Cadillac Owners Forum banner
28K views 79 replies 27 participants last post by  JD03Cobra 
#1 ·
I know there are a few threads on this already but they all seam to lack pictures. Since i had never seen pictures of the steps in this DIY, i had been hesitant to do this mod so hopefully this will get someone off the fence and plunge them into mod hell..

here is ONE of the many the writes up i used:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...clear-fogs-hid-kit-installed.html#post1110020
thanks svb4. this one was really helpfull

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...007/85527-installing-foglights-writeup-3.html

Well i picked up a set of unused YGMS smoked lenses($50) from a forum member and a set of spare fog light housings from another member($80). supplies cost $9 @ lowes.

Today i baked my fog lights, disassembled both and was able to glue on one of the lenses. had the oven at 350* then turned it off.. both of the fogs were in there for 6-7 mins then i pulled one out and worked on it till it cooled off and rotated for the one in the oven. just don't rush and keep them hot.. IT went a lot faster then i thought.I got carried away and made some marks and started snipping the divider, and ended up with a decent cut but if i was going to do it again i would have used the first divider to trace a cutting line on the second divider. but its all 20:20 in hind sight,right .

then i wet sanded the metal divider with 200grit to make it look better and used 220 fine grit to rough up the plastic.. I used Loctite pastix bonder as the main glue with loctite stick'n seal to put on after to make sure everything is waterproof. Im still not done so if you have any questions or pic requests let me know..

See less See more
#41 ·
i still dont get why you highlighted that line..:hmm:

any one know the recommended height for fog light beams? like from XXfeet back from a wall the fog beam should be XXft high.......

#44 ·
naw. I never bolded the pencil beam part but 76 did :hmm: just curious about its meaning.

Thanks 05v

#49 ·
damn those are dark... what do they look like with the fogs on?? got any HIDs?

#50 ·
:UPDATE:

IMO.. the first thing you need to do is get rid of the DRL's... no HID fogs should be allowed to run with that amber shit... :rant2:

I have DDM 55watt @ 8000k.. Maybe slitherjoe, ahhhhu or LiqVen could vouch that they match the stock low beam pretty well... pics don't do them justice in imo..

Low beam & fogs

Just Fogs

remember i have smoked lenses so results may vary

stock vs smoked

#53 · (Edited)
Do them after your exams doc... it's just a little baking and prying.. really not as bad as it seems.. PM me with any questions..

lol... and it was day time... are they really that bright in your rear view??

I forgot how good my :v: looks on stockers

don't mind the Z71 look, the shocks were still jacked up from lifting the car... either way I still need a drop.. oh & the paint was for rusty rotor hats

#52 ·
Looks good man. I need to just do this already. I've had YGMS clear fogs for like....a year :canttalk:

#57 ·
i think your referring to the black reflector that goes in-front of the stock fog bulb.. My fogs didn't have that reflector.. i don't really know why.. i bought them used off another forum member unopened..

I wish i did have this reflector because my fogs are pencil beams.. i would rather them cast out to the sides.. but i guess it comes down to preference... what type of beam you want and if you have the bulb clearance in the housing.
here is the Fog light aiming procedure sent to me by DarkMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadybx7
darkman,

i was just wondering if you could help me out with some service manual info. I need to adjust my fog lights and want to know if there are any parameters in the service manual i should go by. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

will
FOG LIGHT AIMING PROCEDURE:
1. Make sure that all components of the car are in place, such as spare tire, 1/2 tank of fuel.
2. Jounce the car to settle suspension.
3. Park the car on a level surface 25 feet (7.6 m) from the target screen.
4. Measure the distance from the floor to the center of the foglamp.
5. Using the measurement in step 4, mark the horizontal centerline on the target screen directly in front of the car.
6. Start the car to level the suspension.
7. Turn Fog lamps on.
8. Through the opening in the front air deflector below the fog lamp aces the fog lamp vertical adjuster.
9. Adjust the fog lamp up or down until the top edge of the high intensity zone on the screen is 102 mm (4 inches) below the horizontal centerline marked in step 5.
10. Turn off car/fog lamps when complete.
Forward Message

#58 ·
Hmm, guess I'll leave that reflector in then. I never use my fogs anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

The smallest sheet my local hardware store had (in tinted) was 18x24 or something like that so I have enough for a second set. If anyone wants to buy the second set from me let me know.

