Tires/wheels - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Tires/wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Clinton, Your tires are defective as are mine. I have a little over 8,000 miles and the rears are gone. ...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Re: Tires/wheels

Clinton,

Your tires are defective as are mine. I have a little over 8,000 miles and the rears are gone. These GoodYears are made with a rubberized substance that literally melts as the car is driven normally. I have found evidence of this inside the wheel wells, on the rear quarters and have actually found patches of this at the exit of my neighborhood. Does anyone else have the same problem?

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Clinton,

Your tires are defective as are mine. I have a little over 8,000 miles and the rears are gone. These GoodYears are made with a rubberized substance that literally melts as the car is driven normally. I have found evidence of this inside the wheel wells, on the rear quarters and have actually found patches of this at the exit of my neighborhood. Does anyone else have the same problem?
    Hahaha!

Try explaining that to the cop.

Funny you should mention that. I was pulled over for "exhibition of speed" on Monday. Shifted into second and the dreaded wheel hop gave me away. Got off with a warning. Hilarious to me as during my exhibition of speed I did not exceed the speed limit.

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Yep, happened to me too at the beach. Laid a nice patch in my IROC Camaro. Did not exceed the speed limit, but got a warning. Cop was nice and said he could have ticketed me for reckless driving.

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Maybe someone out there can clear up a question I have on the selection of tires for our V's. I presume run flats are heavier than other types of tires due to their construction. I was always under the impression that max performance for handling was a function of as little unsprung weight as possible. I like the tires and they grip well in wet and dry plus the convenience of a run flat is nice, BUT for max performance would another choice have been better?

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Runflats are not necessarily heavier than non-runflats; the overall tire materials/constuction is a larger factor in the weight than the heavier bands used in the sidewall. Where RF's are heavier, it's only 1-2 lbs heavier... even being unsprung weight, this would not offset the ~30-50lbs for a spare.

Couldn't find the weight of the Goodyears...

For 245/45/18:
    Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflat - 31lbs
    Bridgestone Potenza S-03 non-runflat - 30lbs

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Clinton,

Defective? Well, most tires in the F1's class (SO2's, Contisports, RE050's, AVS's) wear in 8 - 12k miles, ESCECIALLY with the TQ the V has...sucks, but I'd expect this from these types of tires.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

the rears in my Porsche went in 10K miles.

I was just kidding but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Tires don't last long for me on any car. Even the LHS has problems with excessive wear, but only on the fronts. Maybe they're defective as well?

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I was just kidding but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Tires don't last long for me on any car. Even the LHS has problems with excessive wear, but only on the fronts. Maybe they're defective as well?
    it's defective alright.
    cough defective right foot cough

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Clinton,

If any of you who are wearing through your Goodyears want 2 more for the rear, I can sell you half of my set. Less than 1k miles on the tires. Just let me know, I have 4 sitting but I only have them in case I blow a Michelin.

Cal,

I tried to PM you but your file was full. I'm interested and I'm in Chesapeake, VA. PM me with how much and a suitable meeting place.

Thanks,

Chris

Cal,

I wanted to publicly thank you for selling me your old runflats. I'm always leary about buying high ticket items over the net. I've never been burned, knock on wood, but I'm always nervous about it. Goodyear Runflats arrived today as promised and condition was just as described. Thanks a lot!!!

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.