Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to remove grill for painting

Tags
feedback
15K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  2007ThunderV 
#1 ·
Okay, so i searched and it seems i can remove the upper grill without taking the bumper off. My question is the lower grill, can it be removed without removing the bumper? Any body got pics? I am looking to blast and then paint and clear this tonight, so any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Ok, so i removed the upper by just pushing out the plastic pins, then once it was out i was able to do the same thing to the lower.

Does anyone know what material the wire mesh is? It is not magnetic, so it may be polished stainless?

I will post pics later.

#6 ·
Are you going to paint the grill, or are you having it powder coated? Powder coating will hold up better to the abuse that the front end takes.

If he is having them powder coated (not painted) than they just need to be metal. They don't need to be magnetic. The metal parts are electricaly charged (positive), and the powder is negitively charged; so it sticks to the part.

#15 ·
There may be other, better threads to bump, but I found this one while searching. How does one remove the upper grille without removing the bumper? When I removed the grille to powdercoat it a few years ago, I pulled the bumper. If I can get the grille off without all that work I would much rather do it that way.

So, what's the trick?

#16 ·
skinny arms haha.. you need to get at all the clips at the bottom of the upper grill. you need to get a screw driver behind the grill to pop the bottm most GM push pin clips..

its possible.. here is the only pic i have with the wide mouth bass look

#20 ·
Just to let all of you who want to paint it or have just painted the upper and lower grill and trim, I had both grills and trim painted and clear coated and now it looks like complete crap. There's paint chips all over the trim and the mesh (upper and lower). I would highly recommend not painting any of it. Hope this result helps anyone.

#23 ·
I took the bumper off for this, otherwise I knew I would be breaking a bunch of clips. The bumper is really easy to remove and then its really easy to get the grills off.

Reactions: 2007ThunderV
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.