Headlight housing.Can I open it? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Headlight housing.Can I open it? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by benjet I haven't tried yet, was gonna wait until I ordered the white LED replacements (just got ...
    DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V bl/bl CAGS!, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus Brakes

Re: Headlight housing.Can I open it?

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    I haven't tried yet, was gonna wait until I ordered the white LED replacements (just got V back after 10 days in the shop), which hasn't been high on my prioirty list (sorry). After driving a BIG OL Chevy Truck for that long I'm just ahppy to have V back.

-Ben
    Good to hear you got your baby back.

Dgtal

cam30era is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium FWD

Yes, the fog lamp bulb is a 9145. Be aware that when you replace a standard incadescent bulb with a "blue bulb" which, in essence has a blue coating (or filter) on the glass capsule, you are changing the color, but you are also reducing the total light output.

Also, I would recommend against installing higher power consumption (wattage) bulbs in the headlamp and the fog lamp. You will create heat related problems if you do this. This headlamp and fog lamp run extreemly hot (and has very high light output).

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by DgtalPimp
    any easy way to change these out? Or like lasstss said he had to remove all the lower plastic?

Dgtal
    If you or someone you know have small hands, you can remove the airbox and the box that houses the chipsets and fuses. You can then snake your hand to each of the three caps that you must unscrew to gain access to the bulbs. I scratched the hell out of my arms, but it is possible...

Also, I swapped out my high beams and fogs with Sylvania Silverstars. These are not an exact color match to the Xenon lowbeams, but they are as close to white as you will get with a normal bulb. I hated the 'dirty yellow' glow of the stock bulbs too...

So far I have not found an acceptable replacement for the corner marker lights (the tiny bulbs inside the headlamp assembly).

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by cam30era
    Yes, the fog lamp bulb is a 9145. Be aware that when you replace a standard incadescent bulb with a "blue bulb" which, in essence has a blue coating (or filter) on the glass capsule, you are changing the color, but you are also reducing the total light output.

Also, I would recommend against installing higher power consumption (wattage) bulbs in the headlamp and the fog lamp. You will create heat related problems if you do this. This headlamp and fog lamp run extreemly hot (and has very high light output).
    I have been running the Silverstars (which produce a higher output to achieve a whiter light) in my highbeams and fogs for about a year now and have seen no ill effect.

I would advise against running blue bulbs though, as they are very cheap in appearance and like you say, provide no advantage in lighting...

Gothicaleigh, I agree. The Silverstar is an excellent choice for a replacement bulb.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I put a blue bulb in the place of the alignment bulb. What a pain to get at the lamps.
    Cam30era. By any chance do you have anything to do with the Glass lamp used on the german export CTS?? I know its available.

Lasstss: I don't under which light source you are refering to. Yes, we also make the European version of the headlamp and fog/turn lamp. And yes, I agree it is difficult to access the lamps for bulb replacement.

All I was saying was that I replaced the small alignment bulb in the HL housing with a blue one. Looks different. This is the bulb with the wire contacts.
    By chance, do you have a pic of the euro lamp ? Is it significantly different?
    By the GM parts sheets there appears to be 4-5 different HL capsules for this car depending on where it gets shipped.

The European version looks exactly like the domestic (US) version. The light sources (bulbs) are the same. The cut off for the low beam is a little different to comply with European regulations, but you would not notice the difference. The big difference, is that the European version has dynamic leveling in the headlamp. There is a small stepper motor that receives signals from sensors on the front and rear suspension. Constantly adjusts the beam pattern to keep it level.

Thanks,
    What is the number of the high beam bulb in the V?

All CTS's use the 9005 for high beam.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.