Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
Filling the wheel well requires a drop it would seem. I was looking into 18,19,20+ inch wheels. Without balling up your speedo and computer inputs it looks like the same OD is the way to go. I did find a Bridgestone in a 255-45-18. Slightly larger OD (looks better) slightly wider (good thing)...Not off far enough in diameter to cause problems and hose up the already stiff ride. It looks like the wider the tire, the lower the profile. The 265-275-30-20 would ride like an old truck, there is no sidewall !

#2 ·
I was looking at a set of HRE or Asanti wheels. 19x8.5 and 19x9.5. Wearing 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 SP2. Just waiting for WAF.

I am also hoping someone comes out with a suspension kit that lowers the car just a bit (1/2-3/4 in front and 1-1.5 in back). I have seen (sat in) Mallett's CTS-V with the 19s and his suspension (which lowers it 1/2" and 1.25") and it looks awesome.

Bill

#7 ·
If you get rid of the run flats, you have the spare, jack & stuff problem. What are you going to do about that? The incert for the spare in the trunk will not accept a tire either. I would like to go to a different tire but there are a lot of obsticles to overcome!

#9 ·
I've been driving for over 20 years and I put between 40,000 and 60,000 miles annually on 3 cars. To date I have NEVER had a flat while driving down the road. I've had slow leaks from picking up a nail or screw in the tread, but never an all out flat while driving down the road. Not saying you shouldn't worry about it, just saying it's never happened to me.

#10 ·
Don't we have "Roadside Assistance" with our year of OnStar anyway. Why have a spare? I've driven my last 4 vehicles over 170k miles each and the only flat I ever got was from a big piece of ice I hit on our wonderful Michigan highways and it took out the tire and the rim and a lug so a spare wouldn't have helped anyway (but roadside assistance did).

#11 ·
The plastic insert in the trunk will come out (did it). The hardest part would be finding a spare. I feel the same as "CVP33", many cars, no flats. I figure with onstar and a cell phone I can take care of that problem. Regardless, I want some type of chrome or forged wheel and a bigger tire for the back. Wish I could find out who makes the 18" 1-peice forged wheel for Mallet.

Shane

#16 ·
Clinton,

Your tires are defective as are mine. I have a little over 8,000 miles and the rears are gone. These GoodYears are made with a rubberized substance that literally melts as the car is driven normally. I have found evidence of this inside the wheel wells, on the rear quarters and have actually found patches of this at the exit of my neighborhood. Does anyone else have the same problem? :hmm:

#17 ·
CVP33 said:
Clinton,

Your tires are defective as are mine. I have a little over 8,000 miles and the rears are gone. These GoodYears are made with a rubberized substance that literally melts as the car is driven normally. I have found evidence of this inside the wheel wells, on the rear quarters and have actually found patches of this at the exit of my neighborhood. Does anyone else have the same problem? :hmm:
Hahaha!

Try explaining that to the cop.

#18 ·
Funny you should mention that. I was pulled over for "exhibition of speed" on Monday. Shifted into second and the dreaded wheel hop gave me away. Got off with a warning. Hilarious to me as during my exhibition of speed I did not exceed the speed limit.

#20 ·
Maybe someone out there can clear up a question I have on the selection of tires for our V's. I presume run flats are heavier than other types of tires due to their construction. I was always under the impression that max performance for handling was a function of as little unsprung weight as possible. I like the tires and they grip well in wet and dry plus the convenience of a run flat is nice, BUT for max performance would another choice have been better?

#21 ·
Runflats are not necessarily heavier than non-runflats; the overall tire materials/constuction is a larger factor in the weight than the heavier bands used in the sidewall. Where RF's are heavier, it's only 1-2 lbs heavier... even being unsprung weight, this would not offset the ~30-50lbs for a spare.

Couldn't find the weight of the Goodyears...

For 245/45/18:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflat - 31lbs
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 non-runflat - 30lbs

#22 ·
CVP33 said:
Clinton,

Defective? Well, most tires in the F1's class (SO2's, Contisports, RE050's, AVS's) wear in 8 - 12k miles, ESCECIALLY with the TQ the V has...sucks, but I'd expect this from these types of tires.

#24 ·
I was just kidding but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Tires don't last long for me on any car. Even the LHS has problems with excessive wear, but only on the fronts. Maybe they're defective as well? :lildevil:

#25 ·
CVP33 said:
I was just kidding but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Tires don't last long for me on any car. Even the LHS has problems with excessive wear, but only on the fronts. Maybe they're defective as well? :lildevil:
it's defective alright.
cough defective right foot cough
:D

#26 ·
CVP33 said:
Clinton,

If any of you who are wearing through your Goodyears want 2 more for the rear, I can sell you half of my set. Less than 1k miles on the tires. Just let me know, I have 4 sitting but I only have them in case I blow a Michelin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.