com

#120 ·
ill add to order to be sent to shop tuesday. paypal when you can. ill let you know when they ship

#127 ·
Hello gents. I'm here, and can still get them if you so choose.

I see interest from:
Black10
crazy biker
04cts-Vnom

let me know via pm. if you know what you want black or gray with or without eyelids let me know and paypal to bnealsales@gmail.com

Note some have had challenges applying these, i want to state that upfront. i did mine once and mine still look great over a year old now. Some trim and overlap may be seen to fit. I am just always beat up by a few who have experienced trouble vs the majority who are quite happy. it is vinyl so some skill is required. if i can do it anyone can.

i currently have:
1 black with eyelid
1 black w/o eyelid

pm me email or number and ill cell a pic to you of my car as it sits now in my garage - or see pics midway through this thread.

#128 ·
Can still get them if interested

#133 ·
Hi team V. I will take a count throughout the week and I will have to order these then receive and ship them so I appreciate some time. The price is the same and I believe If you search back in this thread you will see pictures. The gray is the same color as the OEM surround. Note skill is required and great technique to not stretch while applying. Some have stated the pattern is not perfect but some clean trimming hides any of this if it occurs. They were made from a loose headlight. Look at the pics and judge if you like these over replacement or painting. I do. That why I made them. For me. But I will share !!!

----------

I will clean my box tomorrow (hehe). I also need to become a contributing member again as well. Mine ran out. Standby.

#135 ·
I have none available at the moment as i sold all I had last year. I can place an order at any time but would like to place one in the next week. Below is the count i have so far: (note people have asked for color matching vinyl. The shop does not have that and I would need to buy an entire roll for them to do it at 300 per roll so that is out of my league)

Laygo - gray (not identified with or without eyelids)
verywhiredevil - gray with eyelids
xbladr - black with eyelids
aantalis - black with and without (2 sets)

I will roll with this unless I get more requests and will order late this week. PM to make arrangements. I have cleaned out my inbox.

#137 ·
Laygo, so do you not want a set? The eyelids that were platinum you saw were from 8th day creations. Theirs are only the eyelids mine are the entire surround. Like I said. I'm not buying 300 in vinyl as I don't have enough interest to recoup anything close to that.

----------

I think I will make a YouTube video for these offering a better explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.