3rd Brake Light not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, 3rd Brake Light not working in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello all, went to get my '05 cts-v safety inspected yesterday and they told me I didn't pass because my ...
    caddyVkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

3rd Brake Light not working

Hello all,

went to get my '05 cts-v safety inspected yesterday and they told me I didn't pass because my third brake light is out (the one on the top of the trunk)... I went to the dealer and they told me I need to wait a week for them to even see it, he said it might not be as easy as changing a bulb, they also said it wouldn't be covered under my GM extended warranty (???). I need to get plates for my car, Im driving around illegally... anyone know the fastest way to get that brake light working? Anyone's ever stop working so quick?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 3rd Brake Light not working

The 3rd brake light on these cars is actually a neon bulb, not LED or incandescent. Check your fuse for the rear lights- if that's not it, then try removing the liner inside the trunk lid and checking the wire harness connection there. If the light is bad and you need another one you'll have to replace the whole rear bezel that includes the reverse lights (the brake light comes as part of this assembly).
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Lindsay Cadillac is offline Alexandria, Va
    Automobile(s): Work on them all...

The third brake light is separate from the bezel, but you do have to remove the rear bezel to remove the brake light. The light itself is not serviceable so if it's malfunctioning you have to replace the whole thing. I'd check for power and ground at the harness connector going to the lamp and if you have both, then it's time for a new one. The white wire is power and the black wire is ground, with the key on and brakes applied you should have power and ground.

The part number for the lamp assembly is 15778802.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I don't know why your GM extended warranty wouldn't cover it. I had condensation in mine and it was replaced under warranty (still on regular warranty, though). My service advisor also said that it was a non-serviceable part that had to be totally replaced (just the CHMSL, not the whole rear bezel). I would inquire why they would suggest that it wasn't covered.

Weird- we've always just ordered the whole assembly for CHMSL malfunctions. Nice catch, James.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

I can tell you from first hand experience that GMPP won't cover the CHMSL (aka - third brake light)... It falls under the same category as light bulbs, which aren't covered...

Wow, so GMPP has different coverage specifics from regular factory warranty?

Factory warranty and GMPP coverage are different. GMPP does not cover things that are considered "wear" items.

Neither does regular factory warranty, though. <Shrug>

Factory warranty is a lot less restrictive... Except for brakes, tires and wipers at least...

Ah, I see. I did not know that. Muy interesante.

caddyVkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had a shop look at the light today and they said it was malfunctioning. They told me they that the part I need is backordered right now and that I would need to be put on a "special parts accquisation list". He explained the list basically to mean that there is a list of people waiting for this part and that I had to wait an unknown amount of time for the part to be located or manufactured and sent to me. Anyone know about these things? This seems like a way bigger deal then it needs to be.

Cadillac Tony: I tried to PM you but I fall a few messages too short for it to give me permission. Can I get the part off of you? PM me, along with your email so I can reply. Thanks

How can this not be covered by the extended warranty that I paid a high dollar amount for? Its not a bulb, its a whole assembly that needs to be replaced. Is there any way I can get my dealer to pay for this?

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Ah, I see. I did not know that. Muy interesante.
    Debe estar tomando clases de español últimamente

No, I'm just silly.

I think I still have a spare complete rear bezel sitting in a box in my garage, brand new. I'll check later and make sure it has the light assembly included and let you know.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL

www.cadillactony.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.