FYI If your doing DIY clear fogs....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, FYI If your doing DIY clear fogs.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Don't try and clean the inside of the housing....ugh took a little bit of water on a clean rag and, ...
    nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

FYI If your doing DIY clear fogs....

Don't try and clean the inside of the housing....ugh took a little bit of water on a clean rag and, yup rubbed some of the chrome right off...yay! And you need a shit load of clamps...I bought a set of 16 clamps and all but 1 are holding the first lens to the housing.....ya would not do this mod again, what a PITA....I would gladly spend 300$ for the sts-v fogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: FYI If your doing DIY clear fogs....

If I knew there was enough people that would buy them, I can make exact clear lens replacements that you glue on. Not a flat piece of lexan like others. Exact copies of the STS-V lens.

I'm almost wishing mine were diffused right now with the now black spots in the housing.....also FYI be careful when applying the epoxy...my dumbass didn't realize some overflowed onto the chrome, and of course I couldn't clean it off, got some off with a dry rag but thats it....now I know what people talk about when they say mod hell....ugh. And someone used to make precut lens' they sold like hotcakes....but cutting the lens' were pretty easy.

2manycars is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyFleming View Post
    If I knew there was enough people that would buy them, I can make exact clear lens replacements that you glue on. Not a flat piece of lexan like others. Exact copies of the STS-V lens.
    Troy... I would bet you could sell a bunch of them!!

I for one am personally not doing the mod, because I prefer a diffused lens/ beam... and as you said I also do not want a flat piece of lexan.

How many would you need to make of them... for it to make sense? We should see how many others are interested... I'll bet allot!

TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    Troy... I would bet you could sell a bunch of them!!

I for one am personally not doing the mod, because I prefer a diffused lens/ beam... and as you said I also do not want a flat piece of lexan.

How many would you need to make of them... for it to make sense? We should see how many others are interested... I'll bet allot!
    I am sure there are alot of owners that want clears, but don't want to remove lense and install another. Now since they would be indentical to STS-V which is GM corp, it can be considered infringing on patented parts if I am not mistaken. I used to make hard to find lights for older cars all the time with no issues but the rights on them pretty much ran out with nobody making them.

Den_93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by nikon View Post
    I'm almost wishing mine were diffused right now with the now black spots in the housing.....also FYI be careful when applying the epoxy...my dumbass didn't realize some overflowed onto the chrome, and of course I couldn't clean it off, got some off with a dry rag but thats it....now I know what people talk about when they say mod hell....ugh. And someone used to make precut lens' they sold like hotcakes....but cutting the lens' were pretty easy.
    You shouldn't use epoxy, you should use RVT Silicone. The company I used to work for makes automotive lighting and that was recommended to me. Epoxy will dry out and crack.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i used this, epoxy works just be carefull and don't slam it on

no issues after + 1 year

this mod really isn't that bad if you just take it slow.. neither are pencil beams.. they grow on you

2manycars is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyFleming View Post
    I am sure there are alot of owners that want clears, but don't want to remove lense and install another. Now since they would be indentical to STS-V which is GM corp, it can be considered infringing on patented parts if I am not mistaken. I used to make hard to find lights for older cars all the time with no issues but the rights on them pretty much ran out with nobody making them.
    So Troy... are you thinking you would make the whole assembly then... am I reading between the lines correctly?

Either way... I honestly don't think your are going to be stepping on any toes here. People make aftermarket parts all the time, and insurance company's like to try to make us use non OEM parts also for accident repairs... and they are getting away with it.

I really think you could sell these if you made them. Especially if you made a reasonably priced quality entire assembly to where someone did not have to unglue the old lens off and glue the new one on.

Either way it came... I am seeing a pent up demand here for something better than cutting & gluing on lexan... still have the diffused driving lights (which are better than a pencil beam)... would look better (factory)... fit better (the lexan leaves a gap there)... and aim better (non issue for diffused vs pencil beam) - when reading the threads on this.

Seavee just posted in an old thread that he is once again going to make aluminum interior parts again... and he already has a bunch of people committing to buying them (me for one). There is a good example of pent up demand.

Post up a new thread asking, and I'll bet you would get a good response.

ashanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V + maggie

I ran into the same issue of rubbing off a tiny bit of chrome on the inside. Fortunately I noticed right away and stopped before I did much damage.

I used pretty thick lexan on mine and the silicone or epoxy wasn't enough to hold the lens in place, always popped off a few hours later. So I baked the lenses to 315 or so, just so they got a little soft, and clamped them to the lens with no glue. After it cooled the lexan remained the same shape as the housing and I just used silicone to seal them on without any clamps.

Is the black really noticeable??? If it is my only idea is to paint the inside of the housing black, and only leave the very back chrome.

ashanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V + maggie

Nope, I have tinted lexan so you can't see any of the chrome that rubbed off.

medellea is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

i have a dillemaa and need sum advice i saw u thread and it seems to be around the corner to the problem im facing are u still on this website cus i see the thread is from 2010

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

If someone made these I would be all over it as I have heard nothing but horror stories from people doing this themselves

I tossed the fogs and got the clear diffused ones from ebay. Looks like the sts-v fogs, only cheaper.

Whats wrong with yours?

Bigtuna819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Just did this mod about 3 wks ago, wasn't bad at all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.