#60 ·
Here is another update after a bunch of PMs with questions..

LENSES

IMO,Thickness doesn't really matter to much, just use your judgement nothing to thin... MY YGMS lenses are thin and they have led up great. You need a sheet of Lexan that is at least 8-1/4 in Wide X 8 in Height..Then you will have to trim the lenses down to 8in wide X 7-5/8 H..Your going to have to heat the Lexan up in the oven and bend it in slightly from the sides.. so it concave like the OEM lenses..

The cuts don't have to be perfect either they are hidden by the bumper.. BEST ADVICE... fill in the void left by the original lenses with epoxy almost to the top.. let it sit for a day..USE 50-100grit sand paper on the outer edges of the lenses and the fog housing to promote adheasion.. dont go crazy and dont get sloppy.. Then Mix your epoxy, apply it and USE as many CLAMPS as possible.. I only used 4... i should of used more.. i had to fill in voids with epoxy when the lenses are curing. so learn from my mistake... Finally dunk test them by filling a shallow pan with water and dunking the face of the fogs into the water.

#65 ·
good luck Hxc and thanks for the second opinion.. they look different in person than in photos

so is epoxy the best thing to use or silicone?
Epoxy for sure. the housings have a curve to them. so you need some strong glue. go to lowes and buy this:

I used the epoxy first then followed up with the stick N seal to fill in any gaps. i ended up doing a light bead around the whole fog lens on the seem just for overkill... i would hate to blow a HID Bulb because of condensation..

#67 · (Edited)
I did my fogs quite awhile ago, but never posted pics. Since this seems to be the best "How To Make Your Fogs Clear" thread, might as well make it legendary. Here are a few of my install pics as well as before and after shots. I used the same expoxy Shady used earlier on in the thread. The bulbs are stock (soon to be brighter once I decide what bulbs I want). After expoxying and sealing them with silicone or the Loctite stuff Shady and I used, I recommend getting a bucket of water and testing them (as seen in the pic). Last thing you want is a leaky fog light blowing out your nice new bulbs. As you can see I went to town with the Loctite Stik and Seal (after epoxying with the clamps) to make sure I didn't have any leaks for the water test. I suggest doing this, because as you can see in the pics, the gasket blocks the outside of the lights anyway, and you can't see it. Hope this helps someone. Excuse the dirty car....it is my DD and the roads were salty from snow. PM me if you have questions.

#68 · (Edited)
heres mine. we cut the lexan, put screws in each corner (be careful cuz it can crack) added silicone, then on they went. didnt have to wait over night. screws are still in, you cant see them cuz the bumper covers them. props to scott for helping me with this one, or actually he did them, i watched :highfive:

#69 ·
Looks good. I feel like they REALLY set the silver off....even better than the black :crying2:

#70 ·
Looks Great guys!!! the way it should of came from the factory...

this LOOKS like overkill but its not!!! I found out the hard way that you can never have enough clamps when working with thick lexan... Great pics Matt and your right, the bucket test is a must..

#71 ·
:yeah:

The more clamps the better. I mean, they were a dollar a piece at Home Depot and you'll probably use them again for another project. I thought I went a little more overkill on the Stik n' Seal to be honest. I mean that light was like a drum for sure.

BTW, I forgot to note that these are the original YGMS lenses that I actually received from him. I think he shipped like....5 of the 20 or so sets and I got lucky :sneaky: I think Lexan is pretty much the same stuff though, and gives the same results. Just do it if you haven't. It's easy.

#72 ·
Looks great! So when you put the new piece of Lexan on, do you have to heat it up first to make it bend or simply using the clamps is enough pressure to do this?

#73 · (Edited)
some do.. some don't...I have YGMS lenses like C4ss.. and thats what YGMS did. he heated the lexan and then using gloves and a football, he created the curve.. his lenses also have raised blocks of lexan that fit nicely into the housing.. You really dont have to do any of this.. if you:

1. use alot of clamps like C4ss with the glue we used
2. don't use super thick lexan.it doesn't have to be that thick. check poast #60

you could also just do it west coast style, drill a pilot hole in the corner each lens and housing then slap on some glue and screw that sucker down..

good luck, clear fogs make this car look so much classier IMO.. you don't see benz's and BMW's running around with amber DRLS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.