Headlight housing.Can I open it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Headlight housing.Can I open it? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Is it possible to open the headlight housing up? Or, does G.M. make them in black. I hate all of ...
    V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Headlight housing.Can I open it?

Is it possible to open the headlight housing up? Or, does G.M. make them in black. I hate all of the gray on my car and am trying to black out everything. I also want to black out as much of the tail light possible. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cam30era is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium FWD

Re: Headlight housing.Can I open it?

1st, GM doesn't make them. My company does. Secondly, there are small access caps at the back and on the bottom to allow you to change the bulbs. But the headlamp outer lens is glued to the housing with polyurethane adhesive. There is no way that you can open the headlamp assembly without destroying the lamp.

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

cam30era,
    Those are great lights. Any custom version availabe in the future?

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

cam30era,

Does your company (or one you know of) have the white light bulbs for the V? The main lights are fine as is, but the small bulbs next to the main lights, and the fog lights are yellow. I would like to white themm out.

Dgtal

steve711 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I am also wanting to blackout the headlight-cover's/taillight-cover's.What's the best way.?

topps is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Which company would that be?

Some answers to your questions:

Silver Baron: Thanks for the compliment. No custom versions are planned.

DgtalPimp: You need to clairfy your 1st question. For reference, the low beam in on the top (projector), the high beam in on the bottom (large reflector) and there is a small 5 watt position lamp at the inboard corner of the lamp.

Regarding your second question, the lamp assembly that is in the lower from fascia is a multi function lamp. The top half serves as the front turn signal and DRL. It must be yellow by Federal Regulation. The bottom half is the fog lamp, and it is white.

Steve711: If by "covers" you mean the headlamp lens? Good luck. That will significantly reduce the light output of the lamps.

topps: Valeo Sylvania

Cam30era

I am talking about these two bulbs (a small 5 watt position lamp at the inboard corner of the lamp and the fog lamp)

They both are "white" but look yellow compared to a true white or some times called blue.

I don't want to change the lower bulb that should be yellow, but the fog light.

When you turn all lights on at night the low beam is white and the two others are in contrast yellowish.

Dgtal

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

yeah, i'm with ya Dgtal....like the "yellowness" of Halogen vs the "whiteness" of Xenon....
    maybe (if it's possible) to get a more white bulb for the fogs and inboard lamps...?

CTS position lamp bulb

Go to your local Cadillac dealer. Ask for the "parking lamp/position lamp" bulb for for a SRX HID headlamp. This one is a so called "blue bulb". It is slightly more white shifted in color, but will not perfectly match your HID low beam. And beware, it is a lot of work to gain access to the bottom cap on the headlamp, to be able to change this bulb.

Regarding the fog lamp bulb, I repeat that it is white, not yelloow.

Re: CTS position lamp bulb

Quote Originally Posted by cam30era
    Go to your local Cadillac dealer. Ask for the "parking lamp/position lamp" bulb for for a SRX HID headlamp. This one is a so called "blue bulb". It is slightly more white shifted in color, but will not perfectly match your HID low beam. And beware, it is a lot of work to gain access to the bottom cap on the headlamp, to be able to change this bulb.

Regarding the fog lamp bulb, I repeat that it is white, not yelloow.
    Thanks for your input on the lights. I under stand the "offical" color is white for the fog light. The real world color when looked at is yellowish next to the Xenon main laights.

Dgtal

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DgtalPimp
    cam30era,

Does your company (or one you know of) have the white light bulbs for the V? The main lights are fine as is, but the small bulbs next to the main lights, and the fog lights are yellow. I would like to white themm out.

Dgtal

WAVING FLAG!!!

1. Small bulbs next to the main lights? Please clarify!!! Are you talking about the miniture size marker lights within the headlamp assy?? as in this thread? - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15790
    Apparently Those ARE change-able (and I'd use white LED's if *I* were to do it)

2. Fog Lights *I BELIEVE* are std. 9145 (find a HID or super white bulb for that size and I think you are ok - other than possible heat issues)

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    WAVING FLAG!!!

1. Small bulbs next to the main lights? Please clarify!!! Are you talking about the miniture size marker lights within the headlamp assy?? as in this thread? - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15790
    Apparently Those ARE change-able (and I'd use white LED's if *I* were to do it)

2. Fog Lights *I BELIEVE* are std. 9145 (find a HID or super white bulb for that size and I think you are ok - other than possible heat issues)

-Ben
    Ben You are correct in the thread you posted that I am talking about the blue blubs lasstss put in.

Dgtal

any easy way to change these out? Or like lasstss said he had to remove all the lower plastic?

Dgtal

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I haven't tried yet, was gonna wait until I ordered the white LED replacements (just got V back after 10 days in the shop), which hasn't been high on my prioirty list (sorry). After driving a BIG OL Chevy Truck for that long I'm just ahppy to have V back.

-Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